badflame

Best emulator for each system?

29 posts in this topic

RetroArch all the way for everything except for a few exceptions, (dang you Atari 5200!)  RA is very versatile and helpful for a ton of things.

RetroArch is not an emulator.

Anyway, I have seen all those lists that supposedly list best emulators per system, but you will always find people that disagree.

I have only three that cannot change.

- For Arcade and most obscure systems. MAME. Which I hope becomes better and better renders others useless (including the use of RetroArch - because if you use MAME for everything then there is no point for RA).

- For Amiga: WinUAE. BY FAR the most developed Amiga emulator. Tom is a wizard dev. Probably would work for Commodore if they were still a proper company.

- For C64 (and other 8bit Commodore): WinVICE. Also the most developed CBM emulator. They are a bit weird with their official releases (although they are looking to re-normalize them), but their nightlies are fine too.

All others vary.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, f8lbyte said:

RetroArch all the way for everything except for a few exceptions, (dang you Atari 5200!)

There is now an Atari800 core which includes support for the 5200. There is some setup required of course but it works very well. H.E.R.O. plays so good on it with a proper digital controller, so responsive and 2 buttons :)