Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Command Line Questions for Stella

Guest BSebastian01

Guest BSebastian01

Hey all, not sure if this is an okay place to post this, but when I post at other established forums everyone growls. Thought I might get an answer here. Regarding Stella 3.0 (which is a fantastic emulator) and command line:

1. How do I get it to load Fullscreen?

(I tried all the configs I found on older forums for older stella versions, but I can't get it to work for this new version)

2. How do i get it to load with custom joystick mappings?

(When I command line this, the best I can get is default mappings)

So I've tried other command lines I've pulled from ini's, but cannot resolve these two issues. Anyone else messed with this stuff? Yes I know about MESS, but graphically there is NO comparison between MESS and this nice version of Stella.

Stella comes packaged with a Docs folder, inside it is a index.html file...this lists all available command line options, and gives you a template for how the command line should be structured.

1. Use the "-fullscreen 1" so should look something like so:

Stella.exe -fullscreen 1 ".\Roms\<Some Game>.a26"

2. By the looks of things you can't natively load custom joystick\gamepad bindings per game. That said you can write a loader that will write custom bindings to the stella.ini based on what game is being sent to the Emu.

Guest BSebastian01

Stella comes packaged with a Docs folder, inside it is a index.html file...this lists all available command line options, and gives you a template for how the command line should be structured.

1. Use the "-fullscreen 1" so should look something like so:

Stella.exe -fullscreen 1 ".\Roms\<Some Game>.a26"

2. By the looks of things you can't natively load custom joystick\gamepad bindings per game. That said you can write a loader that will write custom bindings to the stella.ini based on what game is being sent to the Emu.

Dude, thank you so much. I don't know much about this stuff but I keep muddling through. I'd found teh switches in the index.html, but I couldn't make them perform. turns out I was not entering my rom path correctly. A typo! Your answer helped me- i've been googling all day. This is what I ended up using: stella.exe -fullscreen 1 -uselauncher 0 "rompath\romfile.a26. It launches beautifully, nice high res, fullscreen. I'd mapped the defaults to my preferred keys inside the emulator itself- these loaded up beautifully as well. The uselauncher made it so exiting the rom, exited the app as well: perfect.

Next question then, anyone know why when I use that command line in GameEx, it will not load fullscreen and I cannot use my joy mappings, but only the default of stella?

Guest BSebastian01

Well GameEx has a support forum, I'd suggest you use it. I go out of my way not to aid that FE or its users these days.

Take care

Hmm. That's funny. You don't aid GameEx users? You already aided one! I hope I haven't ruined a perfect record for you. Since you say you 'go out of your way' not to aid GameEx users, I would assume you have some sort of litmus you perform, just to make sure you don't inadvertantly assist a GameEx user. You need a better test kit man- count today as one of your failures. I know I didn't announce my FE preference, but I also didn't announce wether I was straight or gay either. After your warm response I searched you on the forum- you have animus towards GameEx or something don't you. Took you less than one day to start bashing the FE.

Since you were kind enough to give me a recommendation to post at the GameEx forums, allow me to reciprocate. There are many GameEx users. Armies. Legions, even. Perhaps someday there will even be a GameEx user in the White House. Imagine that! A GameEx user as President of the United States of America. I suggest you make your own forum like "AntiParticularFE.com" and have users self-determine their FE preference. Put the question right between "Sexual Orientation" and "Are you a self-righteous punk?" THAT way you can make certain you only respond to the posters that don't use your least favorite FE.

It's a good suggestion. I suggest you give it some serious consideration. Just think: A way you would NEVER inadvertantly assist a GameEx user. Today was a black day my friend, but you can take up the standard tomorrow and start anew.

if you help another one of us, it's possible your dark master will grow angry and focus his wrath on you. I can just see you, head down in shame as you slink up to the board and write "I will not help GameEx users" 50 times on the chalkboard.

Classic simple minded twit response.

Hey Nologic- I suggest you relax a bit. You have a reputation in the scene for being petulant and negative. Regardless, I respect your work on the NullDC loader among other things and feel you could be a valuable member to have on the forums. That said, EmuMovies.com has a high-level of respect for MANY front-ends and partners with a variety of FEs, GameEx being one of them. A certain level of friendly humor can be levied towards one side or the other, but FE-bashing is NOT what we are about.

BSebastian01's response to your unsolicited spleen was quite insightful and made me laugh. I especially liked the "dark master-chalkboard" image he conjured up. When you spit on someone expect some sort of response. At least he didn't track you down and send something awful to your RL mailbox, like Hello Kitty postcards or something equally offensive.

The user stated he didn't want to post at other forums cause people tend to growl at a noob. And he got the atypical growl from you. This forum is dedicated to furthering the use and quality of game art, and a front-end question is as apropos here as it would be in the GameEx forum. It was a good suggestion: the GameEx forum can be especially helpful. But I also see many of the posters from the GameEx forum spending some time here too, so the question really isn't a stretch.

Word.

Ok, ok

GameEx is a partner site and a very powerful and popular front end, and Tom and I are even now working together on projects. No-Logic your input and expertise is very helpful and welcome here and I in no way want to detur that. But since this site is not only dedicated to the EmuMovies Project itself it is also specifically devoted to the Front-End community and it needs to be a welcome place for that.

I understand that you and the GameEx team have history but I ask that we leave that at the GameEx forums or wherever and leave that at the door here.

Thanks!

Sorry but I'm not being paid to support GameEx users, there for my refusing to provide such support is not grounds be flamed.

Further jumping in and patting this idiot on the back, makes my stomach turn.

You guys want him...you got him, but you lost me in the trade.

Have fun.

Man why do you hate GameEx so much???

Well, it a good thing Nologic isnt the only one that knows things about emulators. Acting like we lost a really good contributor for a n00b, like it was a bad trade or something.

To the original poster, it can work in gameex, no problem. Please export your config and post it here. If you are unsure how to do that ,just ask.

This really is no big deal, its a shame to see such simple thread be destroyed.

EDIT: you mention "when I post at other established forums everyone growls. " I hope you do not mean Gameex, we really strive to promote a good environment and helpful forum.

Well, it a good thing Nologic isnt the only one that knows things about emulators. Acting like we lost a really good contributor for a n00b, like it was a bad trade or something.

To the original poster, it can work in gameex, no problem. Please export your config and post it here. If you are unsure how to do that ,just ask.

Thanks Brian.

Guest BSebastian01

EDIT: you mention "when I post at other established forums everyone growls. " I hope you do not mean Gameex, we really strive to promote a good environment and helpful forum.

naw. I don't mean the GameEx forum, but when i post there sometimes it takes days/weeks to get an answer and I thought here my question might get read. So ty very much. Okay:

After going crazy wondering why I could launch Stella ok from command line, but not from gameEx, I got frustrated and hit 'tab' in game. It brought up the MESS options- weird cause I had used gameEx Advanced Config to import Stella and change stuff.

Then I looked at the ini and saw that it still was configured for MESS. Then I made a few changes to another emulator to test and THOSE changes aren't being written to the ini either.

So Advanced Config is not writing to my ini. At least I was able to get stella to perform by manually changing the ini!!! So hooray there. It works great. But how do I get Advanced Config to write to ini again?

naw. I don't mean the GameEx forum, but when i post there sometimes it takes days/weeks to get an answer and I thought here my question might get read. So ty very much. Okay:

After going crazy wondering why I could launch Stella ok from command line, but not from gameEx, I got frustrated and hit 'tab' in game. It brought up the MESS options- weird cause I had used gameEx Advanced Config to import Stella and change stuff.

Then I looked at the ini and saw that it still was configured for MESS. Then I made a few changes to another emulator to test and THOSE changes aren't being written to the ini either.

So Advanced Config is not writing to my ini. At least I was able to get stella to perform by manually changing the ini!!! So hooray there. It works great. But how do I get Advanced Config to write to ini again?

Regarding the INI write, Are you using Vista or Win7? Perhaps you need to run the programs as administrator.

As far as the time it takes to get a responce, I appreciate your feedback and will strive for a better experience.

Guest BSebastian01

Regarding the INI write, Are you using Vista or Win7? Perhaps you need to run the programs as administrator.

As far as the time it takes to get a responce, I appreciate your feedback and will strive for a better experience.

I had no intentions of slamming ANYone or ANY forums. GameEx is a GREAT forum. It's just that there is SO much content there, I was afraid I might not get read for a while. Plus, not that I've personally experienced a 'growl' at GameEx- I haven't, as a noob I'm always afraid of the 'google it newb' answer. TO be frank, that is why I hold back from posting often. But I figured since this forum was new, my question might get read sooner.

As far as my snarkiness to Nologic was concerned: I googled his handle and saw that he has a habit of the whole "Screw you guys- I'm going home!" I felt I'd respond in kind, didn't mean to pull down a thread. But then he called me a "simple-minded twit" and my eyes began to water, my lip began to quiver and I broke down in tears. But the train didn't stop there. When I got home I kicked the dog and cussed out my wife. then my wife had an intervention to break me of my 'EmuHobby.' Everyone who cared about me was there. Even my old third-grade teacher. As soon as I'd entered the room I knew I was in for it. i almost turned and left. Then my wife, in tears, began reading her note to me. That was too much. I yelled, "I'm OKAY. Alright? I'm OKAY. You guys are the ones with the problems- I Emu because I CARE dammit! why can't you understand that?!?!?!?!?

I'm running Vista, but- I'm on emu number 27 in my ini and I've had no problems thus far in using gameex. I'm not really a noob (persay), I've been lurking and using GameEx for years. I've always managed to get GameEx to perform, usually with a minimum of effort but I FELT very noobish when I couldn't get a simple command line to launch correctly. I thought i was going crazy- but it simply wasn't writing any new changes to ini. I can't see how it's a permissions issue - I LIVE in advanced config and have never experienced this before. (the not making changes).

I had no intentions of slamming ANYone or ANY forums. GameEx is a GREAT forum. It's just that there is SO much content there, I was afraid I might not get read for a while. Plus, not that I've personally experienced a 'growl' at GameEx- I haven't, as a noob I'm always afraid of the 'google it newb' answer. TO be frank, that is why I hold back from posting often. But I figured since this forum was new, my question might get read sooner.

As far as my snarkiness to Nologic was concerned: I googled his handle and saw that he has a habit of the whole "Screw you guys- I'm going home!" I felt I'd respond in kind, didn't mean to pull down a thread. But then he called me a "simple-minded twit" and my eyes began to water, my lip began to quiver and I broke down in tears. But the train didn't stop there. When I got home I kicked the dog and cussed out my wife. then my wife had an intervention to break me of my 'EmuHobby.' Everyone who cared about me was there. Even my old third-grade teacher. As soon as I'd entered the room I knew I was in for it. i almost turned and left. Then my wife, in tears, began reading her note to me. That was too much. I yelled, "I'm OKAY. Alright? I'm OKAY. You guys are the ones with the problems- I Emu because I CARE dammit! why can't you understand that?!?!?!?!?

I'm running Vista, but- I'm on emu number 27 in my ini and I've had no problems thus far in using gameex. I'm not really a noob (persay), I've been lurking and using GameEx for years. I've always managed to get GameEx to perform, usually with a minimum of effort but I FELT very noobish when I couldn't get a simple command line to launch correctly. I thought i was going crazy- but it simply wasn't writing any new changes to ini. I can't see how it's a permissions issue - I LIVE in advanced config and have never experienced this before. (the not making changes).

Honestly only a couple things come to mind, either its a permission issue or you installed gameex and moved it and its writing to a file somewhere else. Right click on the advanced config goto to propertys and run as administrator. Then see if it takes the changes. It could be a bug so I would like u to try it. As far as Nologic goes don't worry about it. Most of us have been around long enough to know how history repeats itself, he was givin another fresh start and blew it again. It doesn't appear he is banned yet but time will tell. Personally I think its a shame but this is not your fault and no one is blaming you. Circos forum has only been open a few days, please do not this ruin your experience, this is not how Circo runs his site, flaming is not tolerated, and Google is your friend is not a good answer . If I had it my way you would see very little of that. We look forward to your posts and any contributions.

Guest BSebastian01

Honestly only a couple things come to mind, either its a permission issue or you installed gameex and moved it and its writing to a file somewhere else. Right click on the advanced config goto to propertys and run as administrator. Then see if it takes the changes. It could be a bug so I would like u to try it. As far as Nologic goes don't worry about it. Most of us have been around long enough to know how history repeats itself, he was givin another fresh start and blew it again. It doesn't appear he is banned yet but time will tell. Personally I think its a shame but this is not your fault and no one is blaming you. Circos forum has only been open a few days, please do not this ruin your experience, this is not how Circo runs his site, flaming is not tolerated, and Google is your friend is not a good answer . If I had it my way you would see very little of that. We look forward to your posts and any contributions.

well thank you very much. i ran advanced config as administrator, but it's still not writing to the ini. To note: the only thing that 'happened' that was different lately - I backspaced out of the updates for a while as it launched, but have since applied them.

And I appreciate your help. I don't expect an answer timely or not. i see the answers as a bonus, so EVERYTHING you do is above and beyond in my mind. Thank you for that. As far as my experience goes - Circo is an amazing contributor to the scene and so are you. I like it here- I'm not going anywhere. I am passionate about Front Ends and emulation in general. there is a lot of great work being done. To me, I see the art headquarters as the link between emulators and front ends. As a "general and obsessive end-user" EmuMovies.com seems like the nexus that bridges all the islands together - I'm thrilled he's got forums now. Besides i'm getting great help here. Even nologic helped me a bit. So all is good.

Jardavius –

It would probably surprise you to know that at one time I was a big GameEx advocate, and that end users sought me out to provide them with answers above others; so much so that I was once nominated to become a Mod. At one time Brian, Tom, Ben & I where all friends…hell Brian and I were very good friends…things have sadly changed.

Believe it or not it all stems from Ben’s betrayal to GameEx by wanting to create a new competing FE. If you’re wondering exactly how I became the outcast…welcome to the club.

Current hostilities stem from GameEX still being distributed with content I created.

Brian –

So you’re stating someone who can’t even find the help file is equal to me?

Yes Brian you know probably as much as I do about emulators, that said you are not on the same playing field as I am when it comes to scripting…Frequency more or less is…but you are not. Last I seen Tempest was further along than you.

BSebastian01 –

Days and Weeks to get a response on the GX forums…yeah things have changed since I left…where prior you had an average max of five hours before your answer was given.

You have cost these guys a lot of time and effort do to the loss of me…you better damn well prove that you’re worth the loss.

BadSeed –

Your continued antagonization of me has been rewarded by the removal of my tools and loaders. Once again GameEx has in one way or the other harmed the scene.

Frankly I don’t know where you get off. Exactly where did I sign that I would give aid to everyone, and further where does it say that I’m contractual obligated to continue to give aid?

You are in the wrong here bud.

It would probably surprise you to know that at one time I was a big GameEx advocate, and that end users sought me out to provide them with answers above others; so much so that I was once nominated to become a Mod. At one time Brian, Tom, Ben & I where all friends…hell Brian and I were very good friends…things have sadly changed.

Guy, I cannot deny you there, we were friends. Hell I dont hold any grudges, still I wish you and your family well, I also hope things get sorted with your brother. I just got tired cleaning up your posts. Your so hostile. It does not need to always end in war. Im still sad things ended up the way they were. Iam going to be honest, when I saw you were a user here I thought it may be a new chance, a fresh start. I guess not.

Current hostilities stem from GameEX still being distributed with content I created.

These configs you are speaking of are on thier way out, Ben and I are working on a project to change the way gameex is distributed. Now will this stop all this drama? probably not. I thought Id throw that out there.

Yes Brian you know probably as much as I do about emulators, that said you are not on the same playing field as I am when it comes to scripting…Frequency more or less is…but you are not. Last I seen Tempest was further along than you.

Matt (Tempest) is a whiz, very bright. Some might even say your to thank for that (maybe a stretch). It was your barrage of insults that made him feel he had something to prove(speculation), on a personal note I dont think anyone has to prove anything. He now is very talented at scripting. It would have been nice though if everything wasn't so nasty all the time. I really like Matt, he is a great assett to the community and has givin countless help without all the insults.

So what if Matt is a better scripter than I am, that does not bother me in the least, I can still create effective applications, at the end of the day I do it for me, me alone. I happen to also share my work so others not as gifted can enjoy them.

Sadly between my 2 kids (now 2 and a half) and work and school ( I decided to go back to college) Things like emulation have taken a back seat, you cannot take all the credit for turn around times at gameex.

I cant take anything away from you. Your a talented scripter and you have a knack for thinking outside the box, a quality that helps give you your success. Its just your attitude sucks. We have talked about that before, its not anything new to hear.

Your continued antagonization of me has been rewarded by the removal of my tools and loaders. Once again GameEx has in one way or the other harmed the scene.

This is an old trick, but gameex has nothing to do with this one.

Frankly I don’t know where you get off. Exactly where did I sign that I would give aid to everyone, and further where does it say that I’m contractual obligated to continue to give aid?

Its not about a contract, your confusing yourself. Its more or less the point of calling you out. At first you were helpfull, then you read he used gameex and all of a sudden you did not want to help, some how you feel if you deny gameex users help you are punishing them. Sadly the only one your hurting is you.

I have no power here to close these threads, although I probably carry around a little weight behind me, lets stop this here before they get worse. This off topic discussion has run its course.

Guest BSebastian01

Brian –

So you’re stating someone who can’t even find the help file is equal to me?

BSebastian01 –

Days and Weeks to get a response on the GX forums…yeah things have changed since I left…where prior you had an average max of five hours before your answer was given.

You have cost these guys a lot of time and effort do to the loss of me…you better damn well prove that you’re worth the loss.

I found the help file Mr. Nologic, and I stated that I could launch the emu via command line. the issue wasn't my inability to find the help file- I had found the file and properly constructed the command line, but it didn't appear to be working. Advanced config was suddenly updating an old ini file on a different hard drive, NOT the one in my gameex folder. i needed to track down the issue, NOT find the help file or understand command line switches. I understand that I'm not "equal to you" in so many ways. I am not a level 48 Dark Elf Punk.

I don't think I've cost anyone any time and effort, except for my family whom I mercilessly tortured after you berated me. You made me so angry, I've write this from jail where I've been incarcerated for domestic abuse. I'm using the "He made me REAL mad" defense in court tomorrow and we shall see if it works.

mr. Nologic- you are the reason I don't usually like posting on boards. Self-righteous, condescending and rude. I don't care about your grief with GameEx. I'm not sure who does. But, I have my own grief I should vent about. my ex-wife. EmuMovies.com might be the perfect place for me to express to everyone how truly awful she was. I just may try to complain about her in EVERY post. That way, even though you are "gone" I can finally hope to REPLACE you by adding a constant nagging animus in every post.

move over Mr. Nologic- there is a NEW complainer on this board. Consider yourself replaced.

I have no power here to close these threads, although I probably carry around a little weight behind me, lets stop this here before they get worse. This off topic discussion has run its course.

Time for me to step in here, the board has been open for four days people, pm's sent.

Brian,

You said it so I don't have to.

Closing Thread

Archived