Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

MLSchleps

The original image was created by Simply Austin and was made in the older "jessie" version of Retropie.  I am in the process of converting it over to the new "stretch" version of Retropie (version 4.4).  I've had to modify a few things to the theme in order for it to work and I'm putting together new box art, marquees and videos where needed and coordinated the names of the files so everything works perfectly.  I've also completed the dates, ratings and descriptions for all the games in the databases.  In addition, I have added bezels for the systems and set up filters to make them look like they are being played on a CRT Television or LCD for handhelds.  I started off with the systems that have fewer games, like the Sega 32X, Nintendo Virtual Boy and Atari Lynx - these are complete and I am happy with the results.  I will upload these System Packs and the Theme to the FTP with instructions on how to set up your Retropie and where to put the files.  Simply Austin did an amazing job with the original and I am just reusing his brilliant work and tweaking it to work in the new version of Retropie.  Regardless of whether or not you use my modified version of the theme, my system packs are 100% compatible with the original Sega Genesis Mini image he created.  I will update this topic whenever I upload something to the FTP and add instructions on how to set them up.

Update:  It was suggested to me by someone on Discord that I also give credit to Dave Marti/Dwayne Hurst for Motion Blue.  I  want to make sure everyone involved in this project receives the proper credit for the work they have done.  I sincerely apologize for the omission.

Sega Genesis Mini.jpg

So, on the EmuMovies FTP, I have created a folder at /Upload Here/_Other/MLSchleps.  In here are two folders - one for the modified theme and another with System Packs.

1.  To get started, download the "motionblue" theme from the FTP.

2.  Install it on the retropie.  To do this, create a themes folder in /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation, copy the "motionblue" folder over to it and restart emulationstation.

3.  Hit the start button to bring up the main menu and select "UI Settings".  Scroll down to "Theme Set" and select "MOTIONBLUE".

4.  While still in the "UI Settings", go all the way to the bottom and turn off "On-Screen Help".

5.  Exit out of "UI Settings" and return to the Main Menu.  Select "Other Settings" and turn on "Use OMX Player (HW Accelerated)".

You are now ready to use retropie.  Download some System Packs, follow the setup instructions, add some ROMS and you will be ready to play!  I will be making updates to the Motionblue theme as I add System Packs.

Here's a list of some of the changes I have made to Simply Austin's theme and art:

1.  I had to use the OMX player for the videos because in the "jessie" version, the videos would get green artifacts through many of the videos and there was no option that I could find to use the OMX player.  The videos look great now, but the OMX player overwrote the box art and description, so I had to shrink the videos so nothing was covered.  I also widened the border so the videos look centered.

2.  I deleted some of the red bars by the Sega logo at the top left of the screen so the marquees look centered now.

3.  I changed some of the system logos because I didn't like the blue border around them - just personal preference.

4.  All the box art and marquees have been resized and centered.  I made all the boxes 370x540 and the marquees 400x110, so now all of the marquees are centered and the boxes stay in the same location and don't jump all over the place.

5.  I've added bezels for the games and filters so they have a nicer presentation while playing them.

I hope you like the additions and tweaks I have made to this wonderful theme Simply Austin created.  There will be many more System Packs released over time.  I am currently working on finishing up the Sega CD pack, which should hopefully be ready next week.  Let me know what packs you want me to work on next!

Here's some awful pictures I took of the TV last night:

20180720_000529.jpg

20180720_000654.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So today, I uploaded another system pack to my folder on the EmuMovies FTP at /Upload Here/_Other/MLSchleps. It is "System Pack #4 - NEC Supergrafx".  There's only 5 games for it, so it was a somewhat quick one to do.  You have to copy over es_systems.cfg to /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation in order for it to be recognized - that file is located in the Themes folder on the FTP.  I'm still working on the SegaCD pack - all the artwork is done, I'm just working on completing the database.  

• 4 months later...

So after thinking about this for a while, I have decided to release the System Packs here on this thread, so everyone will have access to it.  Included in the System Packs will be the ROMS folder, which has the boxart and marquees for each and a 'snap' folder for the movies.  You can get either the low-res movies from the site or get the hi-res movies from the FTP and place them in the 'snap' folder - just make sure the video names are the same as the ones in the boxart folder and everything will work perfectly.  Place your ROM files in the ROMS folder and make sure they are named the same as the boxart files - case matters, so make sure they are named exactly the same.  Also included in the zip file are config files and bezels.  There is an instructions.txt file that tells you where to place the files.

Finally, there is a gamelist.xml file which goes in the ROMS folder.  This is my least favorite part of doing these packs.  This is the database that contains all the information about the games.  I separated this out because this file is a work-in-progress that will be updated as I get more information.    Some games don't have all the information like descriptions, release date, etc.  I'll update it as I get time to do it.... unless someone awesome wants to help with it :)

So here is the modified Simply Austin Sega Genesis Mini Image, bare minimum with no gamepaks installed yet:

Sega_Genesis_Mini_Theme.zip

Here is System Pack #2: Atari Lynx!  This was a labor of love.  I actually had this system and about 25 games for it.  I had both versions, but the second release was my favorite.  This System Pack has the second version as a bezel and the bezel actually rotates depending on the game.  I think you will really be happy with this pack if you are a Lynx fan!

Atari Lynx.jpg

System_Pack_No._2_-_Atari_Lynx_(v1.0).zip

System Pack No. 2 - Atari Lynx gamelist (v1.0).zip

Here is System Pack #6 - SNK Neo Geo!  This is THE definitive Neo Geo experience on Retropie!  I have spent a lot of time on this and this is what I've been working on the most for the last several months.  This pack contains the original boxart for each Neo Geo game and bezels for each game that has the original marquee with the game controls.  The CRT filters are also in place to make this a realistic arcade/home experience. Where there was no original boxart or marquee, custom boxart and marquees in the same format of the originals were created to put together a complete set.  This pack should please any Neo Geo enthusiast!  I hope you enjoy it!

Neo Geo.png

System_Pack_No._6_-_SNK_Neo_Geo_(v1.0).zip

System Pack No. 6 - SNK Neo Geo Gamelist (v1.0).zip

• 2 months later...

Here is System Pack #7 - The Sega Master System!  This has taken quite a while to complete, but it was worth it.  This is a combination of official US Releases, Europe releases, Japanese releases that have english text in the games, and releases from Brazil.  Also included prototypes and some homebrew games in the mix.  Bezel included to match the Mini Genesis format and CRT filters.   Enjoy!

Sega Master System.jpg

System Pack No. 7 - Sega Master System (v1.0).zip

System Pack No. 7 - Sega Master System Gamelist (v1.0).zip

• 1 month later...

Hi I have version 1.4 and the box art it not coming up in front off the video,can you please share your theme.xml for this please,I am trying to fix it or you can post the code at the bottom of the them.xml (or the whole theme.xml),where it says ...

<view name="video">
      <image name="crt" extra="true">
         <path>./_inc/images/overlay.png</path>
      </image>
      <image name="md_marquee">
         <origin>5 5</origin>
         <pos>1 1</pos>
      </image>
      <video name="md_video">
         <origin>0.5 0.5</origin>
         <pos>0.285 0.475</pos>
         <size>0.49 0.66</size>
         <delay>0.01</delay>
         <default>./_inc/videos/static.mp4</default>
         <showSnapshotNoVideo>true</showSnapshotNoVideo>
         <showSnapshotDelay>true</showSnapshotDelay>
		 <delay>2</delay>
      </video>

<image name="md_marquee">
         <pos>0.19 0.017</pos>
         <origin>0 0</origin>
         <maxSize>0.2 0.1.4</maxSize>
      </image>
   </view>

</theme>

Thanks..

Here is System Pack #8 - The Sega CD!  This is a combination of official US Releases, Europe releases and Japanese releases that have english text in the games and a few unreleased prototypes.  Bezel included to match the Mini Genesis format and CRT filters.   All of the cue files are included with this pack - just make sure the bin files have the same file name as the cue file - case matters!  Enjoy.

Sega CD.png

System Pack #8 - Sega CD (v1.0).rar System Pack #8 - Sega CD Gamelist (v1.0).zip

spannernick1, the mini-genesis theme these are all designed to work with is at the top of this thread - posted December 8th.  There are also detailed instructions with it to help set it up.

Don't forget everyone, the system packs, complete with all the hi-res videos are in my folder on the EmuMovies FTP at /Upload Here/_Other/MLSchleps.    Become a member of EmuMovies for FTP access!

This will probably be the last update I will have for a few months - I am tackling a big one next - the Sega Genesis.  Bear with me - I will get it done eventually. 🙂

38 minutes ago, MLSchleps said:

spannernick1, the mini-genesis theme these are all designed to work with is at the top of this thread - posted December 8th.  There are also detailed instructions with it to help set it up.

Don't forget everyone, the system packs, complete with all the hi-res videos are in my folder on the EmuMovies FTP at /Upload Here/_Other/MLSchleps.    Become a member of EmuMovies for FTP access!

This will probably be the last update I will have for a few months - I am tackling a big one next - the Sega Genesis.  Bear with me - I will get it done eventually. 🙂

I am just after the theme.xml, the theme is called Motion Blue,its here "RETROPIE\configs\all\emulationstation\themes\motionblue" ...??
I don't have any money at the moment.I don't have access to the FTP. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 5:51 PM, MLSchleps said:

So after thinking about this for a while, I have decided to release the System Packs here on this thread, so everyone will have access to it.  Included in the System Packs will be the ROMS folder, which has the boxart and marquees for each and a 'snap' folder for the movies.  You can get either the low-res movies from the site or get the hi-res movies from the FTP and place them in the 'snap' folder - just make sure the video names are the same as the ones in the boxart folder and everything will work perfectly.  Place your ROM files in the ROMS folder and make sure they are named the same as the boxart files - case matters, so make sure they are named exactly the same.  Also included in the zip file are config files and bezels.  There is an instructions.txt file that tells you where to place the files.

Finally, there is a gamelist.xml file which goes in the ROMS folder.  This is my least favorite part of doing these packs.  This is the database that contains all the information about the games.  I separated this out because this file is a work-in-progress that will be updated as I get more information.    Some games don't have all the information like descriptions, release date, etc.  I'll update it as I get time to do it.... unless someone awesome wants to help with it :)

So here is the modified Simply Austin Sega Genesis Mini Image, bare minimum with no gamepaks installed yet:

Sega_Genesis_Mini_Theme.zip

just curious but how do I install this theme.. im new'ish about this. Thanks

To install this theme, create a themes folder in /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation, copy the "motionblue" folder over to it and restart emulationstation.  I use Filezilla as my FTP program to access the retropie folders.

Hit the start button to bring up the main menu and select "UI Settings".  Scroll down to "Theme Set" and select "MOTIONBLUE".

While still in the "UI Settings", go all the way to the bottom and turn off "On-Screen Help".

Exit out of "UI Settings" and return to the Main Menu.  Select "Other Settings" and turn on "Use OMX Player (HW Accelerated)".

You are now ready to use retropie.  Download some System Packs, follow the setup instructions, add some ROMS and you will be ready to play!

• 3 months later...

Hi MLSchleps.

Quick question. Your version of this theme works perfectly on the latest retropie version on my raspberry pi 3B+ but Simply Austins original version on the FTP shows a black screen with a lightning bolt on startup and stays like that. I'm using a genuine raspberry pi 5V 2.5A power supply so my pi isn't being under-powered. RetroPie, recalbox, batocera and lakka all work perfectly on the same 64GB sandisk ultra micro sd card that i put the original version on so I cant understand why the original version is showing the thunderbolt and nothing else. Do you possibly have any idea?

Another problem I just recently got with your theme is the box arts are cut off a little on the left side. I've tried resizing them to the correct sizes you mentioned above but no change. Tried increasing and decreasing the sizes and its still cut off no matter what sizes the box arts are. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the lightning bolt.  I have a 3B and it doesn't give me a problem.  As far as the artwork getting cut off, I don't know.  I have given the same files to one of my friends at work to test them out and he didn't have any issues.  The only thing I can think of is that I had to modify some of the files in the theme to make things fit properly on the screen - maybe replace the theme with a fresh copy.  My version is designed to run at 1920x1080, so if you have a different resolution than that, maybe that is the reason the box art is cut off a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

This theme is Awesome! Thanks alot! I have 1 issue i can't seem to resolve all of my boxart is stretched off the left hand side of the screen. I tried different resolutions and i even tried the theme on retropie on linux but same issue and ideas wold be great, Thanks!

Archived