Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

DIY Star Wars Cockpit Cabinet

SpyhunterUK

Having search endlessly attempting to find a Star Wars Cockpit cabionet in good condition (and not for a huge amount of money) I have decided to build my own.

This will be the ultimate cab (compared to my old one) in the way of controls including illuminated sticks and buttons, steering wheels, light guns, spinner, rollerball, etc etc

my previous cabinet had a XArcade controller which is great but I want to make this one a little bit special.

I have decided to cut down my 39 emulators down to the 'best of the best' including C64, Amiga, MAME, Atari 2600, N64, SNES, PSX and Laserdisc (all my memories).

I have attached the draft dimension planning (as it's now 2 Player design and image is VERY first draft) which always helps me get the controls, seating and other dimensions worked out.  As sometimes it looks good on paper but not in reality.  This will be my 4th cabinet build although the first cockpit seated one.  I will be getting the original side art on it as well.  I will keep pics coming as and when the work commences (very slowly at the moment).  Although I have a deadline of around July this year for completion. 

I will be using the fantastic GameEx Menu system and have been working on the system (out of cabinet) in readiness for the cabinet insertion.  I also have a 36" (or is it 32"?) TV to go in there :)

02 - 20 Feb (1).jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys this had to be put on hold for a bit due to some health issues but I will be working on this soon enough and will post some new images.  (It's still going to be built, believe me!)

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a shed... ermmm man cave where it will go LOL

Sides have now been cut.  I am cutting the inside bars to hold it altogether then adding the interior before working on the seat and top.

Will post more images soon.

Have decided to go for steering wheels that clip ono spinners for the car games :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know have the sides cut and corners rounded.  About to mark on the inside for the beams to go aross (width) to support controls, casters, monitor, etc etc

I will uload some more images as soon s I have completed the marking phase.

After that I will begin to add pieces to hold the beams (wood) then join it ll togeesthe so no screws/joins are seen from the inside. :)

Ooh, I have also created the top template which fits perfectly but I am waiting until I get the whole thing together (joined at the bottom floor area with space for cables, etc for rear speakers and lighting) until I finalise the top shape.

I mut say it is beeginning to look a lot like the cockpit cabinet now :)

nearly done for somes photos.  I'm about to cut some rails to join the two sides together.  organised the t-molding (black with chrome stripe) and making sure it will fit the sits and the perspex on the sides, etc so its all flush. (not putting on yet though)

will upload pics soon when it is all up and looks like the cabinet :)  

Still a long way to go yet though but getting there!

Archived