Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Video Discussion: RetroFE - Best NEW Front End out there?

SIMPLYAUSTIN

Name: RetroFE - Best NEW Front End out there?
Category: Front-End Demos
Date Added: 2016-05-13
Submitter: SIMPLYAUSTIN

Here I take a look at what has been under development for around a year now. A new Open Source Front end that catures all the best features from the current popular FEs and puts them all into one... RetroFE. In my eyes, this has come a long way and is snapping at the heels of the leaders. One talented theme maker could change the game for them.... what do you think?

RetroFE - Best NEW Front End out there?
  • Like 1

Yeah, I have made my mind up and retro fe is my one and only. I have a feeling before we realize it happened it will be the best front end around. Plus you cannot find a better community, everybody on the retrofe forums seems to be mature and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2016 at 5:36 AM, BlueArrowUK said:

Retro FE does look cool but I love Launchbox too much to switch :D

I agree, especially with theme support in the works, Launchbox will be the best frontend out there!

It's a great frontend but lately development and activity has slowed down quite bit. Also, I find it really difficult to make themes/layouts and the ones that are currently available are nice but just don't suit my taste. Having said this, I certainly will keep an eye on retrofe and think that it's definitely a very promising project :)

If I remember correctly, its either RetroFE or Attact Mode, but I'm not so keen on layout designing. Doesn't it use some sort or random programming language? Squirrel or something?

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, phulshof said:

Actually, development has really stepped up over the past weeks. :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good to hear that! Look forward to further development with retrofe and would love to see some new layouts, since I have absolutely no ability to design my own :)

RetroFE uses XML files for its layouts.

My apologies. I knew it was one or the other. I will certainly take another look at RetroFE. Admittedly it's been a while since I looked at its development.

I've taken over development for now with emb's blessing; we're releasing via bit bucket and via the forums.

Keep us informed with the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, phulshof said:

We're working on several, but so far this one is most promising: http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=232.0

Yep, I've recently been trying that one. This is 'bundangdon' from the retrofe forums by the way :) The 'fantastic' layout is a bit of a mess on my system but it's definitely got some major potential and looks extremely polished and professional

7 hours ago, Don said:

Yep, I've recently been trying that one. This is 'bundangdon' from the retrofe forums by the way :) The 'fantastic' layout is a bit of a mess on my system but it's definitely got some major potential and looks extremely polished and professional

I just posted a WIP update; feel free to have a look. You'll have to get the latest executable from the 0.7.2 thread, or compile it yourself. :) There's a huge layout update from 0.7.1 to 07.2 so it will not work very well with older versions of RetroFE.
If it's a mess on your system, please send me some screenshots to show me what's wrong so I can fix it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Circo said:

Keep us informed with the progress

Release 0.7.1 was released not too long ago, and we're working hard on the features for 0.7.2. This release will focus on new layout features, and will fix many of the animation issues we had in the past. We're regularly releasing pre-alpha builds for Windows, and users can always compile the latest status from my personal RetroFE fork/development branch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, as someone who frequently bothers their developers with bugs/errors and other miscellaneous requests, I can honestly claim that retrofe is certainly one of the best! The most recent updates now make it a much smoother and flexible frontend, and the latest layouts (aeon nox, xmb, etc.) are very nice with a professional touch :)

• 2 weeks later...

RetroFE is at build 0.7.14 now. :)

Circo has given me permission for the following:

A first RetroFE environment has been uploaded to the EmuMovies FTP at /Upload/RetroFE. This environment contains the following collections:
- Arcade
- Capcom Play System I
- Capcom Play System II
- Capcom Play System III
- Cave
- SNK Neo Geo MVS
- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- Nintendo 64

These sets just contain art, no roms, for obvious reasons. The Arcade set currently contains a set of dummy roms (empty files) to allow the sub collections like CPS I-III, Cave, and SNK Neo Geo MVS to show up. These will be removed when RetroFE is updated to no longer need them.

In principle this environment is a simple download and run. Just add your own games, and perhaps other collections, add the required launchers, and you're set to go. This set will be checked, updated and maintained by me whenever I can find the time to finish up a new collection. If you feel you have material that could be of use, please PM me.

• Like 1

Great work! But you really need to get something on your main page/website. I've seen some posts here and there, including Simply Austin's youtube page, where a few people seem to be confused while looking around on the retrofe website and the latest download (available) is from over a year ago. Also, I can guess that a lot of people aren't going to jump on board with a new frontend if they have to set up an ftp account, have to register on the retrofe boards to find the latest files, layouts, etc. However, it's fantastic to see that you're spreading the word out there :)