Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Weapon Of Choice (Emulators)

enderfect

I'm setting up a Hyperspin FE with RetroArch and MAME. It's going into a cabinet for personal use - going to be so cool when finished.

Just flushing up my videos now, and setting up 2 KADE control boards to facilitate all the lighted buttons and joysticks...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things have sure changed since I first started playing with mame (pre .100 releases).

The only options back then were to build EVERYTHING from scratch.  Now you can buy a manufactured cabinet and control panel... just add your PC and you're done!  AMAZING

RetroArch is an amazing Emu, but for MAME its best to go for straight to MAME.  Get the latest version...  You can make it look AWESOME and its far more compatible with more of the great games.   :D

Thanks, I think I might just do that, save me having to delete non-working games :)

Shipping it from the US would cost more than the cab, Mate!  ;)

I hear ya... I used to LOVE arcades when I was a kid.  Used to go every Friday to a Pier Arcade that was massive and played all the faves.. chase HQ, shinobi, Op Wold, WWF, SFII etc etc etc but then the arcades just seem to be left to rot and then closed down.  Finding a cab now is like gold dust and are mostly bought up by the big firms to refurb and sell on at a silly prices to people with more money than sense :(

I will own one one day... its my duty! hehehehe

Back on topic though... yes, wise choice MAME is MUCH more smoother and usable when run straight from its own exe.  Get some after effects, split screen action on the go too.... epic!

One of the other advantages to using retroarch with cores from your favorite emulators is its ability to remove input lag by imposing hard GPU sync and well as syncing your video output to your displays refresh rate.

It really depends on how hardcore of a gamer you are.  If you play fighting games it certainly makes a difference.  Pulling off some of the more complex combos in games like SF Alpha 3 and MvC2 can be challenging if there is random lag.

I would recommend giving it a try.  I've been really frustrated with the input lag of various emulators throughout the years and retroarch has been a godsend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have few systems (at the moment). I use MAME, MESS for CD-i and WinAPE for Amstrad CPC.

I like MESS because you can use the MAME configuration, for example for shaders.

Recently I have opened this thread (http://emumovies.com/forums/topic/10428-best-emulator-for-each-system) to kwow what are your prefered emulator for each system and why. I hope people participe with his experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been playing with RetroArch lately, and I think it's phenomenal!  I like the idea of a unified interface with separate emulation cores.  It makes controller configuration a breeze and keeps the experience consistent. Highly recommended for HTPC duty with a gamepad.

Years ago with the first rig I setup, probably 8 years ago, I used many of the same emulators as you listed.  Now I am giving it a go again and must say that retroarch is amazingly easy to setup compared to all the work I had put into Maximus. Of course I had every system and rom for all supported emulators, but you could setup one or two pretty quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gotta give a shout out to GroovyMame (Derivative of Mame) specifically designed for use with a CRT monitor/TV. Especially if you want that authentic retro feel. CRT shaders are great and all, but you can't beat the real thing! :D

I am pretty set in my ways tbh but I use the following:

Mame (version .170 atm)

Nebulas M2 emu for Sega M2

Winkawaks for Neo Geo

Nebula for CPS1 & 2.

Zsnes for SNES

and Gens for Genesis.

Thats all my cab runs these days but I have used and tried loads over the years!!

Archived