Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Best emulator for each system?

badflame

• 1 month later...

RetroArch is not an emulator.

Anyway, I have seen all those lists that supposedly list best emulators per system, but you will always find people that disagree.

I have only three that cannot change.

- For Arcade and most obscure systems. MAME. Which I hope becomes better and better renders others useless (including the use of RetroArch - because if you use MAME for everything then there is no point for RA).

- For Amiga: WinUAE. BY FAR the most developed Amiga emulator. Tom is a wizard dev. Probably would work for Commodore if they were still a proper company.

- For C64 (and other 8bit Commodore): WinVICE. Also the most developed CBM emulator. They are a bit weird with their official releases (although they are looking to re-normalize them), but their nightlies are fine too.

All others vary.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, f8lbyte said:

RetroArch all the way for everything except for a few exceptions, (dang you Atari 5200!)

There is now an Atari800 core which includes support for the 5200. There is some setup required of course but it works very well. H.E.R.O. plays so good on it with a proper digital controller, so responsive and 2 buttons :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I spent alot of time trying to get Higan to work, i heard it was the best Emulation you can get for SNES...i wanted to love it, but i am just going to stick with Snes9x , it may not be the most accurate,but its pretty close and worth not having a headache

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I think if you are going to list RetroArch, you should mention what platforms you emulate with it and which core you use to do so. That would be extremely helpful and I think it would be more in line with the OP's original hopes for discussion. 

Cheers!

• 8 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, Raminios said:

I've actually been hand picking each emulator and manually setting it up in LaunchBox, I like the customizability and freedom it gives me.

I've been doing the same thing as I'm setting up Launchbox again on our living room computer.  I tried Retroarch briefly a few years ago but the cores I tried for PlayStation where missing things from ePSXe that I couldn't get over.  I am planning to probably try it again for N64 due to the issues with newer versions of Project 64, but for now I don't mind setting up different emulators for each system as I'm used to it.

My wife and I mainly play consoles so this is what I've been using so far on Windows 10:

• NES: Mesen
  • SNES: Snes9x
  • PlayStation: ePSXe
  • PlayStation 2: PCSX2
  • Gamecube: Dolphin

On my phone I also use a few:

• SNES: Snes9x EX+
  • GameBoy/GameBoy Colour: My Oldboy!
  • GameBoy Advance: My Boy!
  • PlayStation: ePSXe
  • PlayStation Portable: PPSSPP

• 2 months later...

As a side-note, I love using the virtual console .wads that were available on the wii shop, I feel like they run better and are easier to set up thanks to Dolphin.
In a way I'm technically emulating a console emulating another console lol.