Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

retro arch shaders

tmills

hi everyone i am looking for a good set of shaders for retro arch and i also don't know which shaders work for which system? any info on this would be great as i have just switched my hyperspin setup to use retro arch.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shaders are such big and subjective topic. There are a lot of different shaders to choose from and what one you use will depend on what kind of look you want, your display type and system specs.

Any shader will technically work with any core but depending on the type of game it will look better or worse. A shader that looks great with a 2D sprite based 16-bit game will probably look awful with a 3D polygonal 32-bit game.

A high end CRT shader such as Royale or the Kurozumi edit of Royale looks really nice on TVs and monitors greater than 1080p but on 1080 or less it may not look the way it was intended due to lower pixel density. Another CRT shader such as Easymode-Halation looks really nice on a TN panel but on an IPS panel it may look really bloomed out.

You also may not like the CRT scanline look and maybe you want the smoothed out modern look that XBR shaders provide but those types of shaders look best on "cartoonish" and "stylized" games like a Mario or Zelda game. But games with a more "realistic" and "detailed" look such as Final Fantasy III those smoothing shaders don't look so good.

Then there is performance hit, while emulators are CPU driven shaders are GPU driven and a heavy shader such as Royale or Kurozumi you will need a decent GPU. An on board Intel video chip will not be able to handle those shaders at all and you will need to look for a lighter shader such as CRT-Pi or Hylian.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can shaders also add lag, provided that the CPU/GPU wouldn't be the bottleneck? For me the combination of LCD, emulator and shaders doesn't seem to do well in games where timing is important. Playing something like Super Mario World feels completely different on the original hardware with a CRT compared to with an emulator on Windows or even the SNES mini. I guess it's mostly the LCD, NSMBU plays almost exactly the same on CEMU as it does on the Wii U (never hooked that one up to a CRT though).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get a good combo that doesn't look like ass... I know it doesn't help that I have been testing this on a 4K TV, but still there has to be a way to get it done in reduced size

Archived