Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Amiga recordings

bLAZER

Ok to set the record straight we don't want any letter boxing. Normal systems should be 4:3 NTSC or PAL. Yes that may involve some stretching, it's ok. Final vids should be 640x480 it's the standard for HiQ vids. There is a reason behind this and that is they will look good in all front ends. The key here is consistency.

^^^ you are getting boxes because the internal recoder does not scale when your emulator changes resolutions. You are being lazy and not cropping that out. Or stubborn and not at least trying the Fraps approach I suggested, as there is no scaling issues. Everything comes out a perfect 4:3.

Besides, circo said no pixel letterboxes, it's tacky.

I also dont get your settings. 2000 KB/s video bitrate with 160 bit audio? Mame cabinets running any arcadevga or 2 year old video card will not be able to run those. FLV is also a non-friendly format for someone to edit to take out those boxes and use more realistic settings. Bluray .mkv rips dont even use that high of a bitrate.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused Brenry.. to quote you

I've been working on amiga videos for emumovies
Can a couple people looking for a project please help out on Amiga video sets? It's overwhelming going alone.

Aren't you working on an Amiga video set?

Aren't you working on an Amiga video set?

yep, but atm we have no organization. Plenty of unnecessary duping going on, and we are lacking consistancy. Hoping once Circo gets personal things him or someone else can take charge of this so we can all have a set. It's not exactly a weekend project, over 2000 titles in it. Both of our work is in the Work in progress directory on FTP.

Is this set being made directly into .flv format? It should be .avi so most FE's can use the videos and then convert the whole set to .flv for HyperSpin users. You will have better quality going from .avi to .flv rather than the reverse, and it also allows for editing later if necessary. Having them in .flv means they are useless to anyone except HyperSpin users and to me it's not really fair to do that.

I also have to agree that the FRAPS output does look alot better. But I believe you could get the same quality using WinUAE's internal recorder if you used a filter to stretch it fullscreen. You can edit WHDLoad.uae in WinUAE setting it to use a fullscreen filter and then launching from WinUAE Loader should have them all the same.

I do think FRAPS is probably a better way to go though. Also I think most people would rather different aspect ratio's to letter boxing.

I still have the original AVI's in lossless format, so I can encode them to whatever format with whatever quality I like.

Using FRAPS is totally pointless since WinUAE's output recorder does the job perfectly fine.

About letterboxing, you can't get rid of all the black areas in games that use a small gameplay area (future wars for example) and the title screen is big. So for consistancy all games are in the orignal 640x512 format. I don't think the SNES videos for example have their black areas cropped out.

• 3 weeks later...

Blazer, can these flv's be converted to wmv?

Reason I ask is because I am interested in using them on the Xbox 1 (and GameEx!), where you have wmv's converted to xmv (Xbox's video format)

Also hope that you and Brenry could come to some sort of understanding and work together. Then I would like to help out!

Like headkaze mentioned, avi would be the ideal format, which could then be converted to wmv (or flv for hyperspin), and then xmv.

Bigby -

I'm sure there are a couple of applications out there that can do the conversion directly, or I can write a script to have mencoder pull the audio and video streams out of the flv and stuff them into an avi container...and re-encode if required.

FYI AVI is just a container, there is nothing ideal about other than its simply the most common container used. MKV, MP4, OGG and probably a half dozen other containers are actually superior.

Ideal would be more inline with using TSCC for the video stream as its a lossless codec, and standard PCM for the audio stream, then stuffed into an AVI container simply because we have no need currently for the enhanced features of the other containers...and frankly there are more tools readily available that can read and write to that container. Then anyone can convert to whatever format they like without unnecessary damage to the media streams.

FYI AVI is just a container, there is nothing ideal about other than its simply the most common container used. MKV, MP4, OGG and probably a half dozen other containers are actually superior.

I didn't mean ideal, in that I thought avi is better quality than flv. Just that I am used to converting avi to wmv, then xmv.

Just been comparing brenry's and blazer's videos. They both look great guys, although I'm torn between keeping the aspect ratio (and borders) or having the game fill the screen.

For example, the game Agony does look a bit strange when there are no borders! (other games it's less so) Hmm, not sure which is the best way.

Nologic, I remember you from gameEx. :good2: You guys really need to make peace with each other, the community would be a whole lot better with both you and HK working together. :)

My thoughts (at present) are that video's should be cropped to whats actually displayed on the screen on real hardware. Stretching to proper Aspect Ratio...I'm for...if done by the emulator. There is some more stuff about Aspect Ratio...but I need to do more research on the subject.

Far as HK & myself...don't hold your breath because I'd really hate to go to a funeral. :)

Blazer, can these flv's be converted to wmv?

Reason I ask is because I am interested in using them on the Xbox 1 (and GameEx!), where you have wmv's converted to xmv (Xbox's video format)

Also hope that you and Brenry could come to some sort of understanding and work together. Then I would like to help out!

Like headkaze mentioned, avi would be the ideal format, which could then be converted to wmv (or flv for hyperspin), and then xmv.

I still have the original lossless videos (TSCC) which I will then convert to avi/xvid when I'm done. Of course it's best to also encode them to xmv/whatever from the original videos then.

I didn't mean ideal, in that I thought avi is better quality than flv. Just that I am used to converting avi to wmv, then xmv.

Actually my experience is that flv's looks better than xvid at the same filesize at least for simple games. It may be different for new consoles/PC games

I still have the original lossless videos (TSCC) which I will then convert to avi/xvid when I'm done. Of course it's best to also encode them to xmv/whatever from the original videos then.

So you can convert to xmv from TSCC? Are you sure?

To get to the xmv container, xmvtool.exe is used. Now as far as I know only wmv 8 files can be used to convert to xmv. (using this xmvtool)

If you can convert from TSCC to xmv, then that would be fantastic! :)

Oh gees just read the thread front to back and I see I basically just spit out what bLAZER already stated. (dons dunce cap and walks to the corner)

Only thing I'd differ on would be I'd prefer to use Fraps...since I have a multi-core system, I'd hope the OS would do the right thing and put each heavy process on a different core, for the sole reason to help avoid sync issues.

bLAZER probably has a beefier system than I do...so probably a non-issue.

Anyways I'm going to go stand in the corner. :)

Is this a pathetic attempt at threatening me NoLogic?

Relax man, :good2:

He said don't hold your breath because he doesnt want to go to a funereal, regarding you and him patching things up. Meaning he would be holding his breath waiting forever, it is an expression here in the states. "don't hold your breath"

Not a death threat against you.

:)

Far as HK & myself...don't hold your breath because I'd really hate to go to a funeral. :)

So why delete what I post to sweep things under rug Brian? Why do you feel you have to delete my posts and explain things for NoLogic? Why don't you explain to the people that you unbanned NoLogic because you couldn't keep up with his alts? Tell them the real reason so everyone can have a laugh about it. But I suppose you will delete this post too? Sweeping the real issue under the rug.

So why delete what I post to sweep things under rug Brian? Why do you feel you have to delete my posts and explain things for NoLogic? Why don't you explain to the people that you unbanned NoLogic because you couldn't keep up with his alts? Tell them the real reason so everyone can have a laugh about it. But I suppose you will delete this post too? Sweeping the real issue under the rug.

This is related to amiga recordings in what way? I will be more than happy to invite any participant in our "private" conversation. Heck if you would notice Tempest is invited, I have no secrets.

Cheers my friend.

Brian Hoffman

I may add that it is a good idea to stay on topic, if this gets removed it is only because it serves to de-rail yet another thread the last 6 posts are BS and unrelated to the topic at hand, starting at post 73, nothing againsed you personally but you misinterped a statment, then when corrected still wanted to argue.

I would strongly urge you that if you wish to continue this conversation to take it to PM.

Relax man, :)

He said don't hold your breath because he doesnt want to go to a funereal, regarding you and him patching things up. Meaning he would be holding his breath waiting forever, it is an expression here in the states. "don't hold your breath"

Not a death threat against you.

:good2:

This is the way I took it. Nologic was responding to Bigby, and told Bigby not to hold his breath, because NoLogic didn't want to have to go to Bigbys' funeral. It also implies that he would go to Bigbys' funeral if Bigby did decide to hold his breath. ;-)

Have we underailed this thread now? :flag_of_truce:

I thought that EmuMovies released two sets.. one in xvid/avi format and the other in flv for HyperSpin. Most FE's should be able to play flv's using a codec pack if they are using DirectShow API's to play the video. So really it's not a big issue other than people probably don't realise this about flv.

Archived