Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

HS Clean stalation - please help!

BarMac

Hello guys!

Just to know, I'm working on my HS setup, and I have some questions:

first, i will place all my game at external drives, because the size

but, how about the HS program and the emulator?

If i put at the SSD the performance will be improved, or this is lost of money?

or I put everything at HDD external drives?

What you did to your setup?

thanks

Yes mate, you will notice the difference with a SSD.  Themes and vids will load much smoother etc.  

As for roms, you can, although its not advised for SSDs, set the Rocketlauncher path to use the SSD as your extraction location.  So when Hyperspin runs a game, it runs them from the SSD instead of your external drive.

I keep my main HS setup on a 250gb SSD and as long as its just for media, HS files and Emulators its more than good.  It all reacts much smoother and zero stutters even when all the effects are on.

Yes mate, you will notice the difference with a SSD.  Themes and vids will load much smoother etc.  

As for roms, you can, although its not advised for SSDs, set the Rocketlauncher path to use the SSD as your extraction location.  So when Hyperspin runs a game, it runs them from the SSD instead of your external drive.

I keep my main HS setup on a 250gb SSD and as long as its just for media, HS files and Emulators its more than good.  It all reacts much smoother and zero stutters even when all the effects are on.

Keeping HS on a SSD is perfect, extracting roms on the SSD tough will reduce SSD life cycle. SSDs have a limited amount of re-write cycles, when extracting a DVD you will write and then delete 1.2gb-4.7gb, launching lots of dvd games on daily basis might become a problem. Anyway SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper, at last make a backup of your OS installation and HS setup, another bad thing with SSDs is when an SSD has problem recovering data is usally much more difficult than recovering data from a mechanical HD (as far as I know factory failure rate is lower, a traditional HD has more parts that can eventually fail).

Personally I don't do extraction but I do have my iso's in folders using windows built in compression.  Loading is instant and I can still get 8tb of ps2 isos on a 4tb drive

Personally I don't do extraction but I do have my iso's in folders using windows built in compression.  Loading is instant and I can still get 8tb of ps2 isos on a 4tb drive

Tried with a ps1 iso, there's a slight lag when loading the iso into daemon tools compared to "normal" iso but the difference is basically negligible.

Honestly i've never tought to ntfs compression as it's not very effective, which OS are you running? A 50% compression is a good ratio. Here's what i get with seven x64 on a ps1 .bin.  Maybe using compression on the whole folders helps?

9iwzli.png

• 2 weeks later...

I depends on the iso for sure.  I got 50% in ps2, its not as good as 7zip for certain but as you said the speed diff is negligible vs waiting for the file to uncompress from an archive.  

Archived