Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

IYO The Best Arcade Cabinet Control Layout

r1pilot

For me a 2 player, and 8 button dual 4. Not many (any?) game use that many buttons, but with that you have:

- a group of 6 buttons 3 over 3 for Street Fighter type games,

- a group of 4 in a row for Neo Geo games

- Any combo of two, or thre in a row, or 4 two over two for all others.

Would also like trackball and spinner, but maybe as a modular design and not sure if any games use thos in 2 player mode.

Not that many games I care for for more than 2 players (even though they are great, like TMNT, Simpsons, etc.)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks to me like most of the control layouts I have seen in this post are for fighting type games.  I have been building MAME type cabinets for some 20 years now about a dozen or so and back then there really wasnt much info on control layouts so I basically just went with my own design.  A couple years back I was given two professionally built arcade cabinets one standard type with 2 player, spinner, trackball, extra 4 way joystick and one with dual racing wheels flight stick, spinner and peddles . He was moving and the computers emulating the games was no longer working properly and with 40 inch standard tube type tv 's in them they were quite heavy to move so he gave them to me. I have since shaved about a foot off the back depth and added new controls, computers and monitors.  To get back on point the one thing I noticed about this similar fighting control style layout is that compared to my older cabinets the buttons are much closer together which I suppose is ideal for fighting type games but when I was playing a games like track and field made it much more difficult. I kept hitting the jump/throw button while running. I do not play that many fighting type games so this layout is not idea and I may change(spread apart the buttons) down the road. Anyways those building new cabs and configuring your controller layout may want to take this into consideration.

Archived