Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

DIY Star Wars Cockpit Cabinet

SpyhunterUK

Right here are the latest pics....  The outside has been cut, obviously this will be covered with images and possibly perspex to protect it.

I am working out where the inside rails, controls, etc will be going as although it has markings, it is better to sit in the seat and see how it feels.  I have already raised the controls slightly upwards based on the feel of it.  Most internal rails at the moment are only holding rails at this stage.09 Jul (2) Side Back.jpg09 Jul (3) Castor Rails.jpg09 Jul (5) Back Section.jpg

There are no floors or bases, or front back as of yet, although cut its easier to work on without these sections getting in the way.

09 Jul (6) Not Joined.jpg

Things are starting to look like a cockpit arcade now, lots more to do to get it looking better and right but we're are in the right direction.

09 Jul (8).jpg09 Jul (9).jpg09 Jul (10) Seat.jpg

Seat location with base floor (which can be removed to unjoin the two sections once completed).

09 Jul (11).jpg09 Jul (12) Top.jpg09 Jul (13).jpg09 Jul (14).jpg09 Jul (15).jpg09 Jul (16) Up.jpg09 Jul (17) TV.jpg

Next steps will be working on the controls (flip up so I can fix buttons at a later date) and monitor/tv position, then it will be the seat (with base speaker inside, etc, again with flip top).  Top is ready to cut, but thought I would get the other sections done then its a lot easier to work on the top which is mostly perspex (top/back).

Obviously its not all the same as the original due to many new features/factors, but I am trying to keep it as close as I can.

Afterwards I need to work out the best place for the lights, fit kickboard (metal), T-Molding, etc etc all to make it look better.

Then PC, electrics, blah blah - LOL lots more!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More work has ben done.  The white wood used is for template not the actual wood.  It will be made fully out of Ply (not MDF).  Enjoy!!! 

I hve to now get the control panel design finalised and the buttons, etc to be placed in the top panel (it is sloped and fits onto the control area in the image and opens up on an hinge for easy repairs).

Also have to add a light, image bezel aat back, speakers in seat back, bass speaker in seat then to add the screen, pc, etc

Before removing it all to spray paint it reaady for the pitures on the side (anyone know of a good UK printer that can dsign to exact size?)

We are getting there - slowly :)  Enjoy!!!

16 Jul (13).jpg

16 Jul (14).jpg

16 Jul (04).jpg

16 Jul (15).jpg

16 Jul (16).jpg

Thanks.  Yes, if it wasn't for my man cave the wife wouldn't let me build it LOL

I have moved a few of the parts such as the kick board, as on paper it worked but it didn't seem right on the build, etc (seen in photos) Same for the rear glass/bezel sign/section and monitor.  The original had a slightly different angled design at the top as the monitor was close to the front of the cabinet, whereas my monitor is set back.  I'm looking for spare Star Wars Parts I can spray black and use for the design.  Still unsure whether to get the side art as Star Wars or go for something completely different.  Hmmmm

The roof design is complete just getting the rest of the cab up before working on roof section. :)

If you get the actual controller you got three Star Wars games and if you racing type games if I recall that all use the same controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Updated pics coming soon :)

I am about to order some SpinTraks and have Mini Wheels attached to them (when required) for racing games.  SpinTrck's will be mounted horizontally in front of the player controls. 

I did play test using my PC USB Steering Wheel and pedals, but I found more MAME games required a different wheel controller and I believe the Spintracks will be perfect for Outrun, Turbo, Championship Sprint and others.

Your thoughts would be welcome though :)

Ive used the spin traks with a few games without probs.
But the games need setting up on a individual basis.

I also brought a USB foot pedal switch that acts as a keyboard.
I use that for racing games and time crisis :)
Then it just tucks underneath when not in use.

The spin traks wont work for all racing games though.

Sorry about the delay mate.

Ok I have checked all the games u listed above and can confirm with some tinkering they all work ok with the spin trak.

Also tried WEC le mans, wheel runner, winding heat, chequered flag and indy heat all worked fine also.

• 2 months later...

Right, I have managed to get some more work done on the cabinet, hopefully to finish before Christmas Day this year :)

I have been working on the controller panel (6 buttons and joystick per player + start/coin buttons + 4 extra buttons and spinner for each player which converts to steering wheel).  Monitor will have a bezel that hides the edge of the monitor and gun sensor, all completed with perspex and designs.  Also been working on top of the front section. 

Then will continue work on roof section (mainly perspex) and finally with the finishing touches such as T-Molding and other items :) (lights, speaker grills on back of chair, vents)

Enjoy!!!!

20161115_171120.jpg

20161115_171127.jpg

20161115_171137.jpg

20161115_172502.jpg

This would be my dream come true... but the Missus would KILL me if I had this in the house when she came home from work!  1 Day I will have a real man cave, and in it will be all the Manly things that men have.  It will smell of feet, beer and old things and it will have a carpet that sticks to your feet as you gander over my many things.  In the Middle will be a Full Size R300 Arcade cab... cos I can :D

702034574998115368.jpg

But that cab is awesome!  I remember the sit down cabs on some of the classics and you got the dimensions spot on there :D  I want it!

More work finished and images attached.

Control console now has per player:
    Joystick (4/8 way switcher), 6 buttons, start, coin,
    Spinner (which converts to mini steering wheel)

4 Additional Buttons in middle top
Left/Right Flipper buttons on front of control panel
Single Button under top piece for power.
Trackball

All the controls (buttons, joystick, buttons) are illuminated expect the spinners.

Front of cabinet is nearing completion, top of cockpit ready for roof.  All will be sprayed black before inserting T-Molding, additional parts (floor metal, speakers) and side art (+ other art).  I'm still looking for a good printer that can print all the side art?  Any suggestions.

Still lots left to do:

Front
1. Hinge on front top/middle piece to allow entry into workings from front (with Empire piece as handle).
2. Add Vents to Front
3. Add power extension leading out of front for main single power (hole to be drilled)

Control Panel
1. Fit and Test Controls (Joystick, Buttons, Spinner, Trackball)
2. Test illunmination on controls (LEDBlinky)
3. Fit Power Button (top) and wire into PC.
4. Fit Perspex on Control Panel (Top nd Front) & Monitor front (with bezel that hides monitor edge)
5. Control Panel art to be confirmed
6. Test Light Guns
7. Fit Light Gun Holster (location TBC)
8. Fit Possible puller for Pinball Games???
9. Investigate Pedals for Driving Games?  (I cannot find any good ones that fit and work well, these can be fitted at later date if need be).

Cockpit
1. Fit Speaker Mixed into Seat Base (set back at base)
2. Fit Speakers into back of seat
3. Fit Marquee Lighting
4. Fit Marquee (Perspex) on back - looking at fitting original SW  glass marquee.
5. Fit cabling under floor (linking audio and power to front of cabinet)
6. Fit False floor (matted)
7. Fit Metal Side Pieces
8. Possible metal piece at base of kickboard to protect feet kicks?

Cockpit Roof
2. Fit roof framework.
2. Fit Dark Perspex for back viewing across whole of roof

Other
1. Fit Coin Door on Side (link to insetr coin button for extra effect)

When all the above are complete I need to:
1. Remove all parts eady for spraying Black (Seat will be Black Gloss)
2. Fit back all the controls (wired to PC)
3. Connect wiring of Back part of Cabinet (Marquee, Audio) to front
4. Fit all T-Molding
5. Fit Back Marquee
6. Fit main Side Art, Controller and Cockpit Art. (to be printed)
7. Final tweaking of Cabinet

20161120_120501.jpg

20161120_120509.jpg

20161120_122646.jpg

20161120_122650.jpg

20161120_130522.jpg

20161120_152641.jpg

20161120_152650.jpg

20161120_152702.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More work has been completed....

Back cut ready for marquee which will be light from behind of seat.

Speaker holes cut.

T-Molding around edge all cut ready for fixing (perspex edge)

See images below..  Enjoy!

Back1.jpg

Back2.jpg

Other.jpg

T-Molding.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I have had nothing but trouble uploding to these forums so have decided to create my own website, showcasing my work on the DIY Star Wars Cockpit Cabinet.

I will be uploadin the site soon at www.arcadecab.co.uk and will not be updating this page anymore.

Thanks for your comments, and please email email me at [email protected]

or check out my site real soon :)

Archived