Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

EmuMovies Front End Poll '16

Circo

Which Front Ends Do You Use  

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. Choose all that you use (Multiple Choice)

• emuControlCenter
    • GameEx
    • HyperSpin
    • LaunchBox
    • Mala
    • mGalaxy
    • Retro FE
    • Rom Collection Browser (Kodi)
    • AttractMode
    • RetroPi
    • Maximus Arcade

While I agree that working together would be a great thing (which is why RetroFE is F/OSS after all), there are a few issues here:

1. Not everyone's using Windows. Most of the tools you mentioned, like RocketLauncher, are great, but are also not cross-platform. That's why RetroFE allows interfacing with RocketLauncher, but will also function fine without it.

2. The same thing goes for bezels. RocketLauncher is great for that purpose as well, but since I don't use Windows I have to use MAME bezels in stead. It's a lot of duplicate work, but I don't see a direct solution for it.

3. From what I understand, both HyperSpin and EmuMovies already offer/work on an API that can be used by 3rd party developers to download the media for a front-end. I haven't had time yet to look at them, but it's on the bucket list. IMHO, a single point on-line library would be every better though.

4. There's a few front-ends currently in active development, but they don't serve the same audience, nor do they share a common development system. LB/BB for example uses a purchase system to allow its developer to work full-time on the closed source Windows program. RetroFE is multi-platform and F/OSS, which also means it's a spare-time shared (recently a few new programmers started helping me out) development.

That said: there's quite a bit of working together going on behind the scenes. I'm working quite closely with the HyperSpin community to prevent a lot of double work, and I'm also in contact with the trurip group to support their current release plans. There should be some interesting results coming from that angle before too long. :)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2017 at 0:46 PM, Ted777 said:

Just picked up LaunchBox based on it's reputation, but gotta give a shout out to RetroFE, I'm loving their themes.  Wish there was a way to get the best of both worlds!

While I have been enjoying the pain setting up HyperSpin I hear awesome things about Big Box Mode, how is it in practice?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, TragicallyGeek said:

While I have been enjoying the pain setting up HyperSpin I hear awesome things about Big Box Mode, how is it in practice?

I've also used HyperSpin and quickly gave it up after moving over to Big Box. I also prefer retrofe and attractmode, as they are much more flexible than HyperSpin. At the same time, BigBox is incredibly easy to get started with and gets better (literally) with each day :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1) Can you give links to older polls? I want to see how things changed.

2) I am not fully committed to any front-end, but I think LaunchBox deserves the credit it gets. AND...

3) ...hope that since it becomes a trend it will make in turn its devs really push it forward as they already do. Good thing.

4) Still the Front-End To Rule Them All, doesn't exist. The front-end that will take the burden off the user not "somewhat" but completely (I have part of the plan in my mind, but stayed too many years away from programming, so I hope I find a dev that shares the dream).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, greekmanx said:

I love RetroPie myself but have tried Launchbox multiple times just seems too much configurations at times for me

If you think LB has too much configuration then try setting up and configuring HyperSpin. OMG what a nightmare

17 hours ago, greekmanx said:

I love RetroPie myself but have tried Launchbox multiple times just seems too much configurations at times for me

I understand you! That's ONE of the reason that make me switch to mGalaxy...and I'm more than pleased about that switch :) (soooo user friendly!)

5 minutes ago, r_strauss_19 said:

I understand you! That's ONE of the reason that make me switch to mGalaxy...and I'm more than pleased about that switch :) (soooo user friendly!)

I agree with you on mGalaxy's ease of setup and user friendliness but IMO there are a few problems with mgalaxy: 1 - Not updated often enough. the latest version 6.2 was released December 2016. 2 - the premium features are nice but theres not enough premium features to justify the price for premium. 3 - only has 1 GUI to choose games from. However what I love about mgalaxy is the voice that says "launching game" when you select a game. I havent found any similar feature in any other frontend so far. 

• 1 month later...

ArcBrowser is pretty good if you are on android...

Very clean and easy to set up..

However it only displays the synopsis and cover.

I've tried RomBrowser & AEL on KODI, Hyperspin, and a couple of others.

The easiest was ArcBrowser, although I'm slowly setting up AEL at the moment

I was diehard HyperSpin for years. I've had my HyperSpin setup completed and functioning for the last year or so, as I only have a certain amount of systems that I want on it. Then I discovered LaunchBox. Wow is this thing fast and user friendly. I've gotten to the point that I am running HyperSpin in my cab with just MAME, other arcade systems and a Jukebox, but I have recently built a smaller cab/station that runs LaunchBox for all of my console emulation. I love HyperSpin for all of the eye candy, especially the MAME themes, but the nostalgia I get with LaunchBox because of the game/system information and the slick interface (using the Aeon Nox Redux theme with coverflow!) made me decide on the dual setup. Plus to be honest, it's so much nicer playing my console emulators with USB controllers for each system and not having to open the door on my cab, plug them into the hub, etc. Gives me more of that old sitting in front of the TV feeling I used to get as a kid, while keeping the arcade feeling with HS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

A question for those of you who switched between hyperspin and launch box... is it simple to move the emu movies content between the 2 systems or did you redownload everything.

Also if I download a "complete" set of emumovies content (using the sync client) will I be able import that into hyperspin and launchbox without too much drama?

Archived