Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

EmuMovies Front End Poll '16

Circo

Which Front Ends Do You Use  

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. Choose all that you use (Multiple Choice)

• emuControlCenter
    • GameEx
    • HyperSpin
    • LaunchBox
    • Mala
    • mGalaxy
    • Retro FE
    • Rom Collection Browser (Kodi)
    • AttractMode
    • RetroPi
    • Maximus Arcade

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2016 at 2:40 PM, mots54 said:

Loving the user friendly Launchbox.

Launchbox is great, but it seems clunky without a mouse. I'll always say you should have a keyboard close by and ready for search purposes but feeling like you need to use a mouse to casually browse through systems and games instead of gamepad is not ideal unless you have a desktop setup. I don't want to have to use my air mouse on my media center same with arcade setups. It is too bad, it's a slick looking front end.

On 16/05/2016 at 7:02 PM, ThePagel said:

Launchbox is great, but it seems clunky without a mouse. I'll always say you should have a keyboard close by and ready for search purposes but feeling like you need to use a mouse to casually browse through systems and games instead of gamepad is not ideal unless you have a desktop setup. I don't want to have to use my air mouse on my media center same with arcade setups. It is too bad, it's a slick looking front end.

I use it on my cabinet and it works just fine with my control panel, it's very simple to define your controls. The problem you had could of been on an older version as I have only just started using it from version 5.1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried a few FE's over the years but my current favorite is LaunchBox. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Hyperspin but it looks nice and is easy to configure. Also it has been updated several times since I started using it and it's only getting better!!

I can't vote because as was mentioned, HyperSpin and LaunchBox serve somewhat different purposes and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I have them launching each other. I love my HyperSpin build, and the work the community members put in to it is unparalleled. The customization is pretty limitless. 

But I actually USE launchbox much more frequently. It's much easier to keep up to date, especially with new PC games. The community is smaller, but no less dedicated, and the dev is really active. He's almost as active as DJVJ on RL, which I have to imagine is not easy.  Answered a few of my questions himself. BigBox is pretty flawless for HTPC.

They both work with RocketLauncher, and so...yeah, sorry, can't choose. :D

On 5/16/2016 at 1:02 PM, ThePagel said:

Gamepad works great with the bigbox feature, but it is a pay to play feature.

I never really liked front ends for my emulators (have been using emulators since Glide and a Voodoo card made N64 HLE emulation really cool) I always found they didn't really add anything and usually where a pain to set up, I tried Hyperspin a few years back and couldn't figure it out... (I am sure it's easier now and probably a lot better.) 

Recently a friend told me to try out LaunchBox, it really is easier to set up than I remember Hyperspin being so I figured out some tweeks for my emulators, I love the whole boxart thing!!! Makes picking a game out more fun. 

Brings back a lot of memories for me with out having to dig out my collection... (I have literally thousands of games, but 99% of them are stored in boxes because no room for them all lol) 

4 hours ago, PsionicRoshambo said:

I never really liked front ends for my emulators (have been using emulators since Glide and a Voodoo card made N64 HLE emulation really cool) I always found they didn't really add anything and usually where a pain to set up, I tried Hyperspin a few years back and couldn't figure it out... (I am sure it's easier now and probably a lot better.) 

Recently a friend told me to try out LaunchBox, it really is easier to set up than I remember Hyperspin being so I figured out some tweeks for my emulators, I love the whole boxart thing!!! Makes picking a game out more fun. 

Brings back a lot of memories for me with out having to dig out my collection... (I have literally thousands of games, but 99% of them are stored in boxes because no room for them all lol) 

That's exactly why I love Launchbox and it gets better and better with every update :D

I'm torn between Hyperspin and LB. I'm just starting to set up one or maybe both...dunno. I like features of each that the other doesn't have so i'm a bit conflicted at the moment.

1 hour ago, alexis524 said:

I'm torn between Hyperspin and LB. I'm just starting to set up one or maybe both...dunno. I like features of each that the other doesn't have so i'm a bit conflicted at the moment.

Both are great but it really depends on what your want from a FE, I use Launchbox as it's very user friendly and easy to customise :D

I´m just migrating from hyperspin to Launchbox, reasons?  Launchbox implemented a weel similar to hyperspin so now it´s equally on "eyecandy" and much easy to configure, also updated more frequently and not based on old and buggy flash platform. I love hyperspin comunity, but my frontend now is launchbox.

I always used to use Maximus arcade as it was simple and tidy.

Sadly as its no longer supported it is missing things that I need so I switched to  hyperspin after much research.

Hyperspin was much more complex and harder to set up than Max Arcade and I have probably spent a week getting it fully to where I want to it be but In the end it was worth it and I am very happy with the results.

Of course it was a steep learning curve for me being a hyper noob and I never do things the simple/easy way :p but now I know what needs to be done I think I could do it all again in half the time or less.

Oh and of course the Hyperspin community is awesome.

So yeah Hyperspin for me.

mGalaxy for sure!!

On 31/05/2016 at 0:20 AM, zlagos said:

Hyperspin is overly ornate and childish for me ...
I prefer a simple, elegant, clear and functional frontend, as mGalaxy

I second this...and I couldn't choice Launchbox (I really don't know why so much (in appearance) people are on it), I feel that the author is simply ripping the work and ideas of others: the database is a complete rip of thegamesdb, the 'wheel'...well, no need to say more, the 'themes': it's now possible to rip a video from Hyperspin running and use it as a theme!?...Come on!!!)...My opinion, don't want to get in a fight with other users ;-)

GameEx. Pimp it.

mGalaxy for sure!!

I second this...and I couldn't choice Launchbox (I really don't know why so much (in appearance) people are on it), I feel that the author is simply ripping the work and ideas of others: the database is a complete rip of thegamesdb, the 'wheel'...well, no need to say more, the 'themes': it's now possible to rip a video from Hyperspin running and use it as a theme!?...Come on!!!)...My opinion, don't want to get in a fight with other users ;-)

Well, it's all legit what he does. He's combining the best stuff and in a great speed. Love his dedication to build something great. 6.0 is a great release and much More Nice things to come.

Archived