Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Questions about the MAME video snaps

ThirdDoi

This is a bit ironic. A few months ago EmuMovies introduced me to the Pleasuredome. Now the folks over at the Pleasuredome have introduced me to your brand new forum. I have a question about the MAME videos snaps on the FTP server. I am not currently a member, but I would like to become one depending on the answers to my questions below.

The EmuMovies torrent on the Pleasuredome tracker is out of date with the current version of MAME. Are the video snaps on the EmuMovies FTP server up to date?

How are releases made? Are they released in chunks like the MAME update sets?

How do users keep their EmuMovies video snaps/art sets in sync with MAME? Are there dats that can can be used with CMP?

Thank you for your time.

The EmuMovies torrent on the Pleasuredome tracker is out of date with the current version of MAME. Are the video snaps on the EmuMovies FTP server up to date?

Not Yet, The version on the FTP (Uploading Now) is still v.128, I am working on the update but if you read the video creastion guide you may have noticed that the mame vids do not quite meet that standard. I am currently working on a .135 update of the set but not only are the files named correctly and videos added for the new roms, i am also doing some quick re-edits so that they will match our finalized standards. The new set also has normalized audio which means the volume changes that you would hear between games and and even between different systems has been corrected.

So soon it will be available, and I am hoping to get update packs out every few versions. I didn't do so well on that since .128 but I have quite a bit more help these days :good2: Also the set on the FTP (and soon in our download area) is available in HiQ which is 640x480 vs the set I host on PD is SQ or 320x240 (half the quality)

I think I would be over halfway there if the FTP had not just burst and force us to make this switch. I am happy it did though because, well it's a huge upgrade good2.gif

How do users keep their EmuMovies video snaps/art sets in sync with MAME? Are there dats that can can be used with CMP?

Normally you can just set your ftp program to download and files where file sizes had changed, to get any files that had been altered or newly added and it would just skip all of the others. But in order to meet the new standard I decided to do a quick upgrade to the set as metioned before it means all files are being replaced. And with all the name changes in the latest mame that option would not have worked well. I will be uploading the set as I go, in HiQ and even FLV format, once it's done I will look at making an SQ version.

Thank you for your time.

Not a problem and welcome to our forum! drinks.gif

Thank you for that very complete reply and for bringing the Video Snap Creation Guide to my attention. I in no way meant to imply any dissatisfaction. Actually, with all of the content that you provide and considering the pace and nature of MAME updates, I'm actually quite impressed by the speed of the output.

As for the updating process, I wish it were as easy as just pointing Filezilla towards a directory. As you know better than I know, MAME's renaming has the ability to give a perfectly good set of extras a swift kick in the nuts. I wonder if a temporary although imperfect solution could be to provide a simple checksum (sha1) file to check against with each update?

As for the updating process, I wish it were as easy as just pointing Filezilla towards a directory. As you know better than I know, MAME's renaming has the ability to give a perfectly good set of extras a swift kick in the nuts. I wonder if a temporary although imperfect solution could be to provide a simple checksum (sha1) file to check against with each update?

I am not very familiar with checksums, but I can tell you that after this next update, I will not be changing the set much besides just adding new vids and renaming. Once I quit changing the videos I can make dats all it takes is renaming the set making a dat and distributing it. But since the line has been drawn in the sand on how releases are going to be going forward the redo stuff will eventually stop.

That plan will be both easier and more efficient.

I really need to thank Keno and HyperSpin for the idea behind the quality and consistancy of the videos. HyperSpin can be a little unforgiving with some of the older content (at least for me but I have always been rather critical of the sets). And Keno gave me the idea for the transitions with his NES and SNES sets i_am_so_happy.gif

It's really important to me to finally do it right and be done with it, a perfect set across the board! Plus I feel an obligation at this point to the community, let's face it if I didn't have such a great and supportive user base this project would have flamed out years ago. It's good to finally meet everyone in the forum and I am looking forward to some exciting progress.

Archived