Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Scumm VM

Circo

Alright, I finished the last game snap tonight and added it to the FTP. Tomorrow if I get time I'll knock out a bit of the titles. Sorry this has been a long process this far.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I finished the last game snap tonight and added it to the FTP. Tomorrow if I get time I'll knock out a bit of the titles. Sorry this has been a long process this far.

hey, I started to mess with some of the clips last night, and I am having some trouble with them. when I open them with Vdub (or any other program for that matter), they are black and white and have large "scanlines". They seem to play just fine in media player, but I cannot seem to edit them. I also noticed that they were recorded at 10 frames per second, is that gonna be OK? If someone else could test these clips for me so I can see if it is just an issue on my end, I would really appreciate it!

hey, I started to mess with some of the clips last night, and I am having some trouble with them. when I open them with Vdub (or any other program for that matter), they are black and white and have large "scanlines". They seem to play just fine in media player, but I cannot seem to edit them. I also noticed that they were recorded at 10 frames per second, is that gonna be OK? If someone else could test these clips for me so I can see if it is just an issue on my end, I would really appreciate it!

So what's the verdict here, are they no good? I can scrap these and start over again. I guess I didn't realize it was at 10fps.

So what's the verdict here, are they no good? I can scrap these and start over again. I guess I didn't realize it was at 10fps.

I hope you don't have to scrap them! that would be alot of work! My PC for editing should be back up and running today, so I can play around some more with it, maybe I can figure it out. They show 10fps when you look at the details, I am not sure if that is correct though. Your file sizes do seem a little low to me, but I am no expert.

Yeah, they are at 10 fps. The sound is also 22050 hz mono. I don't know how the original source is though I doubt that all games run at 10 fps.... they look excellent otherwise.

Yeah I can upload whatever. If need be, I can capture a few at a more pleasant fps and see if it looks any better. These old games where mono sound mostly so I really don't think we'll be getting Dolby Digital from them! :)

Can you upload one of your source files, that way we can see if its an encoding issue

I think the ones on the FTP are the actual source files, since they're in TSCC.

These old games where mono sound mostly so I really don't think we'll be getting Dolby Digital from them! :)

Well, many old PC games where actually in stereo, but if you got stereo depended on how good your sound card was.

What program did you use to capture the video initially?

I used Camtasia since Fraps won't capture Scumm. Idk wtf is causing those nasty scanlines on your end loppy.

I used Camtasia since Fraps won't capture Scumm. Idk wtf is causing those nasty scanlines on your end loppy.

What res did you capture at 10 is very low for camtasia.

here is a pic of what I see when I open the videos to edit:

Day.png

it looks this way if I save it to an AVI as well. Not all files are like this, some are fine.

I would bet my right arm that that's because you have a video resolution that's something like 639x436 (The ones I downloaded had that). For best comatibility use a resolution where the numbers are a power of 16. Absolutely never use an odd number. Some codecs/video formats can't cope with arbitrary resolutions.

I would bet my right arm that that's because you have a video resolution that's something like 639x436 (The ones I downloaded had that). For best comatibility use a resolution where the numbers are a power of 16. Absolutely never use an odd number. Some codecs/video formats can't cope with arbitrary resolutions.

man.....I wanted your left arm! lol. Has anyone else tried to open any of these file with VDUB? I am still trying to figure out if it is a problem on my end or with the videos them selves. It is very strange that they open and play fine in Windows media player.....would that mean it has something to do with codecs?

Yeah, either you don't have/have an incorrect TSCC codec or the video resolution isn't nice as previously stated.

thanks blazer, you helped me figure out my problem. I did not realize I needed Camtasia on my editing computer.....that is untill I looked up what "TSCC" stood for. Wow i'm a bonehead, installed the program, and now it looks all good! I dont see any title clips on the FTP, how is that part coming along? As far as the quality, I really believe the clips will turn out fine, and unless someone objects, I will start processing them.

thanks blazer, you helped me figure out my problem. I did not realize I needed Camtasia on my editing computer.....that is untill I looked up what "TSCC" stood for. Wow i'm a bonehead, installed the program, and now it looks all good! I dont see any title clips on the FTP, how is that part coming along? As far as the quality, I really believe the clips will turn out fine, and unless someone objects, I will start processing them.

Pheeewww.... I'm glad they look better now for you. I started the titles but when the quality issue came up, I halted it. LOL! I will continue when I get home.

hey Celly just thought I would let you know that I have all your in game snaps processed, and I am ready for the titles. I not trying to rush you, just wanted to let you know.

It's cool loppyD, I added what I have to the FTP right now. Also, I upped the fps to 30 on the titles, meaning I deleted all the 25 I had done already and resnaped them. There is about 5 or 6 done as of right now. I'll get to these as I can periodically this week as fall semester just started (on Monday) and being on call hinders me too. Again, sorry this is taking so long.

It's cool loppyD, I added what I have to the FTP right now. Also, I upped the fps to 30 on the titles, meaning I deleted all the 25 I had done already and resnaped them. There is about 5 or 6 done as of right now. I'll get to these as I can periodically this week as fall semester just started (on Monday) and being on call hinders me too. Again, sorry this is taking so long.

thats cool i'll work on the ones you have done....its too bad you erased the 25 you already had, as being titles im sure they were fine. If you still have them you could upload those if you want. After working on the videos, they seem like they will be nice when they are finished.

*edit*

I have noticed with these scumm games dont not usually have great titles that last very long. I am trying to figure out how I should go about editng these. Some videos have audio in the background that might be kinda distracting. There are a couple options I can think of. I could just take out the audio and make the titles silent. I could find the best still image and make it last on screen for 5-7 seconds. Or I could just find the best clip I can and just go for it. It is no fault of Celly, these scumm games just dont have have the typical "push start to play" title screens. If you wanna see an example of what we have to work with check out the WIP folder of celly under "finished 10 sec titles"......thanks again Celly!

I went ahead and put a sample video on the ftp. In this sample I used a still screen for the title. Let me know what you guys think. the sample video is called bargon.zip and is in celly's folder listed above....I hope nobody minds. If we decide to go this route, all we need is to capture a nice still image of the title. That should make things alot easier.

Loppy I added a dozen or so more to the WIP folder. I got the Bargon.zip, looks great!

do you think that the "still image" for the title will be OK? I suppose I could just do them, and If they are not good enough I could just redo them. :)

Archived