Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

How not to download duplicates from FTP

Guest Donkey Kong

Guest Donkey Kong

Hey,

I've been using Filezilla for the past few weeks to download the entire contents of the FTP- everything was going great, but yesterday my computer suffered a "serious error" and rebooted itself.

Now when I open up Filezilla my download queue is empty and I have no idea of where my downloads left off at. (If that makes sense)

Over the course of the past few weeks, every time I shut down filezilla and then opened it back up my download queue was exactly the same size as when I left it, but now it's at 0 and I have no idea how to resume downloading the entire FTP at the point I last left it.

Bascially, I don't want to download duplicates of any files I already have.

How would I go about getting my queue back to the place it was before my computer rebooted? I only had 18 or so gigs left to download.

Any help would be fantastic, thanks a lot.

Have you tried to down load a file to a location where that file already exists?

All FTP programs must have a catch for when the file exists in the location to be saved so really just look for a program taht skips the file if it exists.

Actually you might be surprised with the one your using now.

OK I did the same thing with Filezilla I restarted machine and lost the que must have been the forced shutdown doesnt allow it to save.

So I started again selecting all files and on the first duplicate it asks what to do. I simply selected skip and do this for all.

Yes it will take longer to check and probly gunna hammer the server thousands of times but the sets will be complete.....

• 2 weeks later...

Actually "if exists" is not the right comparison as a file maybe partly downloaded...and while this maybe limited to only one file...it could potentially apply to thousands depending on what went wrong with the system or the network (lan & wan).

A better comparison would be file size, which all ftp clients should support.

You should be able to resume.. but this is a problem with FTP.. I think there are better ways of dealing with this.. hopefully we can work on something thats better.. but until then, resume.. In FlashFXP you get to keep your list of downloads and resume not sure what Filezilla is like.

When filezilla fids a file that already exists it prompts you, resume is one of the functions. TYpically I tell it to replace if file size is different. That way it just updates the changed files.

Archived