Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astrouga

This game is not playable videos

I have several videos in my collections that simply display "This game is not playable" and I am trying to interpret this correctly. It seems possible that a newer version of an emulator might add support for a rom (otherwise why have the rom in my collection in the first place?). In that case, a game might be playable but just have an outdated video. I am still building my system, so I have not been able to test all of these games that have this video yet. I just figured I would remove all videos and roms from my list that display this message.

astrouga

I have several videos in my collections that simply display "This game is not playable" and I am trying to interpret this correctly. It seems possible that a newer version of an emulator might add support for a rom (otherwise why have the rom in my collection in the first place?). In that case, a game might be playable but just have an outdated video. I am still building my system, so I have not been able to test all of these games that have this video yet. I just figured I would remove all videos and roms from my list that display this message.

astrouga

A lot of them that say not playable do actually play but something is still wrong with them whether it's audio, video or some other bug they are not emulated 100 percent correct as of your latest version of rom/emulator. I usually just get rid of them, they ususally aren't games I would want anyhow.

A lot of them that say not playable do actually play but something is still wrong with them whether it's audio, video or some other bug they are not emulated 100 percent correct as of your latest version of rom/emulator. I usually just get rid of them, they ususally aren't games I would want anyhow.

Thanks. I will get rid of them. Follow-up question then -- why even include these video stubs in the packs? It is silly. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have videos only for playable games? I can't imagine anyone wants their cabinet to display a "game not playable" video.

astrouga

Yeah, I also things it's a bit pointless. You could set your missing default video in the frontend. And that way you know which videos are actually missing.

the reason i include them is:

#1 they are small

#2 members assumed the videos were just missing.

#3 it makes it easier for me to track when updating a set

I appreciate them. My HS setup is more than just a "cabinet" of playable games, but also a game encyclopedia of sorts. Even if the rom doesn't play I will have it in my wheel, and it's nice to know at a glance which won't play. Besides, just because they don't play now doesnt mean they won't some day in the future.

those videos are the first thing I check when going back through mame.

Thanks. I will get rid of them. Follow-up question then -- why even include these video stubs in the packs? It is silly. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have videos only for playable games? I can't imagine anyone wants their cabinet to display a "game not playable" video.

astrouga

its called completeness,and thats not silly.I can personally say I would rather have a video of "this game is not playable"then nothing at all that leaves you wondering...... :)

I would MUCH rather have a video with a small caption on the bottom such as --------ERROR--------ERROR------- The world changes and so does hardware those that did not work now may work perfectly tomorrow, and some that claim don't work on some systems work on others fully, and I would like to view the gameplay even if I cant play the game due to it's problems and if I like the gameplay I may go out and buy it for the original systems I own.   

lol what is with random people bumping ancient topics? I don't even know what you're trying to say but you seem very confused.

A video displaying it's not playable has absolutely nothing to do with "hardware" or it not being playable on certain systems. It means the game is not playable in any emulators yet and cannot be recorded.

While there may be a few left in sets, we don't add these anymore and @DamnedRegistrations has been doing a wonderful job getting true preview vids in place of these