Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Encoding Changes

Circo

I am currently uploading the new SNES sets and will announce them formally once it's fully up on the server. With this set comes some fairly hefty changes to the video encoding formats used here at emumovies. I am deviating from xvid-avi/vp6-flv to the much more efficient x.264-mp4/x.264-flv formats. The big advantage here is that filesizes are much much smaller with the same quality, also it streamlines the encoding process on my side.

example

SNES 1.0

AVI [480p] 4.8 GB

FLV [480p] 6.2 GB (HyperSpin}

SNES 2.0

MP4 [480p] 1.8 GB

FLV [480p] 1.9 GB (HyperSpin)

Once this set is up all new releases will be in these formats as well as existing sets converted.

If anyone has any issues or complications with these new formats please let us know in this thread so we can work out any bugs if they pop up.

Minor change of plan, I found that by keeping the extension .avi instead of mp4 these videos still work just fine with Mala and Maximus. So we will still have AVI/FLV but using x.264/aac encoding vs XviD/mp3.

hmm I'd advise against mislabeling the containers...it would be better to advise end users that they can change the file extension themselves.

Or you could use AVI-Mux to stuff x264/AAC into an actual AVI container. It's just better to not make things messy.

Honestly it would best if the authors of these frontends just added support for more container types....which I think is just limited to stating in code that more than than the file extension AVI is okay...as it should all be handled by the VFW codec's (Video For Windows) and having something like FFShow takes care of...well...everything.

hmm I'd advise against mislabeling the containers...it would be better to advise end users that they can change the file extension themselves.

Or you could use AVI-Mux to stuff x264/AAC into an actual AVI container. It's just better to not make things messy.

Honestly it would best if the authors of these frontends just added support for more container types....which I think is just limited to stating in code that more than than the file extension AVI is okay...as it should all be handled by the VFW codec's (Video For Windows) and having something like FFShow takes care of...well...everything.

Good Information, I sent a note over to loadman of Mala to see if he could add .mp4 support. I don't really see the point with maximus since it's basically dead at this point from what I have heard.

Well if loadman is going to go digging into the code he should probably cover all of these extensions:

.asf   Advanced Systems Format File
.avi Audio Video Interleave File
.divx DivX-Encoded Movie File
.f4v Flash MP4 Video File
.flv Flash Video File
.m4v iTunes Video File
.mkv Matroska Video File
.mov Apple QuickTime Movie
.movie QuickTime Movie File
.mp4 MPEG-4 Video File
.mpeg MPEG Movie
.mpg MPEG Video File
.ogm Ogg Media File
.rm Real Media File
.rmvb RealMedia Variable Bit Rate File
.swf Shockwave Flash Movie
.ts Video Transport Stream File
.vob DVD Video Object File
.webm WebM Video File
.wmv Windows Media Video File
.xvid Xvid-Encoded Video File

However primary focus should be on:

.avi   Audio Video Interleave File
.f4v Flash MP4 Video File
.flv Flash Video File
.m4v iTunes Video File
.mkv Matroska Video File
.mp4 MPEG-4 Video File
.ogm Ogg Media File
.webm WebM Video File
.wmv Windows Media Video File

My thoughts anyways.

I tried avi-mux with no luck, it will not accept the mp4. So the issue is, GameEx and HyperSpin are just fine with the new formats, mala works ok (i think there is a delay) by renaming the files to avi from mp4. But I don't think its worth keeping a 3rd bloated avi set around just for a tiny bit of compatibility. Hopefully I hear from loadman soon.

Archived