Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

MLSchleps' MAME Overlays for Retropie and 1920x1080 displays

MLSchleps

Taking a break from the Dreamcast covers and am putting together some MAME Bezels and Marquee packs for my Retropie.  I wasn't happy with the available overlays that are out there, so I decided to make some myself.  I think they turned out pretty well and I'll be releasing them on this thread.  Enclosed in each pack attachment will be the marquee at 1000 pixels wide, a bezel overlay with the artwork on the sides and any background picture needed at 1920x1080 pixels and the necessary Retropie config files.  I am using MAME2003 as the basis as this version runs fastest on my hardware, so the config files are tailored for that version.

Using Pac-Man as an example, the pacman-image.jpg file goes in the downloaded images folder and replaces the scraped image file.  Create a new folder in the Overlay folder called "MAME2003" and place the pacman.cfg and pacman.png files there.  The pacman.zip.cfg file goes in the ROMS folder.

Here is a list of where the files go in Retropie 4.4:

gamelist:  opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/mame-libretro
marquees:  opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images/mame-libretro
overlays:  opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlay/Mame2003
samples:  home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/mame2003/samples
ROMS & .zip.cfg:  home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/

pacman.png.dbb7aa40488ef1a8dd790c9f6e053f7b.png

pacman.zip

• Like 1

Today's bezel is different.  This is my first Horizontal bezel and it took some time to do.  Presenting Berzerk!  The video image is the same size as the vertical games: 1080x810 - a 4:3 ratio.  I had to stretch the bezel so you could see the whole screen - the Robot's arm was covering up the gameplay field, so it's a slight modification from the original bezel.

berzerk.png.24da742aa8b00234090fc168968f57a7.png

berzerk.zip

• Like 1

MAME2003 doesn't support layers and backgrounds, so after many tests and experiments, I have come up with this bezel for Space Invaders.  There's no way to do the red and green stripes, but the moon background is there and I am pleased with the results.  Make sure you use the scripts in the zip file to make it show up correctly.

invaders.png.f16abb9cc0cf18ae1893a80fc5171971.png

invaders.zip