Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

EmuMovies Front End Poll '16

Circo

Which Front Ends Do You Use  

1,256 members have voted

1. 1. Choose all that you use (Multiple Choice)

• emuControlCenter
    • GameEx
    • HyperSpin
    • LaunchBox
    • Mala
    • mGalaxy
    • Retro FE
    • Rom Collection Browser (Kodi)
    • AttractMode
    • RetroPi
    • Maximus Arcade

Where do I start, Have premium/lifetimes on 3 different frontends 

Hyperspin, great when working breaks regularly only now have they started to develop it again. Threat from launchbox more than likely, bridges are burnt in all honesty for me had years of nothing but disappointment.

Game Ex has the best backend out of anything I've ever used. Everything just works and the plugins people create make it seemless. The only downfall is the looks. Wheel support  is now a thing and it looks to be going in the right direction there

Launchbox is going in the right direction, hope all goes well with it Dev seems engaged in everything, it's not quite ready but it nearly there look forward to see how it turns out in all honesty.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Linux for the sake of automation, configurability and such, so that rules out GameEx, LaunchBox and Hyperspin.

I was using EmulationStation but that's dead now and has some usability breaking issues so I've moved on to AttractMode (which isn't in the poll btw...) with my own theme and my own scraper which basically does what I want.

2 minutes ago, Enverex said:

I'm using Linux for the sake of automation, configurability and such, so that rules out GameEx, LaunchBox and Hyperspin.

I was using EmulationStation but that's dead now and has some usability breaking issues so I've moved on to AttractMode (which isn't in the poll btw...) with my own theme and my own scraper which basically does what I want.

AttractMode is under kodi rom browser and above retropi

Speech recognition incoming for Launchbox. This is killer.
LaunchBox is my choice from now on because:
- Easier to configure
- Custom Themes
- It is more modern than most of their close competitors (GameEx, Hyperspin)
- Devs are supportive and shovel features non-stop
- It still has an incredible amount of potential and can integrate with RocketLauncher

Long time HyperSpin user, recent LaunchBox convert here. I'm still using both and plan to keep it that way, although it seems HS is at a dead-end due to the language it's coded in while LB is taking off. I'm using RocketLauncher for both.

Now if only there was a standardized art file structure for all FEs to use. I currently have two copies of all the art, one for HS and one for LB, I'm limited to a 3tb drive and not likely to buy more storage, but I don't see a way to configure one or the other FE to share the artwork. I'm afraid of breaking HS yet again. Every time I touch something in HS it breaks. That's the reason I don't have Pause, Bezels or anything else set up. HS punishes experimentation!

On 6/9/2016 at 7:33 PM, suspendedhatch said:

Long time HyperSpin user, recent LaunchBox convert here. I'm still using both and plan to keep it that way, although it seems HS is at a dead-end due to the language it's coded in while LB is taking off. I'm using RocketLauncher for both.

Now if only there was a standardized art file structure for all FEs to use. I currently have two copies of all the art, one for HS and one for LB, I'm limited to a 3tb drive and not likely to buy more storage, but I don't see a way to configure one or the other FE to share the artwork. I'm afraid of breaking HS yet again. Every time I touch something in HS it breaks. That's the reason I don't have Pause, Bezels or anything else set up. HS punishes experimentation!

@suspendedhatch Can you explain why HS is at a dead end for the language?

As far I can see is still being developed.

I'm interested because I'm choosing my frontend.

Sorry for possible english mistakes.

Hyperspin is still 'active' but the updates to it have been almost nonexistent in the past 3-4 years. Earlier this year, a new programmer has supposedly taken over the project and had promised (on the hyperspin forums) that it's currently in development and moving forward, but since then there hasn't been any information or recent updates. My advice, if you're running an arcade cab, hyperspin is a fine choice and pretty much has everything you need, but probably won't be making much progress in the future, although I certainly I hope I'm wrong about that :) Also, attractmode is an excellent frontend for arcade cabs and can run on various operating systems including linux and mac. If you're an average pc user or want something for your living room tv, then I would highly recommend another frontend like retrofe or launchbox. They're very much making progress and continue to amaze with all of their recent updates, and the programmers are very active on the forums with news, information, and providing help to the folks out there

2 hours ago, Don said:

Hyperspin is still 'active' but the updates to it have been almost nonexistent in the past 3-4 years. Earlier this year, a new programmer has supposedly taken over the project and had promised (on the hyperspin forums) that it's currently in development and moving forward, but since then there hasn't been any information or recent updates. My advice, if you're running an arcade cab, hyperspin is a fine choice and pretty much has everything you need, but probably won't be making much progress in the future, although I certainly I hope I'm wrong about that :) Also, attractmode is an excellent frontend for arcade cabs and can run on various operating systems including linux and mac. If you're an average pc user or want something for your living room tv, then I would highly recommend another frontend like retrofe or launchbox. They're very much making progress and continue to amaze with all of their recent updates, and the programmers are very active on the forums with news, information, and providing help to the folks out there

Thanks for the explanation! You have clarified me the ideas, now I know what to do.

I'm glad to see that Launchbox is doing pretty well. It's developer, Jason, is pumping out updates almost daily and does livestream development sessions. As a result, it's become really good, really fast. The combination of user friendlyness and customizability is just perfect for me. I'm excited to see where it ends up

Launchbox is evolving and updating regularly. Jason is very responsive along with the LB community, and with the YouTube updates and emails, It's pretty good at keeping you in the loop. It's not perfect but it sure as heck is moving in that direction week by week.

4 hours ago, ivaranka said:

I'm glad to see that Launchbox is doing pretty well. It's developer, Jason, is pumping out updates almost daily and does livestream development sessions. As a result, it's become really good, really fast. The combination of user friendlyness and customizability is just perfect for me. I'm excited to see where it ends up

I will see what is this LaunchBox , I'm intrigued.

16 hours ago, ivaranka said:

Today I will try it!

mGalaxy is by far the easiest frontend to get working!  I left from hyperspin and have never looked back!

I love its style too..it looks sooo nice of my TV!

Thank you mGalaxy for such a good work!!

mGalaxy!!

What they achieved is really outstanding: everything is so easy to configure (I've never configured a system to emulate in such a short time), the look is awesome, it's full of every features I need!

I love: Adding a system to emulate takes 10 secs, the ease and speed while browsing the game list (and it uses very few resources when compared to launchbx- about 12Mo vs. 300Mo!!), background music, attract-mode (screensaver that randomly launches the game for real..not a video footage), child lock (prevent childs/friends from entering some screens or settings), favorites display at a button switch,...the look!!

Fortunately for me, it doesn't have that "wheel" look that everyone is copying from Hyperspin (LunchBx, GameEX..have you seen their wheel? Pathetic)...which I don't like at all ;-)

11 hours ago, r_strauss_19 said:

mGalaxy!!

What they achieved is really outstanding: everything is so easy to configure (I've never configured a system to emulate in such a short time), the look is awesome, it's full of every features I need!

I love: Adding a system to emulate takes 10 secs, the ease and speed while browsing the game list (and it uses very few resources when compared to launchbx- about 12Mo vs. 300Mo!!), background music, attract-mode (screensaver that randomly launches the game for real..not a video footage), child lock (prevent childs/friends from entering some screens or settings), favorites display at a button switch,...the look!!

Fortunately for me, it doesn't have that "wheel" look that everyone is copying from Hyperspin (LunchBx, GameEX..have you seen their wheel? Pathetic)...which I don't like at all ;-)

It all comes down to personal preference. In my opinion, mGalaxy is boring and leaves me with that "mehhh" feeling. However, it's relatively simple and has a nice clean interface. So, those who prefer a more simple touch with not too many bells and whistles, then mGalaxy is probably the better choice. For me, hyperspin is a bit too much bells and whistles and also feels outdated with the lack of widescreen support. I definitely like the 'wheels' feature, but trying to find wheel/logo images for the not so popular/obscure systems gets old really fast

Launchbox hands down.  

Easy & quick to set up. 

User Themes getting more more impressive. It Even has a theme for a frontend I didn't see on the list Emulationstation.  Yah it's pretty much dead at least in development but still lovely. 

Also Jason is putting feature after feature out its crazy. 

Hyperspin is awesome if you have tons of time working out all the setups. I prefer to spend my time actually playing games not looking at the front end display. Soooo if your with me then LaunchBox is your goto fronted for 2016! And beyond. Anyone who prefers to use anything else just hasn't peeped out Launchbox! That's a Truism!!!

Used mostly emuControlCenter before learning about LaunchBox, which is now my clear favorite out of all the FEs I've tried. Best mix of user friendliness and customization options for my needs.

Archived