Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

LaunchBox and RetroFE theme?

Ted777

Hey all,

I'm new to front ends, but after searching around, I've decided to go with LaunchBox with Big Box.  I really like the RetroFE theme (not sure if there is more than one), but the theme that is currently on youtube prebuilt.  Is there a way to make LaunchBox look similar to RetroFE?

The theme is called Aeon Nox, and originated on xbmc/kodi. I don't know if it's available on BigBox, but if you like it so much, why not simply use RetroFE in stead?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I like the overall setup and support of LaunchBox.  I find it easier to setup.  I may just run a second version with RetroFE as well, was just hoping there was a theme similar to that so I didn't have to switch between FE's.  Thanks for letting me know the theme name though!

This is awesome, I will be picking up a copy of RetroFE soon for sure to start playing with it.  I'm still trying to learn how FE's work so bare with me.  Hopefully my ignorance can help you with perspectives of a newcomer.  Do you have some resources to get me started, especially with that theme we were talking about lol

Thanks so much, I'll take a look at it sometime this week.  Hoping to sign up for membership here soon, just reading around a bit more before I make another financial commitment.  Stay tuned, I will be trying it out for sure!  Never enough time and money for these hobbies lol

Again, thanks for the replies, hope to see more strides with RetroFE, from what I've seen so far, it is a top contender for sure!

This site is currently the only one providing videos for emulation front-ends that I know of (other than the MAME set at PD), so IMHO a membership here is certainly worth it no matter which front-end you're using. I'm not sure how LB/BB handles their video downloads; whether you need a membership here or not, but my guess is that you do (anyone care to chip in?), in which case it will come in handy either way. Another community to keep in mind is the HyperSpin community; they provide quite a bit of the additional artwork used in front-ends, and you can find a lot of material in their download section.

Even then, it's quite a lot of work getting a front-end all set up and ready; hence my modular system upload. It should save you quite a bit of time getting certain systems complete and up and running. I guess it depends a bit on which systems you're most interested in. :)

Out of curiosity, if I choose to use both LaunchBox and RetroFE (thinking to use LaunchBox on the HTPC and RetroFE for my future arcade cabinet), can I easily transfer all the data, images, videos that I organise in LaunchBox into to RetroFE and vice versa?  Or will I be spending double effort trying to maintain both FE's.

9 minutes ago, Ted777 said:

Out of curiosity, if I choose to use both LaunchBox and RetroFE (thinking to use LaunchBox on the HTPC and RetroFE for my future arcade cabinet), can I easily transfer all the data, images, videos that I organise in LaunchBox into to RetroFE and vice versa?  Or will I be spending double effort trying to maintain both FE's.

I'm not 100% sure how LaunchBox organises its artwork to be honest, since I'm not a user myself, but I think it should not be too hard to transfer. Using RocketLauncher, you could even easily set it up to use the same launching mechanisms. It's a bit of work, but I think you should be able to point your RetroFE collection paths towards a LB setup to use the same directories; perhaps LB will allow something similar in reverse as well. I know there are people that use RetroFE and HyperSpin in that way (someone even wrote a script to automatically point your RetroFE collections towards a HyperSpin install if I recall correctly); using a single set of art, videos, roms, and RocketLauncher setup with both front-ends (mostly people who already had a full HyperSpin setup, and wanted to try out RetroFE).

2 minutes ago, Ted777 said:

Certainly!  Do I get the Aeon Nox theme from this site as well?  Or is that included in the pre built package?

Both; Aeon Nox is the default RetroFE theme these days, so it's included in the base package on EmuMovies as well as part of the full download in the download section of http://www.retrofe.nl. This download section also contains additional themes you can use.

On 2/11/2017 at 1:15 PM, phulshof said:

RetroFE is free to use, so feel free to play around with it. :) Should you happen to have a membership here on EmuMovies, you can find a new modular system in the Upload section of the EmuMovies FTP site. See

for more details. You can always find help at the RetroFE website: http://www.retrofe.nl

Thank you for this info, hopefully next week I will be able to check out the modular system as I think it will have more appeal to me.

• 1 year later...

Started using Launch box, didn't know it existed but damn it's pretty sweet I must say.  Synced it with google and now I can get my games and saves any where I go. Badassness right there.

Archived