Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Rom sets

Guest Ninja Rygar

Guest Ninja Rygar

Can somebody explain why some EmuMovies collections are named using NoIntro and some others use GoodMerged names?

Personally, I prefer the good merged sets, but most are actually NoIntro... so I have to rename most of the collections myself to match the Good Merged set.

Do I have to re-download all the NoIntro sets if that's what I should be using? I've never touched NoIntro before, and I was under the impression that it doesnt' include as much as a complete GoodMerged set.

Can somebody explain why some EmuMovies collections are named using NoIntro and some others use GoodMerged names?

Personally, I prefer the good merged sets, but most are actually NoIntro... so I have to rename most of the collections myself to match the Good Merged set.

Do I have to re-download all the NoIntro sets if that's what I should be using? I've never touched NoIntro before, and I was under the impression that it doesnt' include as much as a complete GoodMerged set.

No intro is used because it is very popular and HS databases lists are built off thier naming convention. Emumovies is a partner of HS and Circo does his best to accommodate the community.

That said. Goodsets do have more data, however it is not all its cracked up to be. Look at a good set game (say super mario bros)

you will have 20 diffrent versions of the game, good dumps, bad dumps, hacks etc... If a version of the game exists they have it.

Personally I only need one super mario bros, the one I remember playing. I dont need to play mario with an afro. Sure it may be interesting but it really is not authentic and who on earth needs to fill thier hard drive with bad dumps.

No intro takes the best dump of each game for each country and thats it. The have a nice naming convention.

I hope that helps.

Okay as for why No-Intro vs GoodMerge naming...mostly since the majority of end users use sets based off of No-Intro. Originally if I recall correctly all sets that could be done in GoodMerge where...it was later on when things got shifted over to No-Intro.

Now for directly No-Intro vs GoodMerge rom sets...they both have two distinctly different approaches. GoodMerge is a collection of everything out in the wild...good dumps, bad dumps, over and under dumps,...; where No-Intro is strictly just good dumps period. So with GoodMerge you spend some time riffling around with lots of trash to get at the good dumps.

Now there are certain good dumps that are only present in one set or the other...however this margin of difference is getting smaller in No-Intro's case.

As for what you should be using...thats largely up to you...I prefer No-Intro over GoodMerge when available.

Far as roms...if you choose to migrate over to No-Intro you can rebuild a good part of the sets based on roms available in the GoodMerge sets.

Far as vids...you maybe in more rough shape there...I did up some dat's a while back that where to be hosted on the EmuMovies site\ftp...but they where deemed to far out of date to be of much use. Out of date meaning the vid's them selves had changed.

Anyways you can try my dat's for the vid's and see how well they work for you.

EmuMovies Dat's.rar

Guest Ninja Rygar

So I can use clrmamepro to simply rename my Goodsets to No Intro.... using the Dat files availible from No-Intro's main page.

Simple!

One quick question though... how do I merge them? Does No Intro have it's own set of xmdb files?

(Thanks for the .dats, but I'll just re-download the .avis and image sets off the FTP if I have to.)

Many of the sets have been renamed using FATMATCH and a clean romset. Usually anything with a 2009 set date has been renamed to the latest no-intro because thats what hyperspin uses. I have found the FatMatch program to be very helpful to rename the video and artwork sets to match your roms.

Guest Ninja Rygar

So I'm making the big switch from Good Sets to No Intro sets... and I like what I see...

I just have one more question about EmuMovies... ok, so, I figured out how to merge my sets, so all regions are in one 7z... but now, what do you suggest I do about making sure the filenames match?

When you merge the roms, the name of the 7z does not contain any region, while the sets from EmuMovies must be intended for un-merged rom sets. So what do I do? Do I rename the avis, snaps, titles, manuals, boxes and carts using an annoying program, or do I rename the 7z files manually?

So I'm making the big switch from Good Sets to No Intro sets... and I like what I see...

I just have one more question about EmuMovies... ok, so, I figured out how to merge my sets, so all regions are in one 7z... but now, what do you suggest I do about making sure the filenames match?

When you merge the roms, the name of the 7z does not contain any region, while the sets from EmuMovies must be intended for un-merged rom sets. So what do I do? Do I rename the avis, snaps, titles, manuals, boxes and carts using an annoying program, or do I rename the 7z files manually?

We are actively in the process of converting all of our sets to the latest naming conventions. We have been renaming avi's snaps, titles, manuals, boxes, and carts using an annoying program so you don't have to. If you find something that is off let us know and hopefully a member of the team can address it or if somebody wants to help rename the set we can take that and replace what we have.

Guest Ninja Rygar

We are actively in the process of converting all of our sets to the latest naming conventions. We have been renaming avi's snaps, titles, manuals, boxes, and carts using an annoying program so you don't have to. If you find something that is off let us know and hopefully a member of the team can address it or if somebody wants to help rename the set we can take that and replace what we have.

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but what does Emumovies prefer? Merged, or un-merged? Like I said, I'm sorry about asking so much.

There's just so much to consider....

Unmerged sets cause alot of duplicates on game lists, which clutters things, while Merged sets require stuff to get renamed.

Or I could just remove all other region roms on my own, so that they don't clutter the list, but that means missing out on alot, not to mention just being more of a pain than just renaming.

Maybe we should clarify this somewhere.... (Hope Im' not being annoying.)

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but what does Emumovies prefer? Merged, or un-merged? Like I said, I'm sorry about asking so much.

There's just so much to consider....

Unmerged sets cause alot of duplicates on game lists, which clutters things, while Merged sets require stuff to get renamed.

Or I could just remove all other region roms on my own, so that they don't clutter the list, but that means missing out on alot, not to mention just being more of a pain than just renaming.

Maybe we should clarify this somewhere.... (Hope Im' not being annoying.)

No-Intro does not have a merged, unmerged option. Your thinking of good tools. When we do use the Goodtools/goodmerge naming ie: Atari 2600 and 7800 we use the merged.

I like all the projects I follow (HyperSpin/HyperPin, EmuMovies, No-Intro, GoodTools and redump.org) are somehow connected between them.

Once I finish my 4TB project (redump.org sets left, mainly), I'd love to contribute the site with HiQ/SQ EmuMovies from redump.org dats, which covers pretty actual system sets (GC, Wii, PSX, PS2, PSP, Saturn, DC, XBOX...) along with older sets in cd-based format (Commodore CD/CD32/CDTV, 3DO, CD-i, Mega-CD, PC-E CD...).

With MAME (arcade) + No-Intro (cartdridges) + GoodTools (cartdridges) + redump-org (cd-based) we'll have pretty much covered all the main systems, and HiQ will be closer to conquer the world.

Guest Ninja Rygar

No-Intro does not have a merged, unmerged option. Your thinking of good tools. When we do use the Goodtools/goodmerge naming ie: Atari 2600 and 7800 we use the merged.

Actually, I found out... that there IS a merge option for No-Intro sets.

If you go to the Dat-O-Matic, (which is where I got the most recent No-Intro DAT files) there's a section to download "P/Clone XMDB" files. You can then use those XMDB files with the program GoodMerge (GoodMerge is the program used, despite it not being a good set).

It merges the roms exactly how good tools would, though one thing is a tad different....

If a 7z only contains one rom... the name of the 7z archive will match the name of the rom exactly, region code and everything.

Example: "Star Ocean (Japan).sfc" would get archived as "Star Ocean (Japan).7z"

But if the archive contains more than one rom, the region codes are removed just like Good Tools.

Example:

"Super Double Dragon (Europe).sfc"

"Super Double Dragon (USA).sfc"

"Return of Double Dragon (Japan).sfc"

would get archived as just "Super Double Dragon.7z"

In any case, this solves my problem. FatMatch contains an option for "Disregard Rom Tags", and since that's the ONLY thing different between merged and unmerged names... FatMatch should match everything with perfect accuracy. So I don't mind doing that for each image set.

Thanks really much for the tip.

The main problem I see is that HS doesn't handle 7z, it's the actual emulator the one that needs to do it. It would be a nice feature to add, just like GameEX, which extracts the 7z on the fly into a temp directory and then the game is launched, independently from the emulator used. 7z and merged sets are a must for hardcore collectors, imho.

Guest Ninja Rygar

Oh oh OH. Now I see... yeah I use GameEx... I didn't realize HyperSpin didn't feature 7z support.

Seeing as how most FTP members are HyperSpin users, it comes as no surprise that the sets aren't named for merged roms.

Well that about settles that I guess.

Archived