Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

POLL: Which Front-End is your favorite

Circo

Favorite Front-End (FE's that support video snaps)  

1,568 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite front-end?

This poll is closed to new votes

Yep, hyperspin syppoerts dreamcast perfectly :D It's even setup and coded right into the original install.exe . DC shouldnt be a problem on any frontend though cause it supports commandline (nullDC). Emulators that require mounting images are harder to set up (these work with HS too)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headkaze, if you become a gold member over at HyperSpin, you will have access to the ftp. From there you can get the complete mame theme sets. Not only that but access to a variety of other themes that you can download a lot faster then from the main site. As far as making a category for games just for children that can be done as well through HyperSpin. Really excited with the progress BBB is making with HyperSpin and can't wait to get my hands on the new release. If people have questions about emulators not working in HyperSpin you really should register over at HyperSpin and just ask and use the search feature. We have a great community over there and are always willing to help and point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Maximus Arcade is the one I use atm but in looking around the forums @ MA I see that the scene is dead so am looking at moving towards Hyper Spin

Damm and i just shelled MA and all thats gunna be a pain moving 50+ gb to drives and reinstall then back again (Unless someone has a hint on how to unshell XP)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mala has to have more than 5 users lol, they were in maximum pc! Anyways anymore votes out there, the way this is going I am going to have to discontinue avi support... Just Kidding, congrats to HyperSpin for dominating, if you use or perfer anoth front end ya better get you vote in and be heard.

If you have an Xbox (the first one) you can run emulators to play games from Atari 2600 to the Playstation (1). This includes NES, SNES, Genesis, Amiga, Intellivision aswell as arcade games using mame (and others).

A quote about it:

"1. All the videos, artwork, in-depth game info, manuals, configs, rumbles to pimp your box in the most plug'n play experience available for any emulated system on any platform in history.

2. Everything organized and tested to work right when you FTP it over to your Box!

We're OCD, so you don't have to be. (But you're more than welcome to make your own mark on the project!!!)

The end goal is 500 GB of pure XBox eye-candy and extra features that will hopefully one day be ported beyond the Box. (Roms not included, of course).

This is just the next step. It is built upon the shoulders of giants who have spent many years collecting this stuff. 4 years of my own life has gone into this project, and i'm happy to present it to the public and welcome anyone who would like to help us push the limits of the Box.

Using our datfiles, you can rename any roms you legally possess so they will match up with all of the Xtras, using XPORT emulators and enhanced by the forthcoming Madmab Edition upgrades."

This will all be released in march, with updates after that.

Hyperspin is overrated. All of my roms are goodname or tosec. Hyperspin seems to only recognize no intro romsets. I am sure there is an option to create your own database, but I couldn't find it in Hyperspin. GameEx is really solid, and damn near perfect. I also have Maximus Arcade which I really like, but as a previous poster stated very little work is being done with that right now.

No mention of any non-directX frontends, like QuickPlay which I use often. QuickPlay hasnt been updated in years though. LusSpace is another one which had really great potential. These frontends don't have the impressive eye candy like HS, GameEX or MA but they get the job done.

For now, my picks are GameEx, then MA until I find out how to import custom rom datafiles in HS.

With Hyperspin, it uses XML so you can create your own databases. Simply reading up on the documentation found on hyperspin site or using the very useful search feature will most likely point you in the right direction. There is a great guide by chillinwater that may help you. Hyperspin Guide

I've had MaLa as a FE for a couple of months now and fancied a change, so after much consideration gone with Hyperspin for now. The demo vids look amazing, so I've signed up in the hope I can make mine look as swish as the many youtube vids! :)

Hi everyone,

I'm new one in arcade emulation, i tried different Front-End, and for the beginner I think Maximus is the most easy one and have the best result with minimum configuration.

Thx to emumovies and everyone who participate actively, now with video it's just amazing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello !

I have tried First of all Atomic FE. A really good front-end, but I encountered so many problem to configure it. Not because it was hard to set, but It's seemed to be bugged... All my configuration (sound etc) was randomly taken in account when I saved my templates...

So I tried Mala a month ago.

Good Frond End too, but all the models I have downloaded had too small resolution (and was dirty on my screen).

So now, I use HYPERSPIN, and it is the best I have ever seen !!

Hope to donate the next month to contribute to the private FTP too. :)

I'm more partial to Hyperspin myself but that is the only front-end I've used so I can't say anything for the others. Hyperspin is just so polished!

Sorry, I came late to the game and the nipper kind of put the brakes on the time I could spend testing the others.

I tried a lot of them in the past weeks and my vote goes for Maximus Arcade.

It´s easy to setup, has a slick and clean look that is good in the eyes and is easy to read from afar (like when I plug my notebook on my tv and play on the couch). Easy to control, excellent options like ignore games with CHD, clones and non-working, have a fun "arcadey" vibe and handles very well lists with more than 5000 games.

Even being paid, it´s not very expensive. 25 bucks for 2 licenses and unlimited upgrades? That´s a nice deal if you ask me.

BUT, if I decide to build an arcade cabinet with just a few games instead of entire romsets I would prefeer HyperSpin without a doubt.

Guest WarFado

HyperSpin FTW! :biggrin:

I've tried 3d Arcade a couple monthes ago, I even fooled around with the arcade room's floor to match my own :) but I couldn't change the walls and that frustrated me.. Because I had the full cabinet artwork it was nice to see all the 3d rendered machines but not being able to see them in just one room it was a let down too... so HyperSpin for the crisp gfx and because it's trés chique!!! :kiss:

I have been working on and off on getting my cab up and running for about 2+ years now. I started using Maximus Arcade, but unfortunatly it didn't do what I wanted it to. So i switched to 3D arcade. This FE allowed me to do everything that I wanted to do, however, there was so much coding that needed to be done with list etc. and if one parameter got screwed up it would crash my whole program. If I didn't document exactly what I had changed so that I could change it back, I would have to reinstall the program and just move some of my files. A real pain. Then I found out about Hyperspin. This was it. Slick looking, did what I wanted it to do. Just the total package. Being a member to EmuMovies for a couple of years now, it is great that all the files match the Hyperspin file.

Bravo! Keep up the good work!

Emumovies - Hyperspin for Life!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tojin

Defenetely Hyperspin !

The best for a Mamecab, really easy to set up !!

• 2 weeks later...

I must be the old man around here i still have arcade @ home up and running... lol Anyway H/S is on my horizon as I teach my ten year old son how to build computers/websites/arcade games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually suprised to find no Mala or Maximus users here. Where you guys at?

Right here!!! I'm an Maximus Arcade user. I've used many other frontends like HyperSpin, GameEx etc... but I like MA for it's ease of use. And it has pretty much all the features I need.

MA is good for emu frontend beginners, and those that aren't overly interested in themeing to the last detail. I like HS and GEX, but they take a little more to set up, and have a bit of a learning curve to them, but they do look really nice, and have some really cool features too.

I'd probably use HS more, but unlike MA, setting up your own folder structure is a little too time consuming for my taste.

After being a Mamewah user, im just getting to grips with Hyperspin and already like the ease of use and the flashy front end.

Flashy front ends are nice, but let's not forget about flashy rear ends. ;)

Wow, when I opened this thread I was amazed to see that Game-ex and Maximus collectively were even able to steal 20 some percent of this vote (as meager as that is). If someone was actually reading this still waffling between front ends I would hope that this was the final straw in determining that HS is head and shoulders above the competition. The only way that I can imagine someone still supporting one of the other front ends at this point is either 1. they are insane 2. they are too lazy to do the necessary simple software transition or 3. they are a creator of the front end.

Archived