Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Our New FTP - Now Integrated with the Forum

Circo

There were some pretty major changes behind the scenes while we were down. When the old server died it completely corrupted cpanel and while I was able to save pretty much everything the one major thing that was lost was the FTP user database. This is the second time that this has happened and the last time it took three months to manually set up all of the FTP accounts. This time it would have been even longer as our user base goes back four years.

What I have been able to do is integrate the FTP logins into the forum and make it automatically assign user logins and passwords. This is dependent on user groups which is why there is no more standard access. And yes standard users were given FTP accounts so everyone has the same access. That is better because not everything is in the download section and some sets like mame are just too big for direct downloads.

With the new system I was able to set up all of our supporting members with new FTP accounts in about 5 minutes. However if you had an FTP account and were not a registered member of the forums your old login information no longer works. You will need to register for the forums and then PM me and I will upgrade your access appropriately.

I am also implementing a new enterprise level backup strategy and our server will be backed up offsite daily. The new estimate from my host in the event of another server meltdown is 3-4 hours to come back up on a completely new server. Although when we moved to our last server we had issues from the start but could never figure out exactly what the problem was. I am happy to report that none of those issues have resurfaced since we came back up on this machine. I will state that this new server is overkill and it should be able to handle over 100,000 users which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Archived