Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Sega Naomi, Naomi2, Atomiswave

Circo

In between other projects I have been working on the Naomi, Naomi 2 and Atomiswave video snaps. I thought I had done a pretty good job and released the atomiswave set. However, after stubling across some other videos on youtube, it seems that the emulation is actually much better than I thought. After tweaking some settings it's back to the drawing board. So I will be replacing that set shortly as well as the old naomi set. This next update will be much larger.

Anyone interested in this?

Well I wrote a automation package a while back that converts from Mame 0.131 to really any other Naomi emu format. [Linky]

I haven't updated the INI that's in the package to support newer builds of Mame but the end user can certainly update and share such an INI. :D

That said the Naomi Cart games are generally useless outside of the Demul, since decryption of those files are not currently done by the package currently.

How ever the latest Demul builds will run Makaron style roms, and now with the latest Makaron it'll run Demul style roms.

Well I wrote a automation package a while back that converts from Mame 0.131 to really any other Naomi emu format. [Linky]

I haven't updated the INI that's in the package to support newer builds of Mame but the end user can certainly update and share such an INI. :D

That said the Naomi Cart games are generally useless outside of the Demul, since decryption of those files are not currently done by the package currently.

How ever the latest Demul builds will run Makaron style roms, and now with the latest Makaron it'll run Demul style roms.

Awesome, I will try to look at that tonight! thanks Nologic!

No problem...just set it up to run before bed and then watch it for a sec to see that its doing the "right thing" which generally it does....there are some corner cases that there can be problems...but most things have been addressed...so unless you are trying to make it fail...it should work flawless.

• 2 months later...

Hello every one, first post here.

@ Nologic,

Im looking into updating the ini's to 137 and 138.

from the chd.ini, i understand this info,

[GDL-0025]

N_L=Chaos Field

N_S=cfield

KEY=F81CD6DA4A19EF68

SYS=Naomi 1

sorry for being dumb but in the "rom.ini",

what is "par" and "con" ?

are rom00, rom01, etc , your designations (just a numerical seqence?) or a code to be striclty adhered to?

[capsnk]

N_L=Capcom Vs. SNK Millennium Fight 2000

N_S=capsnk

PAR=

CON=No

rom00=epr-23511a.ic22

rom01=.ic1

rom02=.ic2

rom03=.ic3

rom04=.ic4

rom05=.ic5

rom06=.ic6

rom07=.ic7

rom08=.ic8

rom09=.ic9

rom10=.ic10

rom11=.ic11

rom12=.ic12

rom13=.ic13

• 2 months later...

I just looked at what I have for Naomi, I have 61 captures, I will edit them up and post in my WIP folder as soon as I can get them edited (a day or two) you guys let me know what you think and I will consider finishing the set. I used Demul to make these vids and I have since heard that makaron is the way to go. But the last few months have been so busy that I haven't had time to get makaron working with the images I have or really figure that part out.

Life seems to be slowing and I am dying to get my production up. I'll post here with an update shortly

Going through them I think the biggest issue is quality sound, if there is a makaron guru out there hit me up over pm. But I am moving forward with the edits on these for the time being.

great to see this is being done, I was going to do my own.. but got stuck when guilty gear x wouldn't launch. I don't think the popping was quite as bad on the vids I have. I'll upload one later so you can check it out.

-SS

Here's a video I created for Border Down, it's in Avi format and 1 minute (longer than your usual vids). Also, is it normal for the flv vids to loose so much quality? I used the method you have in your quick guide to convert them. The avi version of this vid looks much nicer and the colors look great.

Border Down Avi Video

Circo -

Oh I might qualify to some degree as a guru for Makaron...only wrote a loader, miniFE and converter for it...course chillinwater should fair rather well in that area as well.

shateredsoul -

I'm downloading your sample now...but judging off the size alone you are using one hell of a bitrate...probably well in excess of what is typically used for VP6 encodes...or anything else for that matter.

Most encodes are between 10mb & 20mb...I get around 14mb for Naomi\DC encodes at near lossless quality for 640x480 60fps, h264 & AAC encodes (MP4).

*Update*

ahh okay I see why its so huge...PCM for audio...really should use AAC or Vorbis for the audio stream or at least MP3.

pcm for audio? How do I change that? I just followed the guide that circo posted.. maybe i missed something

I didn't change any audio setting in virtualdub, maybe that's the issue? I also didn't go through the step where the audio was standardized across all vids since this was only a test.

Well first guess was wrong...going from PCM to AAC 192k brought it down from 72mb to 63mb.

However re-encoding to H264 & AAC brought it down to 13mb...and quality is a little less given its a re-encode rather than straight from lossless source.

[Linky]

Circo -

Oh I might qualify to some degree as a guru for Makaron...only wrote a loader, miniFE and converter for it...course chillinwater should fair rather well in that area as well.

shateredsoul -

I'm downloading your sample now...but judging off the size alone you are using one hell of a bitrate...probably well in excess of what is typically used for VP6 encodes...or anything else for that matter.

Most encodes are between 10mb & 20mb...I get around 14mb for Naomi\DC encodes at near lossless quality for 640x480 60fps, h264 & AAC encodes (MP4).

*Update*

ahh okay I see why its so huge...PCM for audio...really should use AAC or Vorbis for the audio stream or at least MP3.

I need some help with Makaron, I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

I made more progress on the current set. I will up the bitrate in the next batch a little and see if I can meet in the middle. I had a discussion with BadBoyBill from Hyperspin the other day and he said he suggested sticking with flv, though hyperspin supports F4V, there are some more options with the FLV's and it was worth the slightly larger filesize. So I will continue to use the FLV format for the time being.

Actually I think the original sample may have been still in a lossless codec given its size...I think the FourCC tag was simply altered and thats it.

I'm not sure what advantages could be had with FLV over F4V from a programming stand point...but okay...however file size will typically be nearly 50% larger for the same quality that can be had by using the standard encoders for MP4(F4V).

It would be nice to have just one type of asset encode...

However right now times are rather turbulent given that Google has released the VP8 spec & source which is looking rather good...right now it creates assets of the same quality for around the same size as H264...however as I understand it, base CPU playback is actually faster on VP8....GPU assisted has yet to come to light...so in that respect H264 is still ahead of the pack.

Well not going to bore folks with odd bits of info...I still have a fair amount of research yet to do...and things are still moving fast on VP8...so maybe in time I'll be pimping that as the next best thing.

Actually I think the original sample may have been still in a lossless codec given its size...I think the FourCC tag was simply altered and thats it.

I'm not sure what advantages could be had with FLV over F4V from a programming stand point...but okay...however file size will typically be nearly 50% larger for the same quality that can be had by using the standard encoders for MP4(F4V).

It would be nice to have just one type of asset encode...

However right now times are rather turbulent given that Google has released the VP8 spec & source which is looking rather good...right now it creates assets of the same quality for around the same size as H264...however as I understand it, base CPU playback is actually faster on VP8....GPU assisted has yet to come to light...so in that respect H264 is still ahead of the pack.

Well not going to bore folks with odd bits of info...I still have a fair amount of research yet to do...and things are still moving fast on VP8...so maybe in time I'll be pimping that as the next best thing.

As far as I know the thing with the FLV's is how hyperspin can "animate" and "manipulate" the videos in various themes.

Archived