Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Amiga recordings

bLAZER

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Thought i'd pop in here and say hi, great to see this is still moving along. Gunna get some ftp acces once i get paid so i'll glady help out with the vids. Gives me a chance to actually play some of the games instead of drawing em heh heh. Is the raw footage being uploaded on the ftp so as to avoid any raw duplicates. Thers a few games i'd like to do, and possibly redo some showing a different level or music (but thats just me). Carvup Area 3 with music on is just great .

Keep up the good work guys

Hey dude, I actually started recording some vids some days ago. fifou just did a test video so it's still only me recording at this moment, therefore no raw videos are uploaded at this time. If more want to join we'll just use an online spreadsheet or something (I have an excel file I work with)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dude, I actually started recording some vids some days ago. fifou just did a test video so it's still only me recording at this moment, therefore no raw videos are uploaded at this time. If more want to join we'll just use an online spreadsheet or something (I have an excel file I work with)

Hi yeah i'd love to help out i could do some inbetween wheel art. I'll let you know as soon as i have FTP and am all set up with the software. As i say it gives me a chance to play some of the games a bit.

Recording on winuae i found easy enough but not used virtual dub so may need a few pointers when i get started.

• 4 weeks later...

100 more videos uploaded bringing the total to 800!

Damn it's tedious work to play all those games, mostly because about 40% of the WHDLoad games doesn't work properly. Now I'm taking a well earned break from this and will be back when I get that itch again (usually 3-4 weeks ;)

100 more videos uploaded bringing the total to 800!

Damn it's tedious work to play all those games, mostly because about 40% of the WHDLoad games doesn't work properly. Now I'm taking a well earned break from this and will be back when I get that itch again (usually 3-4 weeks ;)

I totally understand the feeling, i'm on sort of a bender right now but in a week I am hopping on a plane for vacation and it will slow down for a couple weeks then i'll hit it hard again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

100 more videos done! Now a total of 900 Amiga videos done!

Nice work blazer, how many more do you have to do? You have been at this set forever, but trust me I feel your pain.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

blazer: do you still have your amiga hardware? I pulled out my c128 the other day and forgot how music tempo for ntsc was sped up, especially after listening to radio streams online for so many years. I was wanting to add a a1200 to my collection, and people on the forums recommend importing the pal version.

Well anyway I was watching some youtube videos of the Minimig from Amigakit, but what got me was how they had that garbage black letterbox at the bottom filling half the screen (like your videos) ... My NTSC amiga never did that, my games always filled the screen. Now I realize pal has the extra 100 vertical lines, but how does that work ? I read foreigners held down both mouse buttons if the game was ntsc and it filled the screen? I'm also concerned about the lower fps on pal (if I go that route) as I read the games were choppier and not as smooth as the 60fps ntsc hardware.

What's your take on this from a pal perspective? I want music and demos to play at the slower speed, but I dont want that black on the screen. I see you are still not cropping out black overscan and it looks wierd on your hyperspin youtube videos. Those games are NTSC and thats not how they played, they filled the scree... and people who post footage of A1200 gameplay are all full screen (assuming they are .EU people)

I'm not an expert on the NTSC/PAL thing (better go to http://eab.abime.net/ for the experts and ask) but on my PAL Amiga I had the black bars for some games. All the videos I'v recorded are PAL/50fps, the settings are configured as such in WinUAELauncher/WHDLoad for those games. I'm not sure how it worked on NTSC amigas. I think the game filled the whole screen and they played in 60 fps.

Had a look on some Amiga games now on youtube and those I saw was either not cropped or cropped, which results in a squashed picture. When I'm done I'll upload the TSCC videos and those who want to crop them can do so without losing any quality.

Nice. I was talking to the people on IRC in amiga channels, they said that was because of scandoubling. And on the a600 / a1200 models if you hold down both mouse buttons it toggles between PAL / NTSC boot mode so games fill screens. There is a ton of those a1200s on the co.uk ebay for around 50 pounds, I really want to get one.

You mentioned earlier "real amigas" had those extra borders and letterboxing. Was your old system hooked up to a VGA monitor?

The reason people get squished game play even on real hardware is due to scandoubling plugging in to a VGA / LCD display at 31hz. This occurs even on real hardware. The 15khz resolution was 320x200 and 640x400. There was no 720 factor in it, that was a resolution for later TV broadcasting, not a computer resolution. When you use a Flickerfixer or other scandoubler to plug in a VGA display those 15khz game proportions get squished and will not fill the screen, which you are doing when you are enabling WinUAE's doublescan. Those modes were used for "productivity modes" in workbench applications. People using TV or RGB monitors had the intended gaming experience. If you run MAME in DirectDraw at 31hz, wrong resolutions, and no stretching you get the same issue, games not filling the screen or odd proportions, you are doing the same thing. It's not how they were intended to be played, full Width or Length.

1 minute in they discuss the resolutions, and this video from the early 1990's his videos are how I remember them. Full Screen. Differences in PAL and NTSC shouldn't be an issue either, as PAL just had the additional 100 scanlines at the bottom of the screen.

On my arcade monitor I created a resolution of 320x200, with filters and stretching / resizing disabled in WinUAE. For both 60hz and 50hz modes the games filled the screen at 15khz. Gods is a perfect example that I see alot of people frankensteining the screen and gameplay is squished. BECAUSE OF DOUBLESCAN

DSC01422.JPG

http://cdn.bitbucket...ds/DSC01417.JPG

http://cdn.bitbucket...ds/DSC01410.JPG

http://cdn.bitbucket...ds/DSC01424.JPG

That is how Amiga games look, and someone is on crack if they say otherwise. There are plenty of enthusiasts out there who have done gameplay videos using a camera showing gameplay on a C=1084s RGB monitor, as well as people on Amigaworlds IRC channel to confirm this.

WinUAE's internal video recorder still picks up overscanning from off screen, and after a year I have no clue on why you still include that, as I mentioned in my earlier post with screen shots Fraps picks up what the user see's on the screen only.. and a clean 4:3 image is handled. Dunno how you come up with 720, it was not a computer resolution but a film resolution. A native 640x400 resolution would have, and still does, give a clean full output.

For the sake of Amiga fans, I hope Circo hires a team of Koreans to go back and crop out all that black mess you neglected to take care of.

I am one happy camper, I have a a1200 on order woohoo \o/

Archived