tmills

retro arch shaders

16 posts in this topic

hi everyone i am looking for a good set of shaders for retro arch and i also don't know which shaders work for which system? any info on this would be great as i have just switched my hyperspin setup to use retro arch.

That Gameboy shader is amazing!  I've never heard of anything like it. I can't wait to try it out!

The gameboy shader looks awesome but it sacrifices way too much screen imo.

Shaders are such big and subjective topic. There are a lot of different shaders to choose from and what one you use will depend on what kind of look you want, your display type and system specs.

Any shader will technically work with any core but depending on the type of game it will look better or worse. A shader that looks great with a 2D sprite based 16-bit game will probably look awful with a 3D polygonal 32-bit game.

A high end CRT shader such as Royale or the Kurozumi edit of Royale looks really nice on TVs and monitors greater than 1080p but on 1080 or less it may not look the way it was intended due to lower pixel density. Another CRT shader such as Easymode-Halation looks really nice on a TN panel but on an IPS panel it may look really bloomed out.

You also may not like the CRT scanline look and maybe you want the smoothed out modern look that XBR shaders provide but those types of shaders look best on "cartoonish" and "stylized" games like a Mario or Zelda game. But games with a more "realistic" and "detailed" look such as Final Fantasy III those smoothing shaders don't look so good.

Then there is performance hit, while emulators are CPU driven shaders are GPU driven and a heavy shader such as Royale or Kurozumi you will need a decent GPU. An on board Intel video chip will not be able to handle those shaders at all and you will need to look for a lighter shader such as CRT-Pi or Hylian.

1 person likes this

I was trying to formulate a good response to this yesterday but gave up, you sumed up my thoughts perfectly :)

I use the default hylian shader in retroarch for snes and i love it. Hard to get the perfect crt look.

wow I really gotta try that gameboy shader

I just started with RetroArch, wow these shaders look really promising!  (time to sink more time into tinkering :P)

I personally use the xbr-lvl4-multipass for everything except Gameboy, which I have set to use the amazing "virtual gameboy" style image shown above.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:45 AM, herrglocke said:

Do all shaders have the curvature thing?

No

On 6/22/2017 at 6:38 AM, lordmonkus said:

No

Which do? I like the curved CRT look, but havent found any shaders that do that?

off the top of my head, CRT-Geom and CRT-Lottes do.