Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Confused on Video Snaps - FLV (480) Vs. MP4 (480) & Hyperspin 2.0?

baywatch242000

I am confused on whether FLV 480 or MP4 480 is better.

The MP4 480 resolution files are claimed to be compatible with Hyperspin 2.0.

It's my understanding that there is no Hyperspin 2.0. It hasn't been released yet and there's no estimated date of release.

Am I confused and the MP4 files ARE actually compatible with the current version of Hyperspin?

According to Hyperspin's download page, there is only a 1.2 Update Pack and no 2.0 version.

The reason we still have flv's is to support the current version of hyperspin. MP4 will be supported in 2.0 when it is released and is currently supported by most other front ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HperSpin 2.0 is not out yet. Currently 1.0 supports only FLV container movies. Once 2.0 is released it will support MP4.

Myself and a few others download the MP4 videos from emumovies in anticipation of HperSpin 2.0 because the FLV files are much bigger in size for the same quality.

So, to recap:

FLV; HyperSpin 1.0, GameEx - Larger file size

MP4; HyperSpin 2.0, GameEx - Smaller file size

• 8 months later...
As of 1.3 HyperSpin supports mp4

Ok so I just downloaded a complete set of 240p .mp4's and loaded them up in hyperspin. The videos play but are totally distorted (purple blocks with sound). I do have the 1.3 update installed any idea of what might be going on?

You must be using an Intel 4xxx graphics card; I am as well and cannot view MP4 videos in HyperSpin, it is not your PC that is the problem, it is flaws in the rendering method of HyperSpin itself.  Bill should be addressing this in the next update.  It sucks I know, but you can quit trying to make it work and save yourself some time; because no matter how much you tinker with it, it simply won't work.

Yes i3-3225 with onboard HD4000 gfx, awesome CPU btw. No need to buy a "proper graphics card" this thing runs everything my HTPC could possibly need and does pj64, dolphin and even some dx11 games 1920x1080 at an easy 60fps. I even have it running undervolted at .9vcore. I can not say enough about how much I love this proc, Integrated graphics are not what they used to be!

I reverted back to HS 1.2 and converted everything to .flv and its working like a charm. 1.3 was also causing me problems with my xbox360 controller scrolling too quickly and skipping through the menus making it impossible to select specific games. Seems like they've got a few kinks to work out before ill be updating again.

No matter how intel tries to paint it, those will never be as good as a dedicated graphics card it's performance is crippled (besides all the other issues) and not suited for gaming it's class 3 anyway so there are no miracles, not to mention anything besides nvidia will likely give you issues on emulation at one point or another.

A few extra bucks for a dedicated card are well worth it imo especially if you are setting up a gaming machine, the only machine where I use integrated intel graphics is my server and that's because I don't even have a monitor connected to it.

No matter how intel tries to paint it, those will never be as good as a dedicated graphics card it's performance is crippled (besides all the other issues) and not suited for gaming it's class 3 anyway so there are no miracles, not to mention anything besides nvidia will likely give you issues on emulation at one point or another.

A few extra bucks for a dedicated card are well worth it imo especially if you are setting up a gaming machine, the only machine where I use integrated intel graphics is my server and that's because I don't even have a monitor connected to it.

As the owner of a gtx480 in my main rig I can agree. However keep in mind I'm referring to a HTPC which along with being in a small form factor case also has to find a balance between performance and power consumption. Gaming is an afterthought. I could always put in my 480 once I decide to upgrade as the case will hold the card, but the resulting heat, noise, and power draw would throw off the whole purpose of the build. So I defiantly hear what your saying but for the application the setup I have is more than sufficient. Also there have been talks of integrated graphics soon becoming the next entry level for gaming, although I wouldn't consider it being quite there yet.

My HTPC;

Case: Silverstone GD06

PSU: Seasonic 400w ss400-fl, full modular, fanless

Mobo: Asrock H77 pro 4-m

CPU: Core i3 3225 3.3ghz HD4000

RAM: 6gb Corsair XMS3

BOOT DRIVE: Crucial M4 128gb

HDD: 1x WD Caviar Green 2tb, 1x WD Caviar Green 3tb

OPTICAL: Samsung Blu-ray

Win7 64bit,

Xbmc 12.0 Frodo

Which format of videos requires less system resources to play? I am under the impression the Flash video is more CPU intensive and I am concerned that it will cause the system to lag since it is a bit underpowered and Hyperspin is fairly resource heavy to begin with. 

• 1 month later...
Which format of videos requires less system resources to play? I am under the impression the Flash video is more CPU intensive and I am concerned that it will cause the system to lag since it is a bit underpowered and Hyperspin is fairly resource heavy to begin with. 

I am the original poster and have it all sorted out.

After downloading the two new exe's from Hyperspin and overwriting the existing exe's, the application just treated the new MP4 file as if it were an FLV after I updated Hyperspin's video folder to point to the MP4 versions.

Let me tell you, the MP4's are lighter on your computer system, a small file than FLV, and the quality is a HUGE improvement over the FLV's. You will be astounded by the quality the people behind emumovies has done.

Believe me, more than anything I hated to redownload all of my videos over again, but after seeing a huge upgrade in the quality of the video (Mp4 vs FLV) while actually reducing hard disc space it was a no-brainer.

you can actually just rename the .mp4 files to .flv in 1.2

this would allow them to play back just fine for me

Yep this works although it will cause hyperspin to freeze in attract mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived