Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Mame Artwork vs Unified Bezels vs Standard Bezels

itchyd

What is the difference between the downloads for Mame Artwork vs Unified Bezels vs Standard Bezels? 

I'm running Mame on a 16x9 monitor so I want to fill as much of that extra screen space as I can when I'm playing those 4:3, 3:4 etc games.

Thanks!

The MAME artwork is for use by MAME; the Unified Bezels are meant for use with RocketLauncher. I'm not sure what the standard bezels are to be honest; where did you find those?

The Unified Bezels are a part of the MAME bezels; they were set up to use as much of the screen for game display as possible at the cost of some of the original artwork. The MAME artwork contains the original intended bezel as well as the unified version.

It's up to you if you wish to use MAME to display the bezels or if you prefer RocketLauncher to handle that.

Edit: I assumed here that with the MAME artwork you mean the up to date set in the RetroFE Media Pack in the Official section. That's my most up to date set of bezels.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond but now I'm more confused than ever.

The MAME artwork is for use by MAME; the Unified Bezels are meant for use with RocketLauncher.

So does that mean I put MAME artwork into the mame/artwork folder?

I put unified bezels in some rocketlauncher folder? 

The Unified Bezels are a part of the MAME bezels

Wait I thought they were for use with rocketlauncher?

Do I need to download everything?

See below for where to find standard bezels. Are they for standard width screens?

I just want a nice 16x9 bezel around as many of my MAME games as possible when I'm playing.  What files do I need and what is the best way to achieve it?  Thanks!

bezels.png

My apologies for confusing you. :) Let's try again.

The Unified Bezel set contains bezels for use with RocketLauncher, which should go in the RocketLauncher directory (I'm not sure where; I don't use RocketLauncher). These bezels maximize the game area by cutting off some of the original artwork.

My MAME bezel set on the FTP in the RetroFE Media Pack are meant for use with MAME, and should go in the mame/artwork directory. It contains the (converted) unified bezel set as well as the (converted) original bezels.

The standard bezel set comes from MrDo as far as I can tell, and should be a part of my MAME bezel set as well. Most of those are not for 16:9 though.

If you want RocketLauncher to handle your bezels, just download the Unified Bezel set, and perhaps find the originals elsewhere on the internet. If you want MAME to handle your bezels, just download my bezel set in stead.

The Unified Bezel set contains bezels for use with RocketLauncher, which should go in the RocketLauncher directory (I'm not sure where; I don't use RocketLauncher).

'RocketLauncher/Media/Bezel/Mame/(Game Name)'

#2centsgiven

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Sure, though if you grab my MAME bezel pack from the FTP you'll notice I've already done that (by script). :)

The actual bezel part of Metalzoic's set is based on 2560x1440 resolution, so step 1 is to convert the background image to 2560x1400. You then cut out the 1920x1440 (for horizontal games) or 1080x1440 (for vertical games) middle part with a transparent block, and add in the supplied horizontal or vertical bezel. That takes care of the image.

You then need to create the .lay information. For horizontal games:

<element name="Bezel name (pick something)">
  <image file="Name of the just created image"/>
</element>

<view name="View name in MAME (pick something)">
  <screen index="0">
    <bounds x="320" y="0" width="1920" height="1440"/>
  </screen>
  <bezel element="Name of the element you picked above">
    <bounds x="0" y="0" width="2560" height="1440"/>
  </bezel>
</view>

For vertical games, replaced the screen bounds with:

<bounds x="740" y="0" width="1080" height="1440"/>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/13/2017 at 3:11 AM, phulshof said:

Sure, though if you grab my MAME bezel pack from the FTP you'll notice I've already done that (by script). :)

The actual bezel part of Metalzoic's set is based on 2560x1440 resolution, so step 1 is to convert the background image to 2560x1400. You then cut out the 1920x1440 (for horizontal games) or 1080x1440 (for vertical games) middle part with a transparent block, and add in the supplied horizontal or vertical bezel. That takes care of the image.

You then need to create the .lay information. For horizontal games:

<element name="Bezel name (pick something)">
  <image file="Name of the just created image"/>
</element>

<view name="View name in MAME (pick something)">
  <screen index="0">
    <bounds x="320" y="0" width="1920" height="1440"/>
  </screen>
  <bezel element="Name of the element you picked above">
    <bounds x="0" y="0" width="2560" height="1440"/>
  </bezel>
</view>