Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Got a Attack From Mars over the holidays

jimjim

Quick little story to share. On my local Craig's List was a group of route games for sale for 4000. A big crane, beanie crane, candy machines on a rack, sticker machine, and an Attack From Mars. I figured the Attack From Mars was worth 3500-4000. I called and asked about just getting the pinball. The guy said "No, it is a package deal and I would have to take all of them.", so I said okay.

Called up some people I knew and got rid of the sticker, beanie and candy machines. Saw an ad on CL that a elderly lady was looking for a crane machine and would pay 500 bucks. Perfect I thought. Called her up and everybody else wanted to sell her little machines. She saw the pictures and was thrilled. Everything was going perfect until:

1. Couldn't fit the crane through the bowling alley doors. It took my brother and I 10 minutes to take the damn door off to get that machine out., and then 2 hours to put them back on. The door hinge was rusty and wouldn't close right.

2. My brother nicked the edge of the machine putting it into his truck. Pissed me off, but I didn't complain as he did volunteer to help and I am going to restore it anyways.

3. The lady who owned the bowling alley gave me grief, because, " I didn't know the route guy was going to sell my customer's favorite pin. If I knew he was selling it, you would have never got it. That is a 25,000 dollar pin he sold to you for 4000." I pulled up some sites on phone and showed her some stuff to prove that I only got a deal because I got somebody to buy the other machines and didn't have to have the game shipped it to me. She still believed the pin was worth $25,000. (Hindsight: I should have offered it to her for $12,000, but I'm not that way)

The route guy said nobody wanted the other games and that is why he sold me the whole deal. Everybody had balked at taking everything. Kind of find that hard to believe, but that's what he told me.

Machine was dirty as hell. Almost all the lights were burnt out., says it has over 20,000 plays, and made around $9000 in the audits. (Have to check the exact amount again, also believe that it was reset at sometime.) SOL hole wear, mismatched targets, soot everywhere, highly played machine.

The 4 machines sold for 1200 combined, so I ended up with an AFM for 2800. My first CL score. good2.gif

Sounds like you got a great deal jimjim. Any pics of this $25,000 pinball machine sarcastic.gif

I'll post some shots of it later this week. I got my restorer all lined up for it. It is going to be a beauty. Can't wait.

Archived