Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Video Submission Guidelines and Tutorial [2011 Version] (Basic)

Circo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
On 11/08/2016 at 3:11 AM, Circo said:

I use command line ffmpeg and tweak for each set.  But an easy way is to just use handbrake to reencode after you pop it out of premiere.

Handbreak is finally out of beta. I also used it to convert various videos type, including new codecs like h265.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/1/2017 at 2:04 AM, crmlabs said:

Handbreak is finally out of beta. I also used it to convert various videos type, including new codecs like h265.

I was not aware of that. Time to upgrade and maybe to collaborate in the near future.

• 3 months later...

I can't imagine any sane person recording in XviD these days (terrible size to quality ratio compared to h264) so it probably needs an update.

Vids should be recorded in raw avi at 60fps. I'm still using FRAPs as it puts out the best quality footage but something like Bandicam set to RGB24 should also do the trick. Then encode your recorded footage using x264 set to Lossless. One clip with 30 seconds of gameplay, another clip with 8 seconds of title screen or menu. Personally I use good old VirtualDub to this day with x264vfw installed. Works great. But yeah, don't use Xvid anymore.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.f92693ef8b8ee0c6bdb66d9211f4cb07.jpg

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, darkice83 said:

when recording super nintendo videos, is there any shaders we should use? i.e super saix2?

Do not use any shaders or filters when recording videos. That also means disabling bilinear filtering which many emulators have enabled by default. Also always record and encode vids in their proper aspect ratio too. 

• 4 weeks later...

@DamnedRegistrations Any chance you can post your Fraps settings.

Also there's a few things I am still unsure of.

At what point is the video sized? If i record record at full screen its going to be massive. Ive had a look on the FTP to see what other people have done and there is a variety of sizes, which is correct?

Lastly, what format should these be submitted in?

Sorry for all the questions I would just rather get this right.

@RLBradders26

Here's my FRAPS settings, obviously choose whatever directories and hotkeys you like:

Clipboard01.jpg.b8ecb944d444abee56ed6733f6cad446.jpgClipboard02.jpg.93d131578e13953b3cc7b3bebd74ea5a.jpgClipboard03.jpg.0932297855d2ba3bc50b83fe13c113cb.jpg

You should record your footage with the emulator in window mode, not fullscreen. You do the resizing in VirtualDub using "Nearest Neighbor" in order to retain sharpness, very important. Try to always keep aspect ratio locked too. If you need to know the video size for certain systems, just check the videos that have already been done here for them. 640x480 is most common.

Files should be saved as avi with x264 codec set to lossless as pictured above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you have to download each game data separately, or can you get a file with them all in

On 2/15/2011 at 5:35 AM, Nologic said:

hmm I still don't like the idea of dropping lossless source files.

One could use x264 in lossless mode...while it most likely will not get down to Xvid level 1 or 2 it will at least be much smaller than TSCC.

Sample Video:

TSCC = 52.6mb

x264 (Medium) = 38.7mb

x264 (Very Slow) = 33.7mb

x264 (Placebo) = 32.8mb

Minus the audio stream:

TSCC = 42.6mb

x264 (Medium) = 28.7mb

x264 (Very Slow) = 23.7mb

x264 (Placebo) = 22.8mb

So nearly half the size at it's best setting...and keep in mind it's still lossless.

http://sourceforge.n...ojects/x264vfw/

Set it up as displayed in the attached image.

post-18-0-10222600-1297776913_thumb.png

Yes

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived