Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

My First MAME Machine

vglord57

OK, so I want to eventually build a real stand up cabinet, but as there is no space available at the moment that's not really plausible. I would like to assemble some sort so portable PC that handles MAME and current gen games, such as Street Fighter 4. I would like to be able to take the machine over friends houses for some fun, but some do not have HDMI, so there will need to be some sort of regular outputs. On top of that, I would like some arcade controllers as well. I haven't looked too much into those yet, but I know some people make their own. So, any ideas on hardware? This is not a need to buy now, but I want to start planning.

OK, so I want to eventually build a real stand up cabinet, but as there is no space available at the moment that's not really plausible. I would like to assemble some sort so portable PC that handles MAME and current gen games, such as Street Fighter 4. I would like to be able to take the machine over friends houses for some fun, but some do not have HDMI, so there will need to be some sort of regular outputs. On top of that, I would like some arcade controllers as well. I haven't looked too much into those yet, but I know some people make their own. So, any ideas on hardware? This is not a need to buy now, but I want to start planning.

I get my stuff from www.groovygamegear.com highly recommended.

:)

It really depends on your budget, on my new bartop (that I really need to finish) I used ultimarc 360's for the sticks, Nice compatability with modern and classic games. All of my buttons and controllers were from groovygamegear, both companies sell just top notch product. I am not much of a woodworker so I usually get my cabs and panels from mameroom and just add my own parts. As far as connections, if they dont have hdmi they probably have vga or dvi. TV's with just composite and s-video are beginning to get scarce and I highly recommend a card with hdmi.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If it is just to connect to a computer by USB, you can buy Xbox 360 stick (like HORI EX 2) and plug it directly into it.

Or if you already have a PS1, PS2 stick, just use an USB adapter. It works very well, without any lag (for the ones I have tested).

If you want to play at SF IV on a Portable, it will cost a lot... (for full settings in max).

So I started peeling the side art, and will drill the lock tomorrow in the back. The monitor I was looking at weighs 90 LBS!!!!!!!!! So I'll need to add some support. I may still go with an LCD screen, not quite sure as I'd like to have HD a possibility when playing Street Fighter 4. Started looking around on other things too, I'll put up a list of sites I use incase someone else wants reference for later.

The converted over neo geo cab looks like a nice candidate for a mame . Option if you do not want to take off the control panel is drill holes in the front of the control panel for the start and misc button and drill out the top with a 7 button config if it will hold it. When you put an overlay and plexi or lexar on top it will be barely noticeable. Will be a pain because I am sure the back is already full of holes already from whatever the previous game it was.

So a friend of mine says he can hook me up with some 7" car speakers, plexiglass for the screen, extra buttons and joystickss...for FREE! I was offered a 26" lcd for free as well, so I probably put that in instead of a 28" as that shaves 300 off the bottomline. I could always add bigger too. I need to take the control panel and wiring apart to see what its like. Stay tuned for more updates.

So a friend of mine says he can hook me up with some 7" car speakers, plexiglass for the screen, extra buttons and joystickss...for FREE! I was offered a 26" lcd for free as well, so I probably put that in instead of a 28" as that shaves 300 off the bottomline. I could always add bigger too. I need to take the control panel and wiring apart to see what its like. Stay tuned for more updates.

And where can I get friends like that?! That's the best price ever, Free-Ninety-Nine! Look forward to seeing more.

That's not a friend it's a SUGAR DADDY rofl.gif

Guest Tojin

If you have any difficulties with the panel part. Don't hesitate to ask.

I have done some PC hackpad and 360 hackpad for my Mamecab.

The electronic part may be the most frustrating part when you don't know how to do (and especially when you're not at ease with a soldering iron).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am in the process of building a cabinet and I can't wait until I have it finished. Here are some progress shots. My main motivation for this is I have always wanted my own arcade game since the days of Street Fighter 2. I probably spent enough quarters on Capcom arcade Fighting games I could have financed this project three times over. Here is my progress so far. I am planning on running controls for two players as well as 2 xbox 360 wireless controllers for up to 4 players. I am going to be running a pretty decent dell computer P4 dual core Windows 7 64-bit (for hyperspin with mame, daphne, and a bunch of other emulators) and a modded xbox with a bunch of games running off the hard drive. For the monitor, I had an old 27" hdtv that I had to slightly modify to shrink it down width wise. One of my hang ups right now is I am having trouble connecting the computer to the TV. The TV supports 480p or 1080i via component video or RGB cable. I can't configure the output properly from the computer so that the TV shows the picture. Here is the progress so far:

photo5.jpg

Just a mock up to check button layout and space needed for wiring.

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't configure the output properly from the computer so that the TV shows the picture.

I've used these on several occasions, not the best quality, but pretty good for MAME etc...