Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Can you download media once and use across many frontends?

Clutz450

Right now I am trying to set up both HyperSpin and Launchbox.  Then once I get those done I want to try and get RocketLauncher all set up with Pause and it's associated media.  Here is what I am seeing right now.  HyperSpin, Launchbox and RocketLauncher all have their own media folder in their installations.  I have a lifetime subscription here and have used HyperSync to download media for HyperSpin and Launchbox to download media for Launchbox.  But now I have media in 2 places that's taking up a lot of space and I'm assuming a lot if not all of the media I have is duplicates.  So what I wanted to know is if there is some kind of standard with the media?  Like I think my collection of ROMs is as perfect as it's going to get and I shouldn't have to add, delete, rename or change them anymore.  So I was wondering if I could just use some program (possibly EmuMovies Sync) scan all my ROMs and download every piece of media there is for each ROM so that all I have to do from that point on is point each frontend to that one media folder and just have everything work.  Is that possible?  Or are there too many differences between all the frontends that a setup like that wouldn't work?  Thanks.

Damn.  Looks like I'm going to have to buy another hard drive now.  Lol.  Another quick question for you though since I have your attention.  Like I said before I use Hypersync for Hyperspin media and Launchbox for Launchbox media which both automatically download everything for me.  Is there any kind of program that will do the same for the rocket launcher media?  I haven't tried your EmuMovies Sync program yet.  Is the answer I am looking for possibly in there?  Or is this more of a question for the rocketlauncher forums?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I think you shoudl be able to do that, in Hyperspin HQ you have the option to point to Media folders manually. You have the same option in Rocketlauncher but i suppose the folder structure inside the Media folder is not the same in those two launchers. I did not fiddle around with the settings cfg files but i'm sure there is a way to configure all the frontend/launchers to use one Media folders.

• 2 months later...

You can use the same art in Launchbox and you do not need to duplicate your art folders. In Launchbox simply edit each platform and in there you can set the paths to each art type folder to your Hyperspin art.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am in the process of doing the same thing here myself actually.

So far it seems that all of the FE's i have looked at have the preference to import media into its own folder structure, but also has the flexability to allow you to map to an external directory.

Also if your FE can point to Rocket Launcher you can manage all of your mapping configuration through rocket launcher once, and then just point the FE to rocket launcher.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived