Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

New to video snap creation - need some help

shulbocka

What's up guys? I've started the long road of making my own videos for submission (and personal use), but I'm running into a strange/lame problem. I noticed that all the 480p videos on this site are in the 640x480 format, but I cannot figure out how to record anything in those exact dimensions. So far I've only tried doing NES games using FCEUX and Nestopia. I've tried using Fraps, but I can't seem to get it to record just the game window, and not my desktop as well, and I've also tried using Camtasia Recorder, set my dimensions to 640x480, but I can't get the FCEUX window to fill the whole recording space. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I don't know. I also tried using FCEUX's recording feature to capture the video, but it won't create avi's with 640x480 dimensions, or even 320x240 for the sake of 240p. I'm not having any problems recording or editing videos, I actually made some good progress on alot of them, until I noticed my dimensions were wrong and had to trash everything. Anyways, if anyone can give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm forgetting, I would greatly appreciate it. I have intentions to create video snaps for as many worthy rom hacks I can find, just need to make sure I do it the right way. I have all the necessary software to do it all too.

I'm working on ROM hacks, but have been super busy with real life stuff (Work, kids, etc). Have you tried manually resizing your emulator window? Did you read the video submission guide here on the site?

Yeah, I know you're working on the ROM hacks too. There's just so dang many, I thought I'd try lessening the load for you and try my hand at making some of them. I tried resizing the window in FCEUX, but it's locked to certain specifics. I tried with Nestopia though and it worked. Also, I did read both the video submission guide/tutorial and the older video snap tutorial guide, and I think the older one mentions that a resize filter is used in Virtualdub, so I'll test that out and see how it goes.

Nestopia is my weapon of choice for NES emulation and doing video snaps. I would follow the newer guide on making the video snaps as the older one no longer applies. Also, try to keep your FPS consistent with FRAPS when encoding to .avi and submitting to Emumovies.

Alright, I'll give Nestopia another go. To tell you the truth though, I think I'm in need of some more ram. The only videos I've gotten to record at full 60fps are ones that I created using the built in avi recorder on FCEUX, and Snes9x. Whenever I record with Fraps or Camtasia, the videos come out really choppy and the colors blink in and out distortion, not to mention the sound issues. I used to use Fraps a lot to create mugen (which is a ram hog) videos on my old pc running XP, and a crappier gfx card, everything else the same except now I'm using Win7 now, and the videos always came out great. Not sure what the deal is now, but I'm not gonna be stopped by this. It will get it figured out eventually. I guess if nothing else I can make my own snaps the best I can for my own use, but I really would like to be able to contribute so everyone else can use them too. I'll keep at it. Maybe just go clean my room mates pc out of all it's ram and hope he doesn't notice.

lol, that's a bad idea stealing RAM, shame on you! Trust me, he'll notice when his computer takes 10 years to boot up :) FRAPS requires a nice large HDD to work with, and most newer console emulators like Dolphin need a good GFX card and fast processor to get decent speeds. What are your current PC specs?

lol I wouldn't really take all my room mates ram, even though it'd be nice. If anything, I'll just try using his pc to capture video. When it comes to my specs, they pretty much suck by today's standards. I'm saving right now to order all the parts I need to build a new pc, mainly so I can play this new game called Starbound. There's a lot of games I can't run, but when I found out that one wouldn't, the line was drawn. Anyways, my specs are...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.01GHz

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard

ATI Radeon HD 7200+ Elite

2 GB Kingston memory

Western Digital 300GB SATA hdd

Maxtor 250GB SATA hdd

:blush:  they suck I know

Archived