Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

DIY HyperSpin or GameEx Console

Circo

While I love my arcade cabs, I have been kicking around the idea of a custom gaming console of sorts. One that can double as a media center pc (Hulu!) and allow me to have some classic gaming madness on my 42" Flat Screen. So as I sit here waiting for my mame set to update to .139 so I can get back to cranking out some more vids...seemed a great time to piece together a quick system on newegg. Here is what I came up with:

Pixxo CI-8102H Black MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case w/ Card Reader 450W Power Supply - $29.99

16.34" x 3.74" x 11.22"

CI-8102.jpg

Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540 - $124.99

intel%20i3.jpg

Galaxy 96GFF6HVDCXX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - $79.99 (After rebate)

DH96GFF6HVDCXX.jpg

EVGA P55V 120-LF-E651-TR LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $69.99 (After rebate)

13-188-064-02.jpg

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT - $81.99

image_big.php?produkt=59581%20

HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 (0F10311) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $129.99

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk SATA Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - OEM - $79.99

In total this system would come out to $596.93 and would make a cheap but extremely functional media/gaming center perfect for use with any of the major front-ends. And no crappy atom proc in this baby. Also worth noting you could upgrade to an i5 (+$50) or i7 and I was even torn over a usb 3 mobo. Needless to say very customizable, but i was going for bang for the buck here.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I just found a GTS 250 low profile card for $114 that should let you run about anything.

SPARKLE SXS2501024D3L-NM GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Circo: nice to see you putting together a shopping list, will come in handy for one I want to put together soon.

One thing that has really bugged me for the longest time is video judder on x264 playback. I've read countless guides and see many people striving to get their media center working properly as well. On htmpc forums people talk about tweaking to a 23.976 hz refresh rate, but the last two video cards I've had are locked out from Powerstrip. With nvidia's control panel I can do 25hz (which is still bad and the video jerks on panning shots on both my plasma tv and 60hz lcd) From what I understand ati is more configurable when it comes to media centers for tweaking to film frame rate ?

Would love to see what you eventually come up with.

Circo: nice to see you putting together a shopping list, will come in handy for one I want to put together soon.

One thing that has really bugged me for the longest time is video judder on x264 playback. I've read countless guides and see many people striving to get their media center working properly as well. On htmpc forums people talk about tweaking to a 23.976 hz refresh rate, but the last two video cards I've had are locked out from Powerstrip. With nvidia's control panel I can do 25hz (which is still bad and the video jerks on panning shots on both my plasma tv and 60hz lcd) From what I understand ati is more configurable when it comes to media centers for tweaking to film frame rate ?

Would love to see what you eventually come up with.

This is more of just an exercise and playing around with an idea. I may put one of these together in the near future. I am interested in what you guys think your best build of an Emulation Console. I love my xbox 360 but this would be so much cooler :)

I think your exactly right on the ATI being a bit more configurable.

I found this article on low profile video cards. I am thinking the ati 5570 provides a nice balance of speed/heat/noise.

Well I own a Thermaltake Mozart and the build quality sucks...can't speak to the quality of the one you are looking at...but I'd be leery.

Maybe checkout some of the cases made by Zalman.

HD160XTPlus_01_b.jpg

Review

Course if you are going to go balls out...then Origen are the folks to talk to.

OrigenAE-S21T-interior.jpg

Review

I think they can be had for $750 these days.

However in my experience thus far with HTPC's...I don't find myself wanting or needing a touch screen...everything is done via remote or wireless keyboard. So in that context I'd actually recommend a HTPC case from Lian-Li which you would likely get the best build quality and be spending a hell of a lot less on what amounts to useless bling.

If you absolutely must have a touch screen...then how about one that might actually get used: Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal

15600.png

Course I'd actually suggest a more tame remote: Logitech Harmony One Advanced Remote Control

14668.png

Course a keyboard should always be handy: Logitech diNovo Mini Black 63 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard

14495.png

Also if you are not looking at buying a half height case...then I'd actually suggest a ATI 5670 is quite and fast as hell...it's at least twice the card of that nVidia 9600 you were looking at.

top.jpg

Review

Anyways some of my thoughts and recommendations...hehe probably not wanting my shopping list. :)

That is more along the lines of what I would love to build, and if I did they would probably be crazy i7 boxes :)

But i'm still sorta stuck on the idea of a well balanced affordable "console type" pc. I wouldn't think the build quality of a $30 case would be fantastic, but this wouldn't be a box I would expect someone to be in and out of much.

I am a huge fan of the logitech remotes!

Here is another small case that might do the trick.

DimensionsHeight3.9"Width17"Depth16.3"

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 1080P Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

11-204-040-02.jpg

Archived