Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

[OLD] Video Snap Creation Guide

Circo

• 1 month later...
Guest kenshin1

I already have a ton these I did for a website, might be worth adding to here and save some time.

I've done just about every system, some tips for this that might help:

xvid isn't the best codec to use for capture, try using mpg2, keep in mind what goes in will affect the final clip.

320x240 with a high bitrate 3 mb+ for a start, once you get thru editing it and are ready for the final encode you can drop it back to around 1 mb to save space.

Audio should be 128 kb/s in stereo, granted some of the emu's can't muster this, but it is best all around setting.

What I use to do mine:

Stand-alone capture card for my captures, works better than just a software capture.

TMPGEnc for demuxing and rough editing

Nero Vision - for applying fades, wipes, etc.

Sorenson Spark Pro for final encoding to either flv or mp4

Adobe CS4 Flash Pro - if I'm creating a player for the specific video.

• 3 months later...

Hi, this is my first post here, I have a question regarding volume normalization. From what I understood reading the AVI_GAIN_LOSSLESS.BAT posted earlier in this thread you're using mp3gain to calculate the replaygain value then you're adding 1dB to it, is it correct?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm doing my own flv using different codecs (x264 + aac), and I would like my audio volume to be consistant with EmuMovies sets.

Thanks in advance for your response and your work on this site.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if anyone knows if the best open-source alternatives to the recommended software. I would like to contribute but I cannot afford to purchase all the software recommended in the how-to. I know there are many great video editing tools for Linux. Just curious if anyone has taken a stab at this yet. If not maybe I'll take a shot at it and compile a list once I get done with my cabinet fabrication.

Galsia -

You can use more or less the same bat file with AACGain.

strungoutfan78 -

I haven't really looked into open-source options much...but you should be able to get by with VirtualDub &/or AviDemux...just take some tinkering.

The most comprehensive list of tools that I'm aware of can be found at:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools

• 1 month later...

what's the best way to capture demul (nintendo ds emulator)? Fraps doesn't capture it

Also, is there a way to get fraps to work with ps2? it works.. but the quality of the emulation worsens graphically in addition to the typical slowdown.

I'm using an i7 cpu and I notice that when I use fraps all 8 threads (4 cores each with 2 threads.. for hyperthreading) aren't used. Is there a way to get fraps to use more cores? or to use a different core than the emulator?

Demul is a Dreamcast emulator...as if Fraps isn't grabbing it then try:

Camtasia

CamStudio

HyperCam

If you are using Win7 I believe you can set the core that a process is ran on...that will likely solve your problem. It may also work in Vista...not sure thou...as I run WinXP.

I had pretty good luck with demul and my I7 on Win7. But I still get the best results using a two computer process through HDMI.

I had pretty good luck with demul and my I7 on Win7. But I still get the best results using a two computer process through HDMI.

Are there any other programs that let you do the fade in and out effect? I wonder if there's a plugin for virtual dub

shateredsoul -

There are lots of programs that do that...actually to many to list.

You can try my freeware tool chain that does a cross-fade\dissolve...it'll actually do a fair amount of work for you...just make two edits...give them the required names and let the tool chain do the rest.

[Linky]

Granted its gone thus far unused...I'll be making one last update to it...as I'll be moving from using Mencoder to ffmpeg...after that I'm letting it bit-rot since there is no interest.

• 1 month later...

I have been playing around with the new version of corel VideoStudio(Pro X3), and I was hoping someone could help me a bit. So far the new version is a huge improvement for me because this version allows me to save to FLV directly (old version would ALWAYS crash). I am able to record screen captures, use virtualdub to cut them into 2 pieces, at the same time encode the audio into MP3 format, then use AVI gain, then plug it all into video studio with transitions and all. I like this method better because at this point I can convert directly to FLV and AVI, and the FLV look much better I think. Now my problem....in the old version I could follow this guide to save to AVI with XVID compression, the new version appears to be much different in this area. I dont even see and XVID option, and the compression options I have tried turn out with a huge file size. Does anyone know the correct options in this new version for AVI's? Thanks!

I have been playing around with the new version of corel VideoStudio(Pro X3), and I was hoping someone could help me a bit. So far the new version is a huge improvement for me because this version allows me to save to FLV directly (old version would ALWAYS crash). I am able to record screen captures, use virtualdub to cut them into 2 pieces, at the same time encode the audio into MP3 format, then use AVI gain, then plug it all into video studio with transitions and all. I like this method better because at this point I can convert directly to FLV and AVI, and the FLV look much better I think. Now my problem....in the old version I could follow this guide to save to AVI with XVID compression, the new version appears to be much different in this area. I dont even see and XVID option, and the compression options I have tried turn out with a huge file size. Does anyone know the correct options in this new version for AVI's? Thanks!

I just batch encode after the fact, im saving out of video studio with tscc now and then batch encoding my avi's with vdub and flvs with flash encoder cs3. I'm going to go grab the new version of video studio and check it out.

I just batch encode after the fact, im saving out of video studio with tscc now and then batch encoding my avi's with vdub and flvs with flash encoder cs3. I'm going to go grab the new version of video studio and check it out.

Thanks circo, adobe media encoder is out of the question for me. When I try to use it I get wiered artifacts and stutter, I am not sure why. With the new version Here are the options I see for AVI compression:

1 None

2 dv video encoder type 1

3 dv video encoder type 2

4 MJPEG compressor

so I dont even see an option for tscc. Anyway, I look forward to hearing your opinion of the new version.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm interested in recording and contributing some video snaps for the TI994/A but this tutorial seems dated and links to photos etc are broken.  It shows how to record and process to get an FLV but all the video snaps are now MPEG4 correct?  Is there a newer tutorial or different tutorial for creating MPEG 4 snaps?

You would need to upload as avi and Circo will use as masters and convert. Needs title & gamplay capture.

Gamename-T.avi

Gamename-G.avi

There's a decent batch converter called "handbrake" if you want to convert to mp4 fast for your own use after you capture.

Thanks, I already generated some video's in MP4 and put them in my FTP folder but will go back and submit the original files and titles.  I'm still going to post the MP4's that I create though.  Been discussing the TI over on the Hyper board.  Hopefully things can get worked out for an official database for the TI.  Tough to give an accurate game name without that.

Archived