Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

POLL: Which Front-End is your favorite

Circo

Favorite Front-End (FE's that support video snaps)  

1,568 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite front-end?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first FE was GameEX, and it was a completely different experiance than just opening an emulator on its own. I now configuring Hyperspin, and that's what marked, but GameEX is still awesome.

I don't remember if I said this earlier but I share the same sentiments. In fact while I run HyperSpin on my 2 cabs I run GameEx on my PC. Two completely different programs.

Hello there!

GameEx is currently my front-end of choice. Sure it doesn't have the instant WOW factor of HyperSpin, yet, but that can be worked on. I like that it uses databases for each platform and that they cross-link so that if you're looking at the MAME version of 'Out Run' it also lists the ports for whatever other computer/console you have added to GameEx, and let's you play them. Marvellous! :good2:

I like the smooth transitions that Maximus Arcade uses, but to be honest, I haven't really spent much time trying to configure it, so it wouldn't be fair to judge it.

HyperSpin looks amazing, but it does worry me that the opening HS animation can't play properly on my P4 HT @ 3GHz, like its not powerful enough! :shok: - but again I haven't really spent much time trying to configure it, so it wouldn't be fair to judge it.

As others have mentioned, I used GameEx on a PC and would possibly use HyperSpin on a cabinet, but only if GameEx couldn't be pimped to appear as 'flashy'!

I even remember a time when I used AdvancedMAME and it's MNG/MP3 game previews. Ah, happy times!

Slightly off-topic, though it is also a game launcher, but someone mentioned XBMC. I'm using that on a classic XBOX and the interface for that has truly evolved over time. It would be ideal if the people creating the skins for XBMC could be encouraged to create some for GameEx (hint, hint)!

my only issue with hyperspin was the big round title wheel had so much priority on screen making things too busy. I'm excited to see what the big new version has in store, and koolbreeze has done a great job on reworking the wheels down to a vertical bar.

my only issue with hyperspin was the big round title wheel had so much priority on screen making things too busy. I'm excited to see what the big new version has in store, and koolbreeze has done a great job on reworking the wheels down to a vertical bar.

You can change the settings so that the wheel fades from sight upon resting.

i would say hyperspin but i have used 3d arcade as well (more of a bugger to set up)

I can speak from the experience of 'actually' using them all, and I have to say Hyperspin.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually bought Maximus Arcade but found that the forums were empty and no further development seemed to be taking place so I stopped using it. It's a shame because it had so much potential. I kinda want my money back lol!

I love Hyperspin for it's awesome community and continued development, not to mention all the amazing artwork.

I too purchased Maximus Arcade, while it does the job and looks great with all the themes and videos... I do think Hyperspin looks impressive, but the time it will take to download all the themes etc make me just stick with Maximus.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few years I've moved from Mame32 --> Mamewah --> Mala --> GameEx --> Hyperspin, which I'm installing for the first time in a new cabinet for a 6 year old. Hyperspin is the easiest to set up IMO and the artwork options really make it pop.

GameEx.. and me, Brian and Tempest are in the process of updating the setup system so that setting it up will be even easier.

I would like to setup Hyperspin on my cab as an alternative as I think it would be a better FE for younger people as they tend to get lost in GameEx a bit. That being said the XMas party this year went without a hitch and kids absolutley loved playing games using GameEx. The simple menu in HS and graphics are great and probably better suited.. I would like to set it up with a good bunch of solid games (most popular). And I did notice that there is a lack of a "children" category for games.. really would have helped alot as searching out the best games seemed to be a bit of a show stopper. I wonder if HS can do game categories as that would be a great feature. Now my only problem with HS is finding a torrent with all the themes and all that together in a single package. Seems the full package only gets posted as a usenet binary.

Also I have to say the GameEx and HS communities are great and run by really cool people. Also think loadman's doing a great job with MaLa (and I love that MaLa logo for some reason hehe :D)

Archived