Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

CFG Magician Help

shinjuku

I have a question on mapping joysticks in CFG Magician. I am trying to map the controls to use on both player 1 and 2 in alternating type games. I am using UltraStiks.

However, after creating my cfgs neither joystick works.

I downloaded Scan Source and created data files from mame 0.149 source which I am using. I put those files into CFG Magician and opened up the alternating games list ( I did this for clones and no clones) 

I put in the control values for each player by pressing the buttons on my control panel for player 1 and 2. I was not sure what values to put in for the joysticks though as when I moved them no values registered. When configuring Nestopia though, moving the joysticks did register values of -x, -y, +x and +y. I decided to try and use those. 

I right clicked in the "left" box for the joystick for player one. I chose joy code 1, x axis, positive, absolute. I did the same for the next three boxes +y, -x, -y. For player 2, I used joy code 2 then the same values as they came out the same in Nestopia. I then created the cfg files put them into name after copying my originals. when I started pacman neither joystick worked.

One note. I mapped the joysticks to id 1 and 2 in ultrastik. However, when I moved them up, down, etc, in nestopia to record the input values. The stick I mapped to id+1 showed up as (joy0) -x, etc and the other stick i mapped to id+=2 showed up as  (joy1). So, I edited the cfg magician ini to "joycode=1" and tried the process again to the same results.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm sure I am just missing something simple.

Thanks

I'm assuming that you can set up your joysticks within Mame using the {Tab} menu?

If so, would you post ONE of the cfg file created by CFG Magician, and then use the {Tab} menu to [Change Controls For This Game], for that same game and then post the contents of the file again?

I want to see the difference between the file that CFG Magician created, vs the same cfg file created by Mame.

Thanks for taking the time.. I am attaching the before and after files created in CFG Magician. In looking at the files, I obviously need to change my setup choices in CFGM. For the after file I used player one joystick to move and come up with the settings. I did try and set up both in Mame but the file still read exactly the same as here.Just as if only one stick was set up. Also, it is odd to me that my player one stick that I set up as id=1 in ultrastik shows "joy code 2" in the config. Or are the two unrelated?

If you can help me find the right settings in CFGM to create the files I need I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Pacman_after_mame.rtf

pacman_before_mame.rtf

It looks like you were doing everything correctly, I just didn't have the option that you needed for successful mapping.

I added {None} to the token strings for item classes (SWITCH|ABSOLUTE|RELATIVE|{NONE})

In your case, you will want to select JOYCODE>1>YAXIS>NEG>{NONE} which will show in the pacman.cfg file as JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_NEG

The goal is to duplicate the codes exactly as if you entered them using the {Tab} menu in Mame.

I uploaded a new version HERE

Please let me know if this fixes your problem.

Still no dice. Neither joystick works with the CFG produced in CFGM... The files I am uploading are:

PacmanBefore.  This is just as it came out of CFGM

PacmanAfter. This is after opening the tab menu in MAME and setting inputs for this game. I went down to the joystick directions, moved the player1 joystick for each direction and let MAME record it.

PacmanAfter_moving_player_2 _joystick. This is the same as PacmanAfter except I went to the player 2 joystick setup in the MAME tab menu and moved my player 2 joystick to have MAME record it.

I notice it says "switch" at the end after moving the joystick in MAME. Should I have things set a "switch" in CFGM?

Thanks for your help

PacmanAfter.rtf

PacmanAfter_move_player2_joystick.rtf

PacmanBefore.rtf

Hi,

I tried the program using the input with "switch" at the end (p2-x-neg-switch, p1-y-pos-switch, etc). The result was the player one joystick working but not the player two. I will post these cfg files if you have time to look and will try some other settings tonight.

These files are: First using the "joycode 0" in the CFMG ini. Second using the "joycode 1" in the CFMG ini and last using the joy code 1 file and moving the player 2 joystick in the mame tab menu to "set" player 2 controls (don't ask me why)

Thanks again

pacman_adjust_stick2.rtf

pacman_joycode0.rtf

Pacman_joycode1.rtf

No problem at all. Any help you can provide is appreciated. My arcade is working this is just a finishing touch I would like to have. I am uploading this last file. I removed the pacman.cfg from mame, and started the game to create a new one. I then redid the settings in CFGM and created new configs. Put them in mame and  again only the player one stick works. This is using joycode1-x-neg-switch, etc. I changed the joycode in the CFGM ini file from 0 to 1 but the cfg file that was output was exactly the same so I won't upload it. I am just posting this stuff so you have all the information I can provide whenever you have time to get to it. The rest of my family has been visiting grandma, etc so I have had some time to mess around with things......

Thanks

PacmanCFGM_last.rtf

If I understand everything correctly, you need to use JOYCODE_1_XAXIS_POS_SWITCH for Joystick 1, and JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH for Joystick 2. Of course you will need to use the corresponding codes for each joystick for up, down, left, and right.

For the cfg files to work correctly, they must match the inputs that are created when setting the joysticks while in Mame.
For whatever reason, your two joysticks are using different codes.

That did not work either. I can"t figure it.... I will include files for you to browse if you have time. First is the file created in CFGM. Second is the same file after I went into the tab menu in MAME and moved the player one and two joysticks to set the up, down, left, right for player one and two. Last is a file created in CFGM WITHOUT checking the mirror 2p alt controls box. It comes out no different than if I do check the box. Should this be the case?

Thanks for your help.

Pacman-1.rtf

pacman-2.rtf

pacman-no-check.rtf

Tempest,

Could you possibly post a file (maybe from pacman as that is what I have been using for an example) so I could see what a "good" mirroring file would look like? I have been running through all kind of combinations in CFGM but nothing has worked yet.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I figured this out on my own months back but did not post anything on it. I am attaching a "good" pacman cfg file that makes both player one and two joysticks work.

The thing I did was to enter both the player one and player two joy codes and buttons separated by "or" into the p_1 side of the CFG magician settings to create CFG files that would work. I am attaching a picture of the setting screen to clarify. I am using Ultimarc Ultrastik 360's.

I can't quite remember but I think I found out what my joysticks were telling my computer by going into Mame and trying to set an individual configuration for a game. I moved each joystick for up, down, left and right. Whatever showed up on screen in the name settings is what I put into CFG Magician. (JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH, etc)

post-33941-0-74257400-1387332212_thumb.j

Pacman.rtf

Archived