Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Video Submission Guidelines and Tutorial [2011 Version] (Basic)

Circo

Black is the only one, hay ho already uploaded lol

Rest are D onwards

Vdub I need to mess around with some quicktime plugins, i got the video to show but had ac1 or something needed for the audio, it gave me a ff00 error I gave up lol vegas just works so i'll stick with it  :thumbsup:

Anyway i'll carry on few left to do, then gamecube next

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use anything you want to edit really, the trick is submitting it in a higher bitrate than we would normally use so we don't have unneccesary degredation.  VDUB is just free.  :)  

I see, i just went though the "official" PS2 on the ftp and uploaded the ones that ain't on there about 8 total, not a big haul but hay ho all helps i suppose 

I have started on Wii now, added boxshots, wasn't too sure if there are any around I have emumovie setup with gameex and downloaded 1 snap i think no boxshots? Will be filling in the videos missing for that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The base tutorial should be updated.

1. Desired FPS capture at 60fps, but conditional on the fact the emulator can render at 60fps without duplicating frames. Other wise capture at the default render speed of the emulator (30, 25, 24, ...). As there is no need for duplicate frames (wasted file size) and frame tweening (blending) is absolutely unwanted (worse quality).

2. If TSCC or Fraps capture codecs are unavailable, and x264 lossless is causing to much overhead, then using UT Video for original captures is recommended.

3. Game video segments should be uploaded in x264 Lossless.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys i am in the middle of making my own intros for custom wheels i made in my hyperspin setup. And while i know how to record every clip for the games i need help in putting it together into one video. I wanted to know how to create that fade transition used on this site when one game is jumping to the next it fades into it? Not a black fade like ive seen in some youtube videos but fading from one game into another and so on until the clip ends.

How it's done on this site is by using an AviSynth script.

There are some limits...some of these can be worked around with more advanced scripting done in the AviSynth script...but we won't touch on that stuff.

Mainly all Video streams should be the same resolution along with the same FPS and the Audio streams the same number of channels, as well as volume.

In other words you are not mixing one Video stream of 640x480 with another that is 800x600...or an Audio Stream that is 5.1 with another that is Mono. Things will just go sideways...or require more explanation of how to work around than I'm willing to do. :)

Okay first off assuming you have a Title video you wish to use...the audio & video need to be loaded into the script & muxed.

Audio_Title = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Video_Title = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Mux_Title = AudioDub( Video_Title , Audio_Title )

You can use whatever your preferred method is of loading media into AviSynth...the main thing is to get it loaded and muxed with an identifiable name.

Next you'll so the exact same thing with every game play video you have.

Audio_Game_1 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Video_Game_1 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Mux___Game_1 = AudioDub( Video_Game_1 , Audio_Game_1 )Audio_Game_2 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )Video_Game_2 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )Mux___Game_2 = AudioDub( Video_Game_2 , Audio_Game_2 )...

Next the Script needs to know what the frame rate is...so this must be gotten from ether the title or one of the game play muxes...doesn't matter since they are all suppose to be the same...right??

FPS = FrameRate( Mux___Game_1 )

Next we need to use the Dissolve Filter and set it to 1.5 seconds worth of frames.

FX_1 = Dissolve( Mux___Game_1 , Mux___Game_2 , ... , Mux_Title , Round( FPS * 1.5 ))

Next add Fade In & Fade Out for half a second.

FX_2 = FadeIn2( FX_1 , Round( FPS / 2 ))FX_3 = FadeIO2( FX_2 , Round( FPS / 2 ))

Finally we limit the FPS of the video...ideally this is 60FPS but if your recordings are not at that speed that is fine as well...just limit it to something that can be maintained and is a typical FPS for video recording.

ChangeFPS( FX_3 , 30 , true )

In the above example I limited the FPS to 30. You'll also notice that I didn't assign the last action to a variable...this effectively returns all our voodoo to the outbound streams.

In the end you should end up with an AviSyth script that looks something like this,

Audio_Title = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Video_Title = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Mux_Title = AudioDub( Video_Title , Audio_Title )Audio_Game_1 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Video_Game_1 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Audio_Game_2 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )Video_Game_2 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )...Mux___Game_1 = AudioDub( Video_Game_1 , Audio_Game_1 )Mux___Game_2 = AudioDub( Video_Game_2 , Audio_Game_2 )...FPS = FrameRate( Mux___Game_1 )FX_1 = Dissolve( Mux___Game_1 , Mux___Game_2 , ... , Mux_Title , Round( FPS * 1.5 ))FX_2 = FadeIn2( FX_1 , Round( FPS / 2 ))FX_3 = FadeIO2( FX_2 , Round( FPS / 2 ))ChangeFPS( FX_3 , 30 , true )

Now if you want to do it without Fade In & Out...then you would end up with something like this.

Audio_Title = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Video_Title = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Title.avi" )Mux_Title = AudioDub( Video_Title , Audio_Title )Audio_Game_1 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Video_Game_1 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_1.avi" )Audio_Game_2 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )Video_Game_2 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_2.avi" )Audio_Game_3 = DirectShowSource( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_3.avi" )Video_Game_3 = DSS2            ( "C:\SomeVideoSomeWhere\Game_3.avi" )...Mux___Game_1 = AudioDub( Video_Game_1 , Audio_Game_1 )Mux___Game_2 = AudioDub( Video_Game_2 , Audio_Game_2 )Mux___Game_3 = AudioDub( Video_Game_3 , Audio_Game_3 )...Game__Frames = Framecount( Mux___Game_1 )Clip_Count = Int( Game__Frames / 3 )FPS = FrameRate( Mux___Game_1 )Game_Part_1 = Mux___Game_1.Trim( 0 , Clip_Count )Game_Part_2 = Mux___Game_1.Trim( Clip_Count + 1 , Game__Frames - 1 )FX_1 = Dissolve( Game_Part_2 , Mux___Game_2 , Mux___Game_3 , ... , Mux_Title , Game_Part_1 , Round( FPS * 1.5 ))ChangeFPS( FX_1 , 30 , true )

Lets not forget resizing if it's required...should your video prove to be over 480p high.

x = float( width ) / float( height )spline64resize( round( x * 480.0 / 4.0 ) * 4 , 480 )

Use whatever your preferred resize filter maybe...but slap the code onto the ass end of the script.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never come across decent "freeware" capture software. Our recommended editor is free. If you have a newer nvidia card shadow play works on some stuff.

I am looking forward to trying OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) for screen recording. Anyone has tried that before? Any reason why this should not be used?

I am looking forward to trying OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) for screen recording. Anyone has tried that before? Any reason why this should not be used?

I haven't tried it but it will mostly depend on if you can get a solid frame 60fps rate. For instance I tried Microsoft's new built in game recording and it sucks with frame rates below 30fps. Right now my two favorite capture methods are Nvidia Share, which is included in the new beta. I like this for full screen recordings, frame rates are not an issue because it puts all the capture overhead on the video card and not the cpu. For windowed recording I recommend bandicam as it also uses the video card instead of the cpu for capture. I have stopped using fraps and am strictly using these two now. Let me know how you get on with this.

I haven't tried it but it will mostly depend on if you can get a solid frame 60fps rate. For instance I tried Microsoft's new built in game recording and it sucks with frame rates below 30fps. Right now my two favorite capture methods are Nvidia Share, which is included in the new beta. I like this for full screen recordings, frame rates are not an issue because it puts all the capture overhead on the video card and not the cpu. For windowed recording I recommend bandicam as it also uses the video card instead of the cpu for capture. I have stopped using fraps and am strictly using these two now. Let me know how you get on with this.

Well... just tried OBS and count me puzzled because at first sight it seemed to go like a breeze :D

Everything seemed too good and too simple to be true (also considering that I know nearly nothing about video stuff), there must be something wrong somewhere... can I attach some sample file recorded with OBS here? It would be great if someone could check out if it fits with the submission requirements.

Of course something was wrong... :dash2:

It doesn't let me change the coders, it's always x264 (mp4) video and AAC or mp3 audio. That would be good for my own use, but doesn't meet emumovies requirements.

Nothing wrong with that codec, it gets the job done, but you need to crank the bit-rate.

post-1-0-49121000-1454361889_thumb.png

Actually this software looks quite promising, especially with the Nvidia NVENC option. I'm working on some fills on a few sets today and I'll give it a try but I would say you are good to go with this. That being said to meet the submission requirements it needs to be a title video and a gameplay vid. But I am planning on allowing rough captures for those not comfortable with the editing process. There is so much to do that even if we just had captures submitted that would be a big chunk of the work done already. Any help is much appreciated. If your interested in helping out with some of the missing please let me know and I will get you set up.

I'm itching to get back to doing video snaps, it's been almost a year since I've been able to do anything thanks to situations beyond my control. There used to be a thread around here awhile back of what was missing. Should we start a new one or is that one still being updated??

Nothing wrong with that codec, it gets the job done, but you need to crank the bit-rate.

Actually this software looks quite promising, especially with the Nvidia NVENC option. I'm working on some fills on a few sets today and I'll give it a try but I would say you are good to go with this. That being said to meet the submission requirements it needs to be a title video and a gameplay vid. But I am planning on allowing rough captures for those not comfortable with the editing process. There is so much to do that even if we just had captures submitted that would be a big chunk of the work done already. Any help is much appreciated. If your interested in helping out with some of the missing please let me know and I will get you set up.

Ok! Great news then :)

Are those video (CBS 10kbps) and audio bitrates (192bps) in your attached pictures the wanted ones? The video constant bit rate 10k will probably result in a very large file, something like ~40-45Mb for 30 seconds.

I was aware of the need for separate title video and gameplay video, here I attached just a 10s sample to check if the quality and parameters were acceptable. No problem with doing also the titles. But if I can avoid the need for editing/mixing, it would certainly be a lot easier.

Currently I am having some problems with emulators that don't use their entire window for the game screen, in which case some cropping is needed, but I am quite sure this should be possible within OBS. When I figure it out, I can start sending you actual snaps. [i can also write instructions for using OBS for our purposes, but it's so easy that I am not sure we need them]

I am certainly happy to help... I need many missing video snaps for myself anyway, so why not sharing them? Just be warned that I will be slow, doing this task between work, family, studying...

I still have to questions before starting submissions:

#1 - What to do with games/systems that don't have a 4:3 aspect ratio? Clearly the game video must have its own correct aspect ratio. But should we create video snaps that are always 640x480 (ratio 4:3) and just include some blank bands for example on top/bottom, OR should we create a video file that matches the game's original ratio?

See attached screenshots as a reference, and tell me which one is the way to go (or something else!):

option_1 > total size set to 640x480, some extra screen is captured above and below

option_2 > total size set to 640x480, no extra screen captured, blank area fills

option_3 > total size set to 640x400 (same as the original source)

#2 - Are you absolutely sure you want CBR (constant bit rate 10000kbps)? I just tested it and 30 seconds of video snap are ~40Mb of file. If we set VBR (variable bit rate with MAX 10000kbps) it ends up less than 1Mb, quality not visibly affected.

post-14783-0-89223000-1454754573_thumb.j

post-14783-0-28669500-1454754581_thumb.j

post-14783-0-65895900-1454754587_thumb.j

I'm replying from my cell phone real quick so I'll be brief but if you're doing in existing system or any system for that matter submit a single actual submission preferably with the forum post we work out the kinks and then you go ahead. I have had people submit over 1000 videos wrong that we had to toss out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2016 at 6:54 AM, osg said:

Thanks. I might start making some of these once I get my rig up and running properly. Is there a way to book mark this thread for easy reference later?

Old post I know, but you can bookmark the thread by bookmarking it in your browser :cool:

• 2 months later...

Anybody know what settings i have to put in Adobe Premier to make the video file size like the ones here? I tried to make my own intro for my hyperspin setup using OBS to capture and Adobe Premier to edit and my videos are coming out to 200mb or more. I compared my video to the nes intro created by Circo and the nes intro has 17 games in it so i made a video with 16 games and my video is 196mb while the nes video is 9.52mb. What am i doing wrong?

Archived