Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

New GBA set

DJoneK

I truly believe the GBA set needs a major rework.  I really really want to start such a project and share it, but its so long and tedious I dunno if I'll have the time and willpower to finish it lol.  So many good gems in there and they deserve to be video snapped as best as possible.  Emulators run very good afaik so it should be fairly simple to do.

I might start making at least the (USA) titles soon, so be on the lookout for them. :D

Unless such a project already started and I dont know about, in which case, let me know :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I did some tests and came to the conclusion that the best way to go about it is using TSCC/PCM and capturing at original resolution.  That means 240x160 IIRC.  Yea, that sounds bad, but the end result will be the same as using a 2x or 3x magnification without filters.

If you run them on your PC with dumb decoders they will appear blury and ugly when stretched (bilinear filtering probably), but I loaded them up on virtualdub and did a resize to 720x480 (3x magnification using nearest neighbor), and they appear exactly as if I captured them at 720x480 straight from the emu.  The good thing is that by capturing and prepping them using TSCC/PCM, they keep the original quality AND keeps the filesize drastically low.  So far, for the first couple of games, biggest file has been ~30mb.  When I tried 720x480 (3x on emulator), TSCC encoded files were sometimes in the 200mb region.

So yea, hopefully it's not much of a hassle to make 480p and 240p videos from these.  Should only require a stretch using nearest neighbor.  No bilinear or cubic or lanczos or whatever.

I have no problem with that however one thing I will be adding whenever I get around to doing a new guide is replacing tscc with VFW X264 Codec http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

If you edit to the correct size and encode in lossless with Virtual Dub it should be smaller than tscc.  Make sure to upload 30 sec gameplay vids and 7-10 second title vids.  Naming should be

gamename t  (7-10s)

gamename g (30s)

in cases of multiple gameplay clips add a second to each one and add clip number next to the g 

gamename t (7-10s)

gamename g1 (16s)

gamename g2 (16s)

or

gamename t (7-10s)

gamename g1 (11s)

gamename g2 (11s)

gamename g3 (11s)

• 2 weeks later...

I started uploading some videos to the FTP.  I'll be uploading as I go.  My plan is to do 10-20 games a day.  Should take me around 8 weeks at this pace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im kinda taking a short vacation ATM lol.  Only have 134 more games, and then probably redo some of the early ones with multiple games.  I started making G1, G2, G3, etc, if they have more than 1 game.  The early 2 pack games don't follow that guideline so those will need a redo.

Hasn't been easy getting these done since a lot of these have really long intros and/or tutorials, and I usually don't like capturing any of those.  I try to get over to the gameplay part to capture that.  Will probably finish up the remaining 134 in the next week or so.

I have no problem with that however one thing I will be adding whenever I get around to doing a new guide is replacing tscc with VFW X264 Codec http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

If you edit to the correct size and encode in lossless with Virtual Dub it should be smaller than tscc.  Make sure to upload 30 sec gameplay vids and 7-10 second title vids.  Naming should be

This is new standard?

I hope not for lower end systems, since on the tests I did tscc outperformed vfwx264 lossless on color quality, more noticeable on the red colors.  Size difference on these lower end systems is not really drastic anyway.  Dunno about the higher end ones like PS2 and Gamecube.

• 1 month later...

DJoneK,

I got the remainder processed that I found on the FTP.  Do you have anymore to do or should I go ahead and finalize this?

EDIT: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 video was corrupt.  Can you possibly check and re upload?  Thanks

I've been redoing the gameplay vids of some of the early 2in1 games, to include both games, or the 3in1 to include the 3 games, etc..  Title vids may remain the same.

I'll see if I can reupload my Tony Hawk 4 vid as well.  Mine seems ok.

So you might wanna wait until those are done (should be done soonish).

Yay! I'm done with this set :P

Uploaded the redone 2-in-1/3in1 etc videos to the FTP yesterday.  Also, noticed you are missing "Polly Pocket! - Super Splash Island (USA) (Destination Software)"

You have "Polly Pocket! - Super Splash Island (USA) (Vivendi)", but that one should actually be "Polly Pocket! - Super Splash Island (USA) (Destination Software)".  The real "Vivendi" one has a different title screen with the Super Splash Island on it.  Other than that, the games seem the same.  Thought I would point it out just in case.

I did that to be compliant with the hyperlist naming for hypersync, other than that the downloader will auto rename it to whatever rom name the end user has.  

Of course I have a list :)

I'll try to send it to you tonight. Already? Damn they are fast, I'll work a bit in the db tonight to see if I can catch up.

Archived