Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Making DS Video Snaps

uberpubert69

This is the XML I have from the wheels project that I never really started on lol.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7004074/Nintendo%20DS.xml

None of the info is really filled out yet but this is pretty complete, I have the full rom set to match it too  Some newer games and Japanese titles may need to be added but this does include all the translated games I recorded plus all those ugly language tags are removed. So I'd base your spreadsheet off this so people don't name their vids wrong. Maybe remove the lang tags from the current set too.

I agree with Brolly though, after recording a bunch of beauty salon and horse grooming games, DS is full of shovelware and crap. Even worse than Game Boy Advance. Must be cheap to produce games for handhelds like this.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the best XML so far, there should be quite a few missing games though. Considering games are still being released for DS more or less frequently and also there are several bad dumps that are being slowly replaced I'll probably give it a few more months before I tackle it.

I'd rather finish PS2 Japan and Wii first.

Circo, are we redoing the entire NDS set or adding missing games? It would appear many of these are missing the title sequence... might be better to just move forward with a complete refresh.

Well don't redo ALL of them lol. The ones I did recently should be fine and up to standard. I did notice a lot that needed fixing from the current set though. Not sure when I can help because I still need to do a bunch more N64 vids.

Well don't redo ALL of them lol. The ones I did recently should be fine and up to standard. I did notice a lot that needed fixing from the current set though. Not sure when I can help because I still need to do a bunch more N64 vids.

Yeah I noticed the more popular stuff tended to be better. but like 90% of what was auto downloaded for my games was just gameplay/intros but no titles. I'll be doing as much of them as I can.

If anybody is willing, can someone check out Alice in Wonderland for the DS? I think that game is hard to emulate and feels like its playing in slow mo for me and the sound is equally slow but I'm getting 60FPS. My video snap for that game might not be so great.

Desmume has a built in avi recorder that works beautifully.  Even if games dip below in frames, the recording will come out in full FPS.  Also, the resolution will be recorded in it's original DS resolution (I think anyway).  I believe this would be the best method to capture and upload to FTP, as long as the capture/filesize/quality method is acceptable.  I think I only had luck doing Xvid in very very high quality.  Wish it could capture to TSCC.

Anyway, I tried that Alice in Wonderland and it's crashing for me in the first few seconds after the title screen.  :(

The original DS resolution is only 256 × 192 so this wouldn't be acceptable for the videos. Actually I think a good portion of the current set was captured this way and then upscaled thus why the videos don't look particularly good.

Also I don't know what codec is used by the emulator, but most likely it's not lossless.

I have to agree with Brolly on this and say it's best to stick to the guidelines we already have established for NDS as using the on board .avi recorder will result in sub-par video quality with the amount of upscaling that will need to be done. We want to avoid having to redo these videos again going forward, especially with a set this large ;)

The original DS resolution is only 256 × 192 so this wouldn't be acceptable for the videos. Actually I think a good portion of the current set was captured this way and then upscaled thus why the videos don't look particularly good.

Also I don't know what codec is used by the emulator, but most likely it's not lossless.

I am recording according to how Circo instructed me to. The game is being recorded at 480x722 and converted in the same codec as 480x720. And I don't know what you mean by not looking good personally I think my captures are pretty crisp for DS. I'm also using a branch of DeSmuME that has internal upscaling up to 4x the DS' original resolution. I'd wait to hear what Circo has to say on it, because I've already made a lot of captures and it would be really crappy to have to redo them all. Most of these games are just god awful.

I can successfully run the emulator at the 2x internal resolution which is 512x384. So if I record like this there shouldn't be a problem, though I don't really see the problem with how I'm doing them now.

I wasn't talking about your captures, but the already existing ones.

Oh alright, I was really confused for a second there. Seemed everyone else was talking about my stuff. Yeah a lot of them seem to be longer than 30 seconds and aren't really packed with action; lots of walking around doing nothing. Thank god I'm doing mine right! lol

I feel really dumb after reading the last few posts over again. haha. but anyways just thought I'd mention that I have a list on my first post in this thread listing all the Video Snaps I've recorded so far. I'll keep it up to date as I go along. :)

I feel really dumb after reading the last few posts over again. haha. but anyways just thought I'd mention that I have a list on my first post in this thread listing all the Video Snaps I've recorded so far. I'll keep it up to date as I go along. :)

Don't feel dumb, I do goofy stuff like that all the time. Your contributing, and that's what counts! All I was saying is that a lot of the video sets here have been done more than once, so that's why we're trying to keep things uniform and stick to a standard going forward. It saves a lot of work in the long run if things are done right the first time. Your doing a fine job. Keep cranking them out! I had a very busy weekend with mother's day going on and such that I wasn't able to get much done. But I did check that Alice in Wonderland game and it's not working for me either so we can mark that as "unplayable" for now. I just realized I'm running an older version of the emu so I need to update to the latest.

When a game doesn't run properly in Desmume try it with No$GBA and see if that helps, I remember some games actually worked better with this emulator.

Don't feel dumb, I do goofy stuff like that all the time. Your contributing, and that's what counts! All I was saying is that a lot of the video sets here have been done more than once, so that's why we're trying to keep things uniform and stick to a standard going forward. It saves a lot of work in the long run if things are done right the first time. Your doing a fine job. Keep cranking them out! I had a very busy weekend with mother's day going on and such that I wasn't able to get much done. But I did check that Alice in Wonderland game and it's not working for me either so we can mark that as "unplayable" for now. I just realized I'm running an older version of the emu so I need to update to the latest.

Well I'm glad to be helping! Makes things get done quicker. :) Yeah I use the latest emulator builds (and branches of emulators) for all my stuff I possibly can, and I update pretty frequently. There's a site that compiles daily builds for like everything from github and stuff.

When a game doesn't run properly in Desmume try it with No$GBA and see if that helps, I remember some games actually worked better with this emulator.

I'll give it a shot! :) What happened with iDeaS? I remember using that way back and how crappy it was, has there been any improvement on that thing? Haven't messed with it since.

Honestly never used iDeaS, I remember downloading it, but don't think I ever tested any game on it. Everything I tried runs fine on either Desmume or No$GBA, granted I'm not a big fan of this system so didn't really try that many games.

I don't think it had any developments since a long time though.

Honestly never used iDeaS, I remember downloading it, but don't think I ever tested any game on it. Everything I tried runs fine on either Desmume or No$GBA, granted I'm not a big fan of this system so didn't really try that many games.

I don't think it had any developments since a long time though.

I've only been using DeSmuME for DS emulation, No$GBA is very unfamiliar to me. I tried a couple games on it and the sound emulation is pretty terrible so far. Speaking of which I tried making some video snaps of some more DS games using DeSmuME and found that some games that are too slow using opengl 3.2 and have crackly sound run infinitely better and sound better using SoftRasterizer and turning on the Dynamic Recompiler in Emulation Settings. Perhaps it would even make the Alice in Wonderland game playable and recordable. I'm gonna give a whack at it and share my results.

Archived