All Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Hi all well I go by the name MAME_KING but for some reason is baby mario :) I'm new to this sh!t so if you see some dumb a$$ post then you know who it is.... I like what you guys are doing here I think is sweet I love all the old skool games I'M A 80's kid so I hope for one day of getting all this knowledge from you guys to contribute so with that I will leave by saying nice to meet ya. I do have one dumb a$$ question though just a thought when it be sick to come up with a emulator or some sort to be able to play live against each other in our community :gamer:

Thanks

Mame_King

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm Steve. Years ago I remember downloading a galaxian emulator from a bbs (yes before the Internet as we know it was born). And that emulator eventually became Mame! In the early days of emulation I ran a website called backyard emulation links that ran for a few years before life got in the way (well marriage and buying a house to be precise) I even wrote a couple of front ends for some of the early command line emulators... As the wife wont let me have a full arcade cab in the house (im working on that though) I've bought an arcade joystick (scorpion xg-2) to play all my retro games with. I was using maximus arcade as my front end but have just swapped to hyper spin. I'm now going to spend the next few weeks setting that up with the help of the vids from this site and I may even have a go at creating a few themes of my own...

Look forward to spending some time on here.

Cheers,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just finished building my first mame cab and came across this site when searching for content for my front end.

I have to say that this is great comunity and has excelent content for all your front end needs.

Subscribed imdiately to help suport this growing comunity.

Anyway I hope to see you all in the forums.

Happy button bashing all. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hello all

My name is Adilson, a 42 yo technical account manager, old timer gamer from Joinville, Brazil, who only recently decided to build his cabinet. Right now I have the software working but will write my own laucher because I can't find anything that satisfies me running on linux.

Let's have a look...

I think that this will be my first post here on emumovies, even I am a member for some time.

I am TeddyKGB, some of you will know me from hyperspin, I'm known for my bad english.

Althought I was tought for a couple of years, it have to use the dictionary when I post something.

What do I have to say about me ? I'm from Germany and besides Hyperspin/Emulation I know

NOTHING about computers compared to most of you guys.

This is my first post, and maybe you have to laugh if you see my joining date, me too... I think I'm

a member for more than two years now.

Hello everyone, my name is Patrik, 39 years old, i'm swedish, though i live in Norway, which i have for almost 17 years now.

Love gaming, all my allowances went to the arcades back then, been looking into emulation for several years now on and off for nostalgia trips. But missed the real feel of the arcade machine so now i'm building my own Mame cabinet and want everything as cool looking as iv'e seen on several videos on You Tube, and found out that this is the place to be when it comes to getting all the cool stuff for the front end. Got alot of work ahead of me on both the cabinet and the computer and Front-end as well.

Cheers :drinks:

Hi all.

I'm Humes from Trinidad & Tobago. Just started an annual subscription.

I've always been into retro gaming, particularly MAME and anything from the 16-bit era, and I've wanted to put together a collection for a while. I didn't even realise how comprehensively it could be done (with front-ends, video samples etc) until I stumbled on this site and an Italian MAME site last year. Since then I've been painstakingly building and sorting my collection, and configuring it with Maximus Arcade. It's been tough at times, but it's a labor of love...those games meant a lot to me during those years.

My collection is headed for a HTPC as soon as it's sufficiently done.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

built my mame in 2006, got it working ok with mamewah(neva really like cuz fonts was too small),, it went to storage for a few years while i traveled the world, settled back, got online, and found Hyperspin!! cool looking FE so now im catching back up, relearning and learning new stuff. prolly gonna get more in depth using command line mame and I find myself spending most of my time lately updating for HS....which brings me here! :)

question,,bout how long after purchasing paid subscription before i would get access to flv's and such?? just curious.

thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm Jordi from The Netherlands. I'm 35 years of age, and I've been gaming ever since I could reach the controls in the arcades. Retro-gaming will always have a special place in my heart! Hope to build a sweet MAME-and-other-emulators-cabinet and with all the art and video on this site I will be able to make my Hyperspin front-end look terrific! Thanks to everyone who's made (and is making) this possible!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am James from Florida. Hoping to some day have a Mame cabinet of my own, but for now just trying to get HS all setup and customized. There is just so much customized content to be thankful for, it was so easy to make a donation here as well as the HS site. Thanks so much to all involved for all the amazing work.

Glad to be here :)

Hi,

I'm Raphael from France.

I'm making my first MameCab ... My project is on good way. I just started the computer 2 days ago !!!

The cab is almost finished excepted for the artwork, but I'm not very good for that, so it will probably take a long long time to be finished.

Anyway, your site is awsome, I found all the video I needed and it's working very fine for Mame with Hyperspin.

I have some problem with the others emulators, the videos are in the directory but aren't displayed ... I'm sure I'll fixe this problem soon and I have to take a look in the different forums, maybe the solution is somewhere here !!!

Thanks for the great job you do.

Make sure that the video names match your rom names. Our download service matches the names automatically or there are utilities such as skinny match in our download section that will help you do this.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I found this thread and thought I would introduce myself so here goes!

My name is Mike and my second home is at the forums for GameEx where I am a moderator. I reside in Jacksonville, FL and have been married to my best friend for over 8 years now. I have assisted in the raising of two stepsons from my first marriage and a a stepson and stepdaughter in this one. In my spare time I like gaming on my Xbox 360 and the PC and I am also a prolific theme creator for GameEx.

I am pleased to see that the forums here are every bit as active and supportive as those for GameEx so I will probably start to spend more time here as well and hope to make some contributions of my own. The movies from here are great and really make my various HTPC projects sparkle!

Hey everybody..... I'm really new to this scene but I am finding that I've become addicted, which is a good thing I think..(neglected kids crying in the background). Anyways I've decided to come out of the lurker closet and I promise to post things once I figure out how to do that, for right now I'm trying to perfect Hyperspin for the cabinet I plan on eventually getting.. I lost my emulator virginity about a month ago, but ive been collecting consoles and games ever since I had a 2600 in the eighties, as well my friends and family in the real world are in or trying to get into the industry, (my bro-in law worked for EA and now works at an indie developer in Van, his bro worked on mod nation racers, my son 14, is a minecraft griefer and uses gamemaker to create his own games, and finally my best friend is finishing up at the vancouver film school as a narative(?) guy, Im an artist by night and an electrician by day....blah blah blah Ill shut up now... PS I really appreciate all the hard work that this and other communities have done thanks :crazy:

Well, I should probably introduce myself.

My real name is Aaron. I currently live my dad, and his new future wife. I say future, knowing full well that by the time I realize I have made this post, months from now, they'll probably be married, and this introduction no longer matters. But anyway... I go by hansolo77. Always have, and always will. Sorta like my dad back in the 80's. He was known as Captain Sulu on the old Atari BBS's. My real mom was known as Lady in Lace. Now that I'm older, I can see the reasons for these names, although at the age of 6, it never really dawned on me. Of course, Sulu has his own ship now, the USS Excelsior. So dad's name sorta doesn't fit well anymore. Maybe Captain Chekov woulda been better! Hehe. But I'm going on about things that aren't about me. I created the hansolo77 persona back when we had a Freenet, the local dialup internet available through our public library. When registering, I wanted a screenname that was cool, like Dad's. I decided to go with my favorite character from Star Wars (since Dad's was his favorite from Star Trek). Unfortunately, somebody had already taken hansolo, so I had to go with two 7's at the end. When I was on the Freenet, I participated in MUD's, and was a MOD in the MUD "Infinity", which I believe still runs today. I went by Lance in the MUD though, because hansolo77 was a bit out of the context for the MUD genre. When I wasn't playing in the MUD, I played on my brother's 3-part monster console.. the Sega Genesis/CD/32X. When I wasn't doing that, I played on Dad's Atari ST (where I logged into said MUD). Before that, we played on one of two of Dad's Atari 800 computers. He was a bit of a pirate back in his day. He worked in a small appliance repair shop in the mall, and they sold the Atari Cartridges. He would take a new, unopened game, and rip the ROM to a floppy disk. Back in those days, you could store probably 15 or so games on a single floppy disk. So he would do that, and then use their resealing machine to repackage the game so it looked brand new. We had probably 100 disks with 15 games each on them, so a LOT of games. When the Atari ST came to market, Dad was a big Atari dealer and bought one. He joined a local user group of pirates, where they traded copies of games with each other, and so, again, we had over 500 Atari ST games. When we weren't playing on the Atari's, we were over at our friends house playing on his Nintendo NES. When his parents finally got him a Sega Genesis, suddenly I was left in the dust to play on the classic Atari's and online MUDs. After the buzz of the 32X started to die down, my brother got his SECOND console for Christmas, the Nintendo 64. So we then had 2 Atari 800's, an Atari ST, the Sega Genesis/CD/32X, and the Nintendo 64. All of which belonged to other people. For myself, when the PlayStation finally came to market, I just had to buy one for myself to call my own. I was so impressed with the quality of the system, and that the controller was so much easier to use than the Nintendo 64. Of course, being that it was MY system, I was quick to find out how to do my own generation's version of pirating. I learned quickly from the internet, that you can use the SWAP method while using a Gameshark. I did that for a while, then the GoldFinger, which was similar, but was built using Yaroze, which bypassed the security checks inplace. I finally got a mod chip though, because I was sick of having to swap out a legit game to play a backup. Once I got my chip, the rest was history. I started my own user group at school and work. I was in highschool now, so the community available to me was really booming. I was charging $5 for a copied game, and $10 if they wanted a label/case to go with it. If they had a game I didn't, I did a fair 1 to 1 trade for free. I know I should be in jail for it, but it was all in good fun. I think overall, I only made about $50 bucks, and the rest were all just free trades. When it was all said and done, I've got a lot of Playstation games in 4 350-disk binders stashed in the closet. They still work on my chipped Playstation, but I've moved on to bigger, better things. When the Playstation 2 came out, of course I was eager to mod it and start my collection all over again. I never did get it chipped. My PS2 was one of the older generation ones, that had a lot of trouble reading CD's. That didn't stop me from getting a network adapter and participating in the online gaming. When I registered on the Playstation Network, somebody had actually already taken my hansolo77 name for their own, so I had to come up with something else. I chose ChewVodka. I like the way it rolls off the tongue, and the comments I get about it; "dude, you can't CHEW vodka.. oh wait, it's like CHEWBACCA!!! hehe I get it!". I participated in the Playstation Network's Gamer Advisory Panel, where you get prerelease games to beta test on the network. I met quite a few guys doing that, that are still friends to this day. We play on the Xbox 360 now. I never got a PS3. When it came down to decision time on which to get, a PS3 or Xbox 360, my deciding factor was; can I mod it to play backups? The original purpose of this decision wasn't because I wanted to pirate more games. I'm older and wiser now. I wanted the ability to play a backup, wilst keeping the originals safe. This actually turned out to be a GREAT idea. For those who don't know, from the GameEx forum, I'm a survivor of a house fire. It totally destroyed like 90% of my things. One of the things that didn't make it, was the ORIGINAL copies of like 6 of my Xbox 360 games. Microsoft said they wouldn't replace them, as their warranty doesn't cover "acts of GOD", which it wasn't, but whatever. All I have is my backups to play now. So backing up is a GOOD thing, and I recommend EVERYBODY do it. You never know when something disasterous could happen. So how did I get here, mixed up in all this ROM and emulating stuff? Well.... My 2nd job I had was at a computer Tech Support call center. People would call in having trouble getting their computers connected to the internet. It was a great job, cept for the management (but its like that everywhere you go). My direct supervisor was a really cool guy though. There would be extrememly slow nights, where we would just sit around sometimes for an hour between calls. On the weekends, our call center was used just as an emergency overflow (calls were so low, we were just there incase another call center got really REALLY busy, which almost never happened). On the weekends, it would sometimes be 4 hours between calls. So to pass the time, our way cool supervisor actually allowed us to install the FUSION Sega Genesis emulator. We would sit there and play bomberman all day against each other! I got busted though, and was playing Sonic Spinball during a "regular" day where calls were like 5 minutes between. So because of my ignorance, he had to scold me, and then we weren't allowed to play anymore on weekends. Bummer. But that didn't stop me. I still played them at home! Haha, take that management! Because of the pirate nature of my upbringing, I now wanted to collect EVERY ROM and EVERY EMULATOR out there. I then learned of GameEx, way back in its infancy. I was one of the very first people to have it. I loved the way it allowed me to just go right in, browse to the game I want to play, and just play it, without having to do a lot of work. Then I saw some videos where people were using it to display ARTWORK, like boxes, screenshots, etc. I thought this was a great idea, and started getting those. Shortly after, I became aware of Circo and his videos. This is just the next greatest thing! When I first knew of Circo, he was a bit of a shy guy, a lurker in the GameEx forums. He didn't really say much, and it looked like everybody was just taking advantage of all his hard work. He had this website, but it wasn't at all what it is today. With that being said, I'd like to express my own thanks to Circo, for all the help he's provided the community and to me personally in fulfilling my (apparent) life long dream!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest metalthrix

Hi everyone ! I just paid Lifetime subscription to support this wonderful community ! I want to thank everybody that already contributed ! So to everyone have a very nice day !

HI,

Laurent from France,

third cab, with hs1, greatsite!! but donwload service is to slow :) (24kbps ^^)

But ftp is great !

No sega saturn Intro for HS?

Thx !

It should be a whole heck of a lot faster than that, if you continue to have issues like that please create a support ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm not good with post so I will try to make it short and sweet. I've made 5 cabs in my time but none for myself. Reason is because I am a perfectionist and if I made for myself, it will never be perfect. Recently with more time on my hands, I have finally decided to set out my adventure and create one myself. While stumbling through the vast net I came upon a lovely video that introduced Hyperspin-FE. I fell in love and after hearing that EmuMovies was one of the best places to grab HQ videos to incorporate with HS, I was sold. Since I fallen in love with this websites ideas and vast amounts of user generated content, I decided I should help. So far I have been going through the number of "Missing" videos and proudly put them onto the FTP for people to use/or not. I would like to help out in anyway I can and will also try to help with requested videos as well.

Now even though this post is fairly long I need to give a warning. I am a lurker, I usually do not post in forums unless I need to give a opinion or if asked a question. I will do my best in regulating being here on the forums and help out as much as possible.

Cheers!

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there ppl! I'm just getting into the emu world and plan on budding a cab for my sons and myself (maybe the wifey will even play?) I'm finding out that 90-95% of the build is going to be the software side and not the actual cab. Thanks to all who've devoted their time and effort in these projects!! It makes it a whole lot easier for a Johnny come lately like me ;-) anyway I just wanted to say Hi! fb69

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I started messing around with emulators during the big psp hacking haydays a few years back . Since then I've been working on building an unusual rotating crt monitor style cab for the last couple of years. I'm not as far as I should be but the hard part (planning, buying material, building the frame, learning C for the auduino,...etc) is for the most part done. I haven't decided on the Control Panel design yet but I'm getting closer. I've been trying to get the software side in order when I get a chance and think that if I've gone this far with it I might as well "polish it up". I'm using Hyperspin and Emumovies as the "polish". A lot of it is still a learning curve as far as renaming and stuff but I think I'll eventually get it.

Oh yeah, time vs upgraded account ? I knew right off the bat I was gonna need the Lifetime account and didn't hesitate. The time it will save to me is well worth it.