Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

New codec HEVC H.265

BarMac

Depending on the content, it can get blocky.  I watched an episode of Archer that was encoded in h265 and noticed the blockyness right away.  However, it might be a good idea to have an additional option in h265 for people who care more about saving space than perfect quality

I did a load of tests with it last year, the end result was not as good for our purposes as h.264, it's really shines at the ultrahd resolutions but at 480p file sizes are actually bigger.  There are compatibility issues as well with front ends that don't depend on windows codecs.

My understanding was that it really came into its own at 4K. My recollection was that results were not as good as H264across the board for what we're doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Circo said:

My understanding was that it really came into its own at 4K. My recollection was that results were not as good as H264across the board for what we're doing

Agree.  There's a marginal increase in efficiency that requires a substantial increase in computing power to decode.

Agree.  There's a marginal increase in efficiency that requires a substantial increase in computing power to decode.

Which would be horrible in this hobby as there's a lot of other things going on besides just decoding a video and the computers are usually not state of the art

Hard drive space is cheap too. I just bought a 6TB WD Blue drive for a friends build for $205.  I guess if you want to put the videos on an SSD it will cost you a bit more but I've seen quite a few 240GB drives for $50 lately.

Archived