Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

How old were you when you first started gaming and what was it?

dmb062082

The first system that sold me was the NES in 1987, I was going on six and Mario was crack, but I can recall playing 2600 a year or two earlier at my grandmothers camp and aunts basement... break out for the win~

There was an Atari in the house since 1979 but I was only 5...

Got the Atari Space Invader bundle for xmas 1982.

Always had a system since.

SEGA!

There was an Atari in the house since 1979 but I was only 5...

Got the Atari Space Invader bundle for xmas 1982.

Always had a system since.

SEGA!

I got a 2600 in 80 i believe, the darth vader model. Played the crap out of pitfall and asteroids. But my true love was my Commodore 64. I got hooked on all kinds of games, but have fond memories of the EA (record box) games like legacy of the ancients, bards tale and racing construction set.

Legacy_of_the_Ancients.jpg

I was maybe around 7 or so, and my family purchased a used C-64. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I loved Giana Sisters and Maniac Mansion.

I really started getting into gaming when my older sister got a brand new 286. That thing was FAST when compared to the C-64. No more 5-10 minute load times... Most of the good games back then were adventure games. The King's Quest series was my favorite, that is...until Monkey Island came out. I was so hooked on all of the LucasArts adventure games. The game I spent the most time on as a child was Might and Magic I. It was a blast in all of its black & white glory. I actually never beat that game, but I put well over a year into it. I was young, and had no idea what I was doing, but I loved it. The first arcade games I really went crazy over were Buster Bros. and TMNT. Both of those were in a shop near my house. Simpsons arcade game was also a blast. That brought back a good memory or two.

Guest thepriest

I was around the age of 6 when i got a C64 with power card. for my birthday with a box full of copied games ( c64 used to be my bro's he's 10 year older then i'm)

and a few orginals ( like outrun )

but i remember one of the first few games i played on it was giana sisters ,wings of fury and decathlon (Who doesn't know it :dash2: )

great-giana-sisters.jpgwings%20of%20fury.png

• 2 weeks later...

gamin' since 1976(i was 4) thanks to the telegames pong console my parents bought at sears. Havent stopped gaming since. Dont know if I'll ever stop, its just harder to make time it seems unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

I got Atari 2600 in 85-86 (can't remember) and played pitfall and phoenix (galaga type game) and a bunch of preloaded games it had. After that NES and super mario, zelda, castlevania - the usual. Parallel to that ZX Spectrum and F-15 strike eagle on it. Cousin had a c64 which we played a lot. Bunch of arcade games, mostly toaplan and SEGA boards (Thunder Blade, After Burner, Golden Axe...). I got a master system and genesis and then snes... And AMIGA, of course.

I was 10 when I played my first arcade game...but serious gaming commenced at age 13 when I discovered computers. The first computer I "knew" (sounds kind of kinky) was the CBM PET. After playing a few games on it I was shown the "code" for the game, and realized that I could MAKE games myself. I became a programmer/hacker/gamer rolled into one. Ah the good times...

commodore_pet4032_1.jpg

The Atari 7800 was the first system I owned, always wanted a Nintendo. My Tandy 1000 was the first computer I played games on. I loved the Tandy and played it for years.

No way! We had a Tandy 1000 as our first real computer, and I freaking loved it. I found of few of the roms and play Touchdown football still from time to time.

I grew up with video games in our house. Atari 2600 was it! Then NES came out and we were always a system behind. Not until we got a decent computer (for the 80's) did I find my true calling, Sierra adventure games. Kings Quest, Kings Quest III and Black Cauldren, 3.5" floppy disc. Man, those were the days....

black-cauldron.jpg

4c73e7ba29776_featured_without_text_KingsQuest3_PBig.jpg

The first arcade game i remember playing was Moon Patrol (I was probably around 10 years old)

mpatrolw.png

My dad was a university professor and wanted a PC for word processing. He came home with this monstrous "portable" PC:

220px-IBM-portable-PC-01.jpg

It had a tiny monochrome amber screen but i recall playing some sort of game that launched boxes from one side of the screen to the other and you needed to stack them into towers without them falling over. This was not the PC for my dad. it lasted about a week.

Then we got an Apple IIe

250px-Apple_IIe.jpg

This was great! I taped together many pieces of paper drawing maps for "Apple Adventure", we played lots of Choplifter.

My first true video game obsession was Wizardry!

Wizardry1.png

My friend and I spent countless evenings playing this game at our own houses. We called each other on the phone and would describe the dungeons to each other. We'd both be playing the same maps and exploring them at the same time. We'd have to wait for each other when random enemy encounters held one of us up.

It's been a long ride from there...

Windows 3.1 (Doom and Wolfenstein 3D)

Windows 95 (Duke Nukem 3D and my first entry into MMORPGs : Diku M.U.D.)

SNES (Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World)

Playstation (Gran Tourismo, Silent Hill)

Playstation 2 (SOCOM online and Final Fantasy XI online)

Playstation 3 (Motorstorm, Warhawk and MAG)

... and now my MAME cabinet is almost complete and i can go back to standing up at an arcade machine playing Moon Patrol :blush:

Archived