Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Bezel Artwork for Mame

Reevesad

Hi All, So having stumbled recently into Mame Bezel artwork I thought mmm....this looks much better than having those annoying black overscan borders on every game. So after surfing the net I found that theres quite a lot available but then so many titles are missing, some are oversized, some are undersized, some are bad, some are excellent, but most of all they are not the correct format for using direct with Mame as no "Lay" file. Now I know that some people use retroarch/Rocketlauncher, and can setup the bezel artwork really well on it without the need of a "Lay" file. But hey I set my Launchbox/Bigbox up to play direct through Mame and don't want to change anything now as I like the setup (apart from the obvious.... borders lol).

So after watching numerous youtube videos I finally got the bug after watching a great tutorial video on Bezel artwork from Derek Moore (using the free art package GIMP).

I like the way his bezel templates have been formated, in line with the 4:3 Horizontal and 3:4 vertical aspects of arcade games and I especially like the Original Glass CRT screen look which had a nice reflection/scratched look about it. 

Off and on over the last couple of weeks I've been alphabetically going through my mame games list of roughly just over 1900 and using existing bezel artwork, artwork on the net, box art ect ect to make my own bezel art for each and every game on my list in the format that I like and which can be dumped directly into the Mame artwork folder. I've just finished A-C (including numeric games) roughly about 380 bezels. Now some games have hardly any artwork to use or the artwork available is just naff, so I came up with some standard looking bezels (see attached examples H&V, real glass effect), I did using someone elses bezel idea but I just tweaked it a little and I made a few rather than just the same one. My artwork like Derek Moore' has just artwork at the sides rather than top and bottom as this would have taken an age to do for each title.

I've saved original bezels that I obtained from the net along with the two versions that I created (Clear Glass and Real Glass effect) in individual folder names (mame rom list) with a standard "Lay" file. so it will be a case of dropping them into the Mame artwork folder and just tweaking the horizontal and vertical tabs in mame to fit perfectly within the window.

Anyway after all that waffle my question is, does this interest anyone at all?  

Just thinking once I'm all finished I may upload these to emumovies or somewhere so people can take them, use them or even add their own ideas to them.

Regards, Adam

vert_real_glass.png

real_glass.png

You're aware of my MAME bezel set collection on MEGA and EmuMovies? If you wish, I would prefer to work together rather than me integrating your work into that set at a later date. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Phulshof, 

Tbh i'm quite new to this Bezel/emulation scene so was just seeing what the score was with others on Launchbox and emumovies, not looking to step on anyones toes.

I've probably used some of your mame artwork (A-C) in mine already but as I'm a newbie I wanted the real glass look and didn't know how to set this up so just used Derek Moore' template which seems to work for me.  what artwork name is yours under?

I'm happy to get involved but will need guiding as i'm literally just started getting involved with this. but have the bug.... or it could just be my OCD...if one game has a bezel then so must they all.

No art is really mine; I just gather. My set is on the EmuMovies set as part of the RetroFE art pack in the emulators/MAME/artwork directory. As far as I know, it's the most extensive MAME set out there, but I still have a few 100 to convert from RocketLauncher format.

• Like 1

Hi Phulshof, Do you know if theres an issue with this FTP site as I tried google search using files.emumovies.com and it just sent to me the the "Forbidden site" pop up.

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Hi Phulshof, Do you know if theres an issue with this FTP site as I tried google search using files.emumovies.com and it just sent to me the the "Forbidden site" pop up.

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I'm sorry, but since you mentioned uploading to EM, I assumed you had an account here. Are you a platinum member here? If not, I will PM you my MEGA link this weekend (or look at my MAME wheel art thread on the HyperSpin forums).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, Reevesad said:

Hi, could you pm me your maga link at some point when you get a chance. I tried using filezilla but seem to be getting no where fast.

I just tried filezilla and it worked fine for me see instructions below.  

• HOST: files.emumovies.com
  • PORT: 21
  • USERNAME: {forum username}
  • PASSWORD: {forum-password}
  • Select the computer side folder from left panel that you want to download the files to
  • Select Official--Artwork--bezels--Mame standard bezel pack (MAME) from the right side
  • Highlight .zip files you want to transfer in the right panel 
  • drag over to the left panel (The desktop side folder)
  • sit back and wait. I hope this helps 

9 hours ago, foxhound34 said:

I just tried filezilla and it worked fine for me see instructions below.  

• HOST: files.emumovies.com
  • PORT: 21
  • USERNAME: {forum username}
  • PASSWORD: {forum-password}
  • Select the computer side folder from left panel that you want to download the files to
  • Select Official--Artwork--bezels--Mame standard bezel pack (MAME) from the right side
  • Highlight .zip files you want to transfer in the right panel 
  • drag over to the left panel (The desktop side folder)
  • sit back and wait. I hope this helps 

Cheers Foxhound, but I realised the following day back in February that my membership had just run out so that's why access was denied.

So I ended up renewing my membership, and downloading the Bezel files I needed. Have since created about 1800+ bezels which have now been uploaded into Emumovies. A couple days later I  received a lifetime membership for my contributions lol.

4 hours ago, Reevesad said:

Cheers Foxhound, but I realised the following day back in February that my membership had just run out so that's why access was denied.

So I ended up renewing my membership, and downloading the Bezel files I needed. Have since created about 1800+ bezels which have now been uploaded into Emumovies. A couple days later I  received a lifetime membership for my contributions lol.

One of those 1800+ wouldn't happen to be a 16x9 Sunset Rider one would it?

8 hours ago, Reevesad said:

yes. there was a few to choose from but I ended up going with this one.

I found the file and downloaded it. I re-zipped it and named it ssriders (which is the ROM zip file name, although it loads the ssriderebd.zip for the 2-player version) and placed the file in the MAME artwork folder and I couldn't get it to load I also named it ssriderebd just to be sure and that didn't work either.  Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, foxhound34 said:

I found the file and downloaded it. I re-zipped it and named it ssriders (which is the ROM zip file name, although it loads the ssriderebd.zip for the 2-player version) and placed the file in the MAME artwork folder and I couldn't get it to load I also named it ssriderebd just to be sure and that didn't work either.  Any thoughts?

Hi There, Don't zip the folder keep it as it is, as mame will not recognise it. and just rename it the same as the rom name that you have

4 hours ago, Reevesad said:

Hi There, Don't zip the folder keep it as it is, as mame will not recognise it. and just rename it the same as the rom name that you have

Thanks, that totally worked.  These are the only bezels I've come across that don't work zipped.