Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Video Submission Guidelines and Tutorial [2011 Version] (Basic)

Circo

THIS GUIDE IS WELL OUT OF DATE, @Audi85 HAS POSTED A NEW GUIDE ON OUR DISCORD

Preferred (Basic) Submissions Guidelines:

• 2 videos per game (Title, Game play)
  • Title sequences should be 4 to 20 seconds (7 seconds should be average)
  • Game play sequences should be 30 seconds on average
  • Do not use any video filters or effects
  • TSCC encoded - Better Compression Setting (Lossless format)
  • XviD level 1 or 2 also accepted (Much smaller file sizes)
  • [Audio] PCM (audio) (other lossless formats ok)

Tools Needed:

Step 1 - Capture Video

• I suggest that you use FRAPS whenever possible, it typically captures at a higher frame rate and is easy to use. Support is limited to games and emulators that utilize Direct3D or OpenGL.
  • When FRAPS does not work, or if you are getting clicks in the audio when using FRAPS the Camtasia Studio is recommended for capturing video.
  • Run emulator or program in a window when possible, try to keep maximum resolution at or below 800x600, while 640x480 is preferred, native resolution is also acceptable as the bit-rate is so high.
  • When capturing video I suggest starting the capture software when you first load up the game, let it run until the title screen, for gameplay captures try to capture at least a good 30 seconds of gameplay. I usually record about 2 to 4 min and then cut it down in the editing process.
  • When setting up the emulator for capturing be sure that no video effects or filters are enabled and that proper aspect ratio is used for the given game...do not force an unnatural aspect ratio. Exception: resolution multipliers are acceptable so long as they don't alter the pixels...in other words no HQ4x or SAI.
  • Defragment your Capture hard-drive before attempting to capture video to help with consistent frame-rates.
  • Use a 7200 RPM hard drive or better, 5400 RPM laptop drives, 5900 RPM "Green" drives, or USB 2.0 drives are not recommended.

Step 2 - Edit Video

• VirtualDub is a fairly easy to use video editing application and it's FREE.
  • STEP BY STEP VIDEO TUTORIAL
  • If the system has an overscan issue or black bars in the video you can crop those out if desired [Advanced]

Step 3 - Upload Videos

Create a folder in the Upload Area of the F.T.P. (Site Username)

Create a Sub-Folder with the System you are uploading video for (ie:\Upload Here\username\Sega Genesis

Upload video files to folder

What Happens to your Submission

Videos will be cropped, sized and edited together with transitions

Audio will be normalized

Final FLV and AVI versions will be encoded

Naming will be audited and it will be added to Official Set

Credit will be given in Download Listing

That's it, hopefully this will allow more Members to submit videos that we can use for the Project.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Circo,

So now all submissions must be a separate video for gameplay and title?

I've already done quite a few videos for Neo Geo CD, and I'm not keeping the title/gameplay separate, I'm only keeping the edited file with gameplay+title. So this can't be used?

I keep the edited TSCC files so if you really need the gameplay and title separate I guess you can always cut them yourself :)

I should upload the new mugen vids soon btw, I'm finally done with those. or I hope ^^

I'm getting much larger file sizes for the TSCC videos on Neo Geo CD though and I have no idea why since the settings are the same I used for Mugen, but I'm getting like 200-300MB per file which will be a problem if I want to upload the whole set.,

Circo,

So now all submissions must be a separate video for gameplay and title?

I've already done quite a few videos for Neo Geo CD, and I'm not keeping the title/gameplay separate, I'm only keeping the edited file with gameplay+title. So this can't be used?

I keep the edited TSCC files so if you really need the gameplay and title separate I guess you can always cut them yourself :)

I should upload the new mugen vids soon btw, I'm finally done with those. or I hope ^^

I'm getting much larger file sizes for the TSCC videos on Neo Geo CD though and I have no idea why since the settings are the same I used for Mugen, but I'm getting like 200-300MB per file which will be a problem if I want to upload the whole set.,

Keno also had a set of 50 neo-geo cd videos. I just finished it the other 47 It's 100% to the HyperSpin XML. However he did use filters in his and I would rather not have filters on in the videos, can you upload what you have and we may have everything we need to be done. :D

On your MUGEN set are you using that in HyperSpin, if so can you upload your XML as well? I'll include it with the videos.

I have been thinking about the tscc thing and I agree the file sizes are huge. I will be glad to take Xvid Level 1 or 2 videos, should be about 1/4 the size and still plenty good enough. As far as the splits, I can do that if they are already done it's not a huge deal.

EDIT: I updated the guide that we will also accept XviD Level 1 or 2. This will give file sizes approx 1/4 that of TSCC if bandwidth is a concern.

hmm I still don't like the idea of dropping lossless source files.

One could use x264 in lossless mode...while it most likely will not get down to Xvid level 1 or 2 it will at least be much smaller than TSCC.

Sample Video:

TSCC = 52.6mb

x264 (Medium) = 38.7mb

x264 (Very Slow) = 33.7mb

x264 (Placebo) = 32.8mb

Minus the audio stream:

TSCC = 42.6mb

x264 (Medium) = 28.7mb

x264 (Very Slow) = 23.7mb

x264 (Placebo) = 22.8mb

So nearly half the size at it's best setting...and keep in mind it's still lossless.

http://sourceforge.n...ojects/x264vfw/

Set it up as displayed in the attached image.

post-18-0-10222600-1297776913_thumb.png

With Mugen, filesizes were relatively small even with TSCC, but on the Neo Geo CD videos the sizes went sky rocket. I never thought that there would be that much of a difference since the resolution is the same.

I also think we should keep them lossless since we can reconvert it without any quality loss later on if by some reason we want to do it.

Circo, wait so you are doing Neo Geo CD videos too? Oh man... can you tell me what you have done, you did 47 already? Because if you did I will only make the remaining ones and move to CD32 after that. I'm not sure how many I did already, but I started alphabetically should be on letter G or so.

I had a NGCD video set as well, not sure if it was from Keno, but the ones I had didn't have the title screen at the end, are those the ones?

I'm using Mugen on HS, I'll up the xml together with the videos then. And man, you're a video making machine, how can you do so many videos that quick? I'm really amazed at the speed you are putting them out.

NoLogic : do you think x264 would make a bigger difference on filesize for larger videos? I'm talking about 200-300MB per 35 sec clip.

With Mugen, filesizes were relatively small even with TSCC, but on the Neo Geo CD videos the sizes went sky rocket. I never thought that there would be that much of a difference since the resolution is the same.

I also think we should keep them lossless since we can reconvert it without any quality loss later on if by some reason we want to do it.

Circo, wait so you are doing Neo Geo CD videos too? Oh man... can you tell me what you have done, you did 47 already? Because if you did I will only make the remaining ones and move to CD32 after that. I'm not sure how many I did already, but I started alphabetically should be on letter G or so.

I had a NGCD video set as well, not sure if it was from Keno, but the ones I had didn't have the title screen at the end, are those the ones?

I am done with the set actually, I started with what Keno did and added titles, then I made all the remaining ones and audited to the HyperList naming convention. Still trying to decide if I should use TOSEC naming for the AVI's though.

I'm using Mugen on HS, I'll up the xml together with the videos then. And man, you're a video making machine, how can you do so many videos that quick? I'm really amazed at the speed you are putting them out.

NoLogic : do you think x264 would make a bigger difference on filesize for larger videos? I'm talking about 200-300MB per 35 sec clip.

I haven't tried it myself, since I am local on everything here there is no sense encoding it to that format for me. But if you can batch the encodes then I would say go for it. As far as fast, like I said almost everything is automated at this point plus I have been at this for years ;) It also helps that I have been spending close to 14 hours a day 5 days a week on this project the last few months. (Thats one plus to short term disability) Anyway keep the submissions coming it's a huge HUGE help. CD32 besides a few test vids I did a year ago (that I can't even find right now) has been untouched. So it's all yours ;D, looking forward to that final MUGEN set!

Cool, so tell me do you think I should bother redoing Keno's videos or not?

Any chance you could put up a couple of them (already with the titles added) so I can check the quality? Because if they are good enough I'll jump to CD32 straight ahead and won't waste any more time with Neo Geo CD.

woo 14 hours a day, that explains it, props for you mate for being so commited to the project. I hope when the artwork sets at HS get finalized more people will join in helping doing movies.

Cool, so tell me do you think I should bother redoing Keno's videos or not?

Any chance you could put up a couple of them (already with the titles added) so I can check the quality? Because if they are good enough I'll jump to CD32 straight ahead and won't waste any more time with Neo Geo CD.

woo 14 hours a day, that explains it, props for you mate for being so commited to the project. I hope when the artwork sets at HS get finalized more people will join in helping doing movies.

Honestly, just move on, I looked at them again and you can't tell really. I compensated with a slight blur in production. I also replaced 2 that he pointed out had glitches. If I wasn't going to a concert tonight I would get the set posted. Gonna have to be tomorrow though.

Fatal Fury Special (World) (En,Ja).zip

It would be nice if more folks helped but I am extremely grateful for those that do!

I would expect the same results.

TSCC = 200mb

x264 (Placebo) = 110mb

However if it's Fraps:

Fraps = 200mb

x264 (Placebo) = 51mb

The compression is largely going to vary depending on what the video contains...like a vid of Pong would get insane file size reduction.

However I haven't done much testing at this point....I know that:

Lagarith is typically 2/3rd the size of HUFFYUV

FRAPS is typically 1/8th the size of Lagarith

TSCC is typically 50% the size of FRAPS

x264 can be 50% the size of TSCC

I also know that better gains can be done with x264 if the input is YV12 rather than RGB...but then we are getting things way to complicated.

=================================

Now since we are talking about creating the smallest possible lossless assets...I can write a script that would batch files to x264 for the video stream & Monkey's Audio or FLAC for the audio stream. I might be able to stuff FLAC into a video container...but I'm certain that Monkey would have to be made an external file.

FLAC & Monkey are both about 50% of the size of PCM with Monkey doing slightly better compression.

Yeah Circo they seem fine to me, if you are releasing them soon then I'll put them on hold and will compare them against mine, but most likely I'll move on to CD32.

Thanks for the info NoLogic, might be worth a shot indeed I guess only some tests will tell for sure. I'll see how big the CD32 videos will get, and probably give x264 a try.

Okay cool...but be sure to set the FourCC value correctly other wise it'll have to be changed later otherwise the video won't play right. I had it set to h264 instead of x264 and all I got was junk, when played in MPC or VDub...but once set correctly everything was fine.

=====================

Okay I can stuff FLAC into an AVI file.....BUT I can't seem to set the FourCC tag...further the video fails to open in VDub & VLC...MPC will play it but timeline is disabled...so no scrubbing.

Monkey at present can not be stuffed into an AVI container.

So if we were to use LossLess Audio Codec's the files would have to be external (*.flac & *.ape)....then they would further need to be converted back to PCM to be used with the likes of VDub.

=====================

Now I can stuff FLAC into a MKV container but not Monkey...but this time with the FourCC tag set correctly...which is perfectly playable in VLC & MPC and can be opened in VDub with a input plugin from here: [Linky] ...however I have yet to get the FLAC audio to play while in VDub...however this will likely be overcome by an AviSynth Script.

=====================

wOOt!!

Okay we can use FLAC bar none. :D

I was able to enable audio playback with an AviSynth script...however general editing should still be done in TSCC & PCM in an AVI container...once the clips (Title & Game Play) are finalized then encoding to x264 & FLAC in a MKV container would be advisable.

Sample Video:

TSCC & PCM + AVI = 52.6mb

x264 & PCM + AVI = 32.8mb

x264 & FLAC + MKV = 26.9mb

AviSynth requires the latest ffmpegsource plugin found: here

Synth Script just needs:

FFmpegSource2( "C:\testing\final.mkv" , vtrack = -1 , atrack = -1 )

=====================

For those looking to test this out after creating an AVI container holding lossless x264 & PCM use FFMpeg from here and use the following command line (edit as needed):

ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\testing\final.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec flac -sn "C:\testing\final.mkv"

I'll likely automate this later on

I recently updated to Camtasia 7 and I have noticed that the new TSCC codec included is giving me final file sizes about 1/2 the size of the old TSCC codec. I would suggest upgrading to the latest codec.

Just a tip if anyone didn't know, there's an option for the TSCC codec how fast it should encode that has a major influence on the file size. This should be set to "Better compression". I have it on "Faster" when I record though, to minimize the risk of dropped frames.

• 1 month later...

Just recorded two games, this guide was a huge help!

The first game Ougun Musou Kyoku was easy to record, since it's running on DirectX I just used fraps to record it at 60 fps at 1280x720.

The second game however, Vanguard Princess was a bit more challenging. It's running 640x480 and not using DirectX so I couldn't just FRAPS it regularly, I tried using Camtasia but getting 60 fps consistently was just not possible on this machine. I was about to give up until I found out that Windows 7/Vista users can Screen Record using Fraps!

So what I did was:

• Set desktop resolution to the games native resolution (640x480 in this case)
  • Check Monitor Aero desktop (DWM) in FRAPS under General (This is what enables Screen Recording)
  • Fullscreen the game and recorded using FRAPS

Not sure how useful this will be for other people, but if you are having trouble recording at 60 fps consistently with Camtasia, try this :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Then what to do if i want to make a snap video preview for my wheel?

just the same and then merge the flv's together?

and what about the video change effect, when you go from one to another game in the snaps..

is that created in AE?

edit:

arhh.. so i have to use the avisynth script generator

hmm i will look into that

strange.. i get an error when i try to locate the folder with my videos..

631203.jpg

im using win7 x64, and my files is .avi

It's more than using the script you need about 12 6 secong tscc vids. Have you uploaded any of your work to the ftp? If so I could stitch them together for you real fast.

ohh.. do i have to follow your video tutorial with vdub, compress and then this?

this is my first try, so no i havent uploaded any of my work on the ftp,

besides that i like to learn it myself :) + im not a supported member, so i dont have prevelegies to use the ftp server

edit:

okay.. even after i have compressed my files down (xvid)

im still getting the error with avisynth Script Generator :S

what am i doing wrong?

Howdy & thanks for the tutorial.

Found my way to this thread due to insane file sizes using Fraps & Vdub. Could you guys please see if my new submission is approximately what you're after? Is the procedure for compressing via Xvid as simple as installing a codec & selecting it in Vdub? The file size & upload time for my first attempt is freakin' ridiculous for less than a minute of video.

Test Vid Info:

PopCap - Banana Bugs

Windowed mode yielded 712x536

Fraps ver 3.2.3

Latest TSCC

Vdub ver 1.9.11

30 second vid with suggested settings = 994mb ?!?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking at making a PC game wheel as well. How long is the turn around time between my uploading, your editing and availability for download? I have about 80 pc games... Will you make a flv and mp4 file available? I'd like to prep for HS 2.0

Archived