Thanks for this update..

I can find on ftp. In arcade collections you put this update;

It's the .137 wip folder all versions AVI/FLV HiQ and SQ

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.

Nice! I'll keep coming back.

One more question: How are you naming the video files? I mean, when the game is only one zip the video will be the same name, but when the game has clones, are you:

a) always naming the video file after the parent game zip

b) naming the video file after the parent zip or after the working clone zip on those games that a clone works but the parent does not

c) naming the video with the same name as the parent zip and also making a copy of the video for every clone name

I ask this because the best method I´ve found to clean my romset with only the games that I like is to:

1) Watch the video files and delete the ones that I don´t like

2) Use FatMatch on "reverse mode" to move all the roms that doesn´t have a 100% matching video to another folder

3) Delete the moved roms folder

This method worked great on a small sample that I did, but I´m not sure that it will work fine on the entire romset and it is too big to track the results.

Also, do you have a video file for each bios files? That would help.

Sorry to bother. >_<'

narcossintese -

Videos for clones would be named after the clone rom...granted in most cases the parent could be copied and renamed to match the clone. However taking a clone video and renaming it to that of the parent would simply over write the parent video.

Are you tight on storage space? I ask because videos should only be displayed if its matching rom is loaded by your FE.

Video's that don't have a fully matching rom...likely had the matching rom renamed...thus the video needs to be renamed as well. Check out MAMErenSET for a tool to correct this issue.

narcossintese -

Videos for clones would be named after the clone rom...granted in most cases the parent could be copied and renamed to match the clone. However taking a clone video and renaming it to that of the parent would simply over write the parent video.

Are you tight on storage space? I ask because videos should only be displayed if its matching rom is loaded by your FE.

Video's that don't have a fully matching rom...likely had the matching rom renamed...thus the video needs to be renamed as well. Check out MAMErenSET for a tool to correct this issue.

I´m not tight on storage space. The main reason I want to clean my romset is because it annoys me to have my front-end list filled with bad or not working titles. It would be easy to delete'em if MameUI (or any front end) had some kind of shortcut to delete the games you don´t want of the list, but there isn´t. The only way would be to check the zip file name of each game, search for them on the roms folder and delete manually, which is too much work on a full romset.

Using my method (filter the games by the videos and then use FatMatch) is easier because:

-The simple fact that the video exists means that the game works

-By the video preview it´s easier to spot the games that I don´t want to keep (better than judge only by the screenshot or playing one by one)

-Games that doesn´t have 100% matching videos probably doesn´t work or are clones, and I don´t want´em

My only grip with this method is that I don´t know if the last item I stated is true, and that´s why I´ve asked. I don´t even know which 'broken' parent games have a working clone, but I´ve read that they exist. I´m not sure how much I´m going to lose if I just wipe out all the games whose parent doesn´t work/have video. If it is just a few games and nome of them are 'classics' I don´t bother at all deleting them, but I really have no idea of the situation.

Also, using this method I would delete the bios files because they don´t have matching videos (or do they?), but in the worst case I can manually add´em later.

All this trouble just because there isn´t a "delete rom" on the right click menu of MameUI or front-end! LOL

hmm maybe I'm mistaken but if I recall MameUI supported filtering options that would allow you to hide non-working games.

I know far as bigger FE's that GameEx supports filtering non-working as well...and I'm fairly sure Mala does as well. Other FE's you can generally create a list of games that you only want displayed...or adversely a list of games you don't want to play.

The fastest way to to create such lists would be to work from the Rankings.ini which is slightly outdated but certainly a good starting point.

I can likely help you out...but it'll be a few days...as I'm in the middle of something that I've been putting off for a while.

Maybe Tempest or Brian can get you all sorted out, in the mean time.

Videos that don't have a matching rom...could be for two reasons...renamed rom...or the rom has been removed from the main set for one reason or another. Generally its because of a rename.

My main suggestion right now would be to try and retrieve all the videos you deleted if still present in the recycle bin. Circo has two sets at present for Mame .128 & .137 if I recall....keep these separate...use my tool that I linked you to prior...update the names in the .128 to .137 then take the .137 videos and move them into the old .128 over writing files if necessary...then if you are using a rom set newer than .137 again use my tool to update from .137 to what you are currently using.

Oh BIOS dont' have video's that I'm aware of...course I'm not fully certain you need BIOS files in Mame.

Doh! a quick add...you may want to checkout ROMLister which is also a great tool for creating lists. It creates a bit more generic listing of games...as with Rankings.ini you can decide if you truly want to display games that suck to play. :morning2:

Oh you should probably make a note somewhere of when was the last time you synced with the .137 set...as Circo is still adding files to it...that way you can sort the files by dated added and just grab the new ones. Makes things slightly faster and you don't hammer the FTP as much.

I´ve used ROM Lister some time ago but the 'list method' of just hiding from the emulator or front-end doesn´t quite work for me, as I´m always rebuilding the list and tweak it everytime is a pain. I just prefeer the old and good delete method : )

Actually I even did some batch files on ROM Lister to delete the roms that I didn´t wanted listed, but there are so many more that I don´t want and can only know by looking to the video preview.

I have not deleted anything yet. I have the 0.137 romset that I´m using with the 0.128 video set as I await for the 0.137 video set to be completed. After it is finished I´m going to download it all at once, do the manually filtering that I mentioned on the other post and FaMatch it with the 0.137 romset.

I don´t plan to update the romset (and neither the videos) ever again after this. I´m a player more than a collector when it comes to emulation. You know, one nice romset with matching snapshots and videos and I´m hooked for life ;D

About my questions regarding the naming method of the videos, only Circo can answer me that? I mean, the

-is there a individual video file named after each clone?

-if not, are the video files named only after the parent rom, even if only the clone works (I don´t know if this is common, maybe I´m making a big deal of something that is very rare)?

-do bios have individual video files?

By the way, thanks for the quick reply!

Why don't you do it this way...copy off your complete Rom & Video collection to somewhere safe...then take and use the Rankings.ini an d pull the game names out for games that rank 30 or above and batch copy those out of your Rom & Video sets into new folders and use whats in the new folders for the bases of tweaking things...if anything should save a lot of leg work on your part. Plus you'll have the old assets should you decide to update or change things again.

Video Naming:

yes one rom one video...if the video is for a clone it is named after the clone rom...not the parent. Your FE may try to fuzzy match things...in this case you should turn off the fuzzy name logic.

BIOS should not have a video...if they do it would be a "not working" vid...and nothing else.

Anyways Circo can answer you...as I don't think you qualify my responses.

Anyways Circo can answer you...as I don't think you qualify my responses.

No dude, I totally appreciate your help. I thought only Circo could answer my question about the video files naming scheme because I thought he was the dude creating all of them.

Why don't you do it this way...copy off your complete Rom & Video collection to somewhere safe...then take and use the Rankings.ini an d pull the game names out for games that rank 30 or above and batch copy those out of your Rom & Video sets into new folders and use whats in the new folders for the bases of tweaking things...if anything should save a lot of leg work on your part. Plus you'll have the old assets should you decide to update or change things again.

The problem is that I don´t know how to use the information on the MameUI .ini files(like Rankings.ini) to actually do something about the files. I can open and create them on MameUI, divide them on folders as I like, but there´s no option to, for example, delete all files related on that folder. That´s the source of my problem. If there was a way to, like, right click on the "0 (not working)" folder that Ranking.ini creates on MameUI and choose 'delete' it would sure be a blessing.

71150455.jpg

ps: I always make this kind of thing on copies, sure.

Video Naming:

yes one rom one video...if the video is for a clone it is named after the clone rom...not the parent. Your FE may try to fuzzy match things...in this case you should turn off the fuzzy name logic.

BIOS should not have a video...if they do it would be a "not working" vid...and nothing else.

Hmn, then it should work. I would only have to copy the BIOS files from the safety backup after the cleanup.

Circo is currently the only one creating them...you are correct there. :morning2:

Question are you just running MameUI or are you using a different FE over top of MameUI?

Okay just working off MameUI...won't work if another FE is using MameUI.

On the Menu Click "View\Custom Filters..." Check Clones & Not Working.

Now on the Folder display pane on the left where you see "All Games, Available, ..." Right Click and under the "Show Folders" menu item deselect the folders you no longer wish to see.

This should allow you to greatly shorten whats displayed...I'd personally just limit the folders to the Rankings.ini values.

Still won't fully get you what you want...but maybe this will be tolerable.

Question are you just running MameUI or are you using a different FE over top of MameUI?

I´m using Maximus Arcade : /

Tried many front-ends but always kee coming back to Maximus.

Well, I think it will be okay doing the kamikaze way of just keep the roms related to the videos. I´ll just wait for the 0.137 video romset be completed and try it myself.

And thanks again for the replies. I appreciate!

Your welcome.

Okay question would you be fine with say whats contained in the Rankings.ini?

Basically I was thinking of writing up a very basic script that would do quick name matching...and the Rankings.ini would be used as a White List...in other words what stays. Everything else gets moved into a sub folder...which ideally your FE won't notice...if it does...then move the sub folder somewhere else. :morning2:

It could be applied to both roms & videos. So if you are cool with something like that let me know and I'll do a few minutes of coding for you.

Your welcome.

Okay question would you be fine with say whats contained in the Rankings.ini?

Basically I was thinking of writing up a very basic script that would do quick name matching...and the Rankings.ini would be used as a White List...in other words what stays. Everything else gets moved into a sub folder...which ideally your FE won't notice...if it does...then move the sub folder somewhere else. :morning2:

It could be applied to both roms & videos. So if you are cool with something like that let me know and I'll do a few minutes of coding for you.

Actually that would be amazing. I would probably edit the folders created by ranking.ini before running it and the thing would actually works almost like the "delete" function that I so want and does not exists on Mame.

Because separete the games I want on folders on MameUI is easy. Hard is to match those games with their real zip file name on a large scale, and a script like this would solve the problem.

narcossintese -

[Linky]

Above is a link to two scripts that have been compiled for ease of use...based on the Rankings.ini they will separate your assets. Use one or the other...not both. The same executable will have to be ran on other asset folders if you wish them to match your rom folders.

I think the names should clue you in well enough...the folder one will build sub folders for the different levels of rank. The white list one...will move all non desired roms into a singe sub folder...there isn't any flexibility with the executables, however source code is included so you are more than welcome to alter things as you see fit.

Since this approach is non-destructive you can always manually move your assets back to where they were prior and update accordingly then rerun the scripts to place stuff back.

Anyways have fun.

Circo -

Sorry about the hi-jacking.

narcossintese -

[Linky]

Above is a link to two scripts that have been compiled for ease of use...based on the Rankings.ini they will separate your assets. Use one or the other...not both. The same executable will have to be ran on other asset folders if you wish them to match your rom folders.

I think the names should clue you in well enough...the folder one will build sub folders for the different levels of rank. The white list one...will move all non desired roms into a singe sub folder...there isn't any flexibility with the executables, however source code is included so you are more than welcome to alter things as you see fit.

Since this approach is non-destructive you can always manually move your assets back to where they were prior and update accordingly then rerun the scripts to place stuff back.

Anyways have fun.

Circo -

Sorry about the hi-jacking.

It worked fine, thank you very much! I will even support USA on the World Cup for this ;D

Ps: HOLY SHIT! Just now I realized that we are on the "Mame .137 Video Set" thread. All this time I thought we were on the thread I had created about renaming roms. Sorry, feel free to delete the posts >_<'

You are very welcome. wOOt! got someone else to come over to the dark side. :)

Mods -

If someone would please prune the thread...or move things over to the proper thread.

Circo, Just wondering if you can provide the latest news on the updating of the mame videos set, and if possible your expectations on when it may be completed (I know that you are a busy person)

Thanks

D

• 4 weeks later...

And new development news in the MAME video set?

D

Circo, Just wondering if you can provide the latest news on the updating of the mame videos set, and if possible your expectations on when it may be completed (I know that you are a busy person)

Thanks

D

• 2 weeks later...

Very quiet on the mame video set development?

Is there any development news on the mame .137 video set.?

Since the HyperSpint mame .137 wheel images is in near completion (39 left), I'm hoping that the mame .137 video set is too.

It would be great to have a complete mame .137 wheel and video set working on HyperSpin

D

Development is progressing, but rather slow. Each year summer is kind of hard for me as work is crazy busy. There should be another posted update soon.

Hello Circo,

Thank you for your update. As you know I am keen for the next full release of the mame video set (thanking you for your hard work). I look forward to your updates/release soon.

D

• 4 weeks later...

I am adding 86 new vids (now at .139) to the FTP starting with the FLV's. I have also upped the SQ version for those with tiny hard drives and proc's :)

Im exhausted so not going into too much detail but expect alot more as I am just doing final edits and encodes on a huge group so I can get my hard drive back. The uncompressed files are huge!

Archived