Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I'm Ian. I've been an arcade junkie for years, and built my first cabinet about 10 years ago when I was 17. The original I-Pac had just come out and knocked the Hagstrom off it's throne. I think the system I used was a Pentium4 with a gig of RAM and it was more than enough to run Windows XP with MameWah. That cabinet ended up getting sold while I was in college because it was just such a beast to move (27" CRTs are heavy!).

Now, I'm looking to build a new cabinet, and I've got a lot more resources to do a much better job this time. Coming back into the hobby with previous experience is a huge bonus. These days, it seems like HyperSpin is the go-to frontend, and there's a lot more available in terms of features. EmuMovies was recommended by a friend who recently built his own cabinet.

I'm still up in the air on which cabinet style to build. I always wanted a showcase cabinet, and I have the room for it. However, I'm thinking of doing a smaller cabinet for now. I just need to find some good plans and get something built (that's the easy part, it's the software which is the fun part!).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! Greetings from Germany.

Great site.

I'm into vintage computers (Commodore,  Atari etc.) and now i play around with emulators :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like i'm failing at the first hurdle here... can't login to the download utility service program... says my pass is wrong... using my username and password that work for this site... did a reset and still nothing.... I'm a sad panda

I feel like i'm failing at the first hurdle here... can't login to the download utility service program... says my pass is wrong... using my username and password that work for this site... did a reset and still nothing.... I'm a sad panda

Hi jonnymullen and welcome, I'm a new member too as of a few days ago.  I have seen a number of forum posts about the ftp being down at the moment.  I've also submitted a support ticket.  I think you might just have had some bad luck with your timing on joining.  The ftp has been working perfectly up until today.  You probably are not doing anything wrong...

Hi all,

Really excited to be a paid member here. I have used emu for ages, but never set up a front end. I recently have done so can't wait to get snaps and stuff. Looking forward to my time here :)

I'm having the same problem after joining today as well. Also have a ticket out so not to worry. You are not alone. Having said that I'm sure it will be resolved soon. Have a great one and don't be a sad panda :)

Played with a buddy's Hyperspin machine and I was hooked.  Been messing around with it for a few months now, finally have configured the way I want for now, decided it was time to add the media.

New guy here! I first started my classic collection craze with an original modded Xbox. I stumbled upon Hyperspin years ago and never had the motivation to put a system together, but with the announcement of Hyperspin supporting android it rekindled my interest. I recently purchased a Nvidia Shield TV and am in the process of setting up Hyperspin/Retroarch. However, I think I joined at a bad time with the FTP being down.. that is just my luck. I hope I am able to contribute along the way. Thanks!

New guy here! I first started my classic collection craze with an original modded Xbox. I stumbled upon Hyperspin years ago and never had the motivation to put a system together, but with the announcement of Hyperspin supporting android it rekindled my interest. I recently purchased a Nvidia Shield TV and am in the process of setting up Hyperspin/Retroarch. However, I think I joined at a bad time with the FTP being down.. that is just my luck. I hope I am able to contribute along the way. Thanks!

You just got delayed by a day, all systems are up and running.

Thanks for the quick resolution, it wasn't meant as a complaint - just a note on my luck! I tried to register on Friday to start work this weekend while the girlfriend was out of town, but you were undergoing maintenance. I checked periodically to see when you were back-up, I actually successfully registered while the site was all wonky but I couldn't checkout with a lifetime membership. And then after you officially came back up my account no longer existed. I am excited to start work on my system as soon as tonight. Thanks again for your attentiveness and responses to my tickets.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

My name is Eric. Retired about 2 yrs ago and am looking into building a Mame Console and Cabinet.

I graduated from high school in 1977, so I was there when the video games first started coming out.

Thats why I love the mame emulations of games that came out in the late 70's and early 80's.

Worked as a electronics/electrical maintenance tech at the citys water/wastewater plants, so I worked with computers, controllers, plcs, and other gear. I have a friend that I think will/can build the cabinet, and I'll do the rest.

I want to be able to select games via a menu, instead of a gui, so I wrote a little script for my favorite games using the mamep command v0.96 as it seems to be the most compatible with the roms I have.

So far, seems to work pretty well. If anyone wants to see the script I can upload it if you want it.

Eric

Hi,

New guy here but certain not new to Hyperspin or MAME.  I built my first MAME cab back in 2009 running Hyperspin and recently sold it to start this Red Tent project I picked up last March.  The previous owner hacked it so it could run JAMMA and play fighters like SF2.  I didn't care for JAMMA and will be running a PC + MAME along with dual LCD screens in mirrored mode.  I ordered iL joysticks with custom RGB ball top, RGB buttons from Paradise Arcade which will be lit up dynamically driven by LEDBlinky and my Howler Arcade Controller.

Here are pics of when I first got it:

16694943125_4a356897e3_b.jpg

16074983193_1cb778f510_b.jpg

I took it all apart and did my best to freshen it up by painting and making the best of the "swiss cheese" control panel.

17230027590_decb68a2b5_b.jpg

16795072734_8fa8aae8aa_b.jpg

I did all the wiring from scratch and tried to keep things clean and easy to troubleshoot for the future.

17804429412_b366d8926d_b.jpg

17798996736_6af0d05130_b.jpg

17202802144_9155212d3b_b.jpg

17896511676_669b4b5a67_b.jpg

After about ~250' of wiring I ended up with this :)

17735051468_c205450d14_b.jpg

The rest was pretty much smooth sailing such as securing the computer parts along with amp for the speakers.

18707560388_856ac82b0a_b.jpg

18927899491_acd48dcbc9_b.jpg

The LCD monitors were the last part and I ended up using pipe strapping along with the existing nuts for the inside monitor bezel

18766641469_fdbd11f301_b.jpg

17229833888_67087333d5_b.jpg

Here is a quick youtube video I made this weekend when I finally mounted the covers on each side to their hinges.  It was pretty satisfying when I closed them for the first time :)

Given my limited space in my game room this red tent is the perfect sized foot print for a MAME cab.  I like how you can play fighters from the 90's like Street Fighter 2, MK, KI, Samurai Showdown and have your own screen without having to fight for elbow space.  I also like how it can be good for 4 player games like TMNT, NBA JAM or Gauntlet too.

Mike

• Like 1

Hello everyone..well this is awsome i am in my mid 40s and i have been messing with mame and other  emus for 20+ years   but got married half way thru and been out of the emu loop for some time...but keeping my old files and finding my .102 romset relit my passion for these old games currently trying to "front" a dual core msi windbox for mame and others  but and having a terrible time with the whole paths and configuration process and have been unsucessful at being able to not just access the roms thru the fronend but also to change the themes on FEs like MaLa and others is so hairbraind i cant think straight but im a tinkerer and will keep plugging away till i get one to work ..HS is well just somthing i cant seem to figure out but i would apreeciate any nice links to how to videos for mala or others that would take the sting out of the setup....  ty

hey there - long time Mala user and decided to take the HS/Emumovies plunge to coincide with a new bar top I am building.  Pics to follow.  Looking forward to participating in the community!

Hello All!!

As a teenager in the late 70s - early 80s, arcades were a big part of my life. I've toyed with the idea of a mame cabinet off and on for a while, seriously working on it now. ;-)