Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Arcade controls light up per game??

beev

Anybody know if there is any arcade cab setups were the buttons light up depending on if they are used or not in the game? Maybe even a step further with displaying the buttons letter or number however the game defines it?

A user script was written for RocketLauncher to switch the config files for U360 digital joysticks automatically, depending on the game type.  You could easily modify the AHK script to send command lines to a PACLed64 instead, which should be MORE than sufficient to light up every button you could ever have.  The module is $60, and the LEDs button prices are relatively minimal ($5 a button?).  Yes, creating the config .ini file would be a pain, but you have to remember that you could probably cover 75% of the games with 3-4 layouts.  Most shmups only use buttons 1 and 2.  Most fighters use 5 buttons in an "H" pattern, or all 6 (or 8 if you're SF IV).  NeoGeo uses 4 in a row, etc.   It's the remaining 25% that would take forever (Spy Hunter, and Assault are all good examples of games with overly-complicated controls). 

All I'm saying is your total investment would only be about $100.  It's the programming time that would be the real cost.

That's not to bad for pricing.  I'm no where near actually getting to build a cab yet.  I have a few older cars to finish first.  But when I do get around to it I think such a feature would be a nice touch.

You are probably right about that 25% being a pain staking task, I think I could deal with the 75% for awhile.

Do you have any sweet machines that you've done?  I like to browse at what others have done so I can start to think more about what I would want in a build

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived